Creature — Zombie Wizard
Whenever this or another Zombie you control dies (is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, tokens are put into the graveyard before they cease to exist), you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Undead Augur Discussion
23 hours ago
Combos These are just a few of the combos that I Can see with this deck.
4 days ago
Thanks for the suggestions! I opted to cut Smothering Abomination instead of Undead Augur or Village Rites. I like Rites as it is burst card draw which I don't have a lot of right now. I have a ton of steady card draw (death draw basically) but not a lot of burst draw. I think I'll probably swap Rites out for Read the Bones eventually. While I agree on the "may" issue with Undead Augur, it is a creature so I can always sacrifice it if I am afraid of decking myself (which I've accidentally done with Dark Prophecy in the past). Plus it has zombie synergy. Smothering Abomination got the axe because it is basically another version of my commander that I can't control as well.
1 more cut...always the hardest one to remove.
4 days ago
2 weeks ago
Hey Kadj, thanks for your comment! I’m on the fence about running the full set of Undead Augur. In the past I’ve been in situations where I draw into too many Augurs at one time and the life loss can get out of hand. I feel like Plague Belcher is very important in this build due to the life loss it generates for the opponent, and it combos so well with Geralf's Messenger, so I’m hesitant to not run a full playset. I’ll have to test the deck out to know for sure.
4 weeks ago
personally i’m not a big fan of the zombie lords, as 3 mana is pretty steep (or 4 mana in the case of Undead Warchief). I don’t think you gain much from this kind if effect, and while having some of these cards is probably useful, i’d ditch a bunch. A good thing to add in instead could be stuff like Blasting Station, which can turn Gravecrawler into a machine-gun.
“Champion of the Perished” from the upcoming set feels like an auto-include here.
1 month ago
I play a commander deck built around The Scarab God, and I have a ton of great recommendations. There's a few really fun directions you can take this, but flooding the board with zombie tokens and making them really beefy is a good bet. Here's some decent budget options, since you say you don't buy many cards:
- Undead Augur is also cheap to cast, and gets you drawing a lot of cards very quickly.
- Zombie Lords like Diregraf Captain, Lord of the Accursed, Death Baron, and many more are staples for zombie decks, though getting more than a few can get expensive.
- Wonder gives you a zombie air force whenever it's in the graveyard.
- Liliana's Mastery gets you two tokens and buffs your zombies.
- Necromancer's Stockpile is a good way to draw cards and get tokens on the board, and if you pitch anything that can recur it's doesn't even have much of a downside.
For some cards that aren't budget, if you want to eventually buy/trade for some really good zombie cards, I've got you covered there too:
- Cryptbreaker is cheap to cast, and is fantastic for getting tokens out and drawing cards. Note that the second ability ignores summoning sickness.
- Diregraf Colossus gets you a token whenever you cast a zombie.
- Army of the Damned creates thirteen zombie tokens if you can get the mana, and then does it again.
- Rooftop Storm makes your zombies free to cast.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead is a diet version of Liliana, the Last Hope's ult.
Best of luck in your future zombie-fueled games!
2 months ago
2 months ago
Hey, well done on a budget. Missing a few budget staples ( Sol Ring ), but overall interesting version of Varina. If your goal is to have fun then also include your opponents having fun...
Do you want to be become the archenemy every game you play this deck? A Box + Narset lock is not fun. Narset and wheels is not fun. Cut all the ridiculous stax cards for more Zombie synergy ( Undead Augur )?
Instead of stax, build around Wonder and Psychosis Crawler with Zombies and wheels? Include more ways to get Wonder and Crawler into your graveyard ( Vile Entomber ) and more ways to reanimate Crawler ( Victimize )?
Cut Hullbreacher to fix the manabase? Black is the primary color, you need it a lot more than the rest, but there's just as many basic Plains and Islands than Swamps. You risk with this manabase not consistently having black mana. Zombies are black, wheels are blue or black thus build around black and blue and splash white for Varina?