Torment of Scarabs
Enchantment — Aura Curse
At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, that player loses 3 life unless he or she sacrifices a nonland permanent or discards a card. "Like a carpet unrolling for their god, the scarabs poured out from the necropolis."
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Torment of Scarabs Discussion
1 week ago
Really love the deck! Torment of Scarabs might be another good include if you have the space.
1 month ago
Thanks for the suggestions! Yahenni's Expertise is a nice Card but unfortunately it would kill my own creatures. Which is why I chose Witch's Vengeance over it. Torment of Scarabs is fine, but I found it a bit boring after a while. But maybe I’ll add another one for Make Obsolete . :)
1 month ago
Nice build man! The only thing I could see improved at your own interest would be some value engines for making your opponent discard. Does Torment of Scarabs not work as well as it should? For there is only one copy in this deck. Yahenni's Expertise may work well in this deck cuz the deck has so may cheap cards to cheat out lol.
4 months ago
On my quest to also build a tinybones deck, I found some of the cards below that have really been an asset to me. Maybe they could help you out too.
Instant Speed Discard Cards: _(Allows you to force them to discard on their turn, so you can get a draw trigger then too.)
- Necrogen Spellbomb , Funeral Charm , Black Cat / Mindslicer / Elvish Doomsayer like cards, that discourage people from attacking you while also possibly making them discard on their turn, Nezumi Shortfang Flip (also has a special second flipside ability), Torment of Scarabs (they have to really screw themselves over every turn unless they discard), Cry of Contrition (can be sort of like a bounty, taxing someone when the creature dies which can be on someone else's turn), Unmask , Greel, Mind Raker , Gibbering Descent
on Power nap
4 months ago
I most certainly can! Archelos is super cool and can really warp a landbase, as now you can include so many tap lands that normally aren't too powerful, not only giving you that sort of ability but also making the land base WAY cheaper! You also have to think about the lands BEFORE you put our Archelos though, and so I'd say a balance between better lands and tap lands are what you probably want to head towards. What you have so far looks wonderful, and certainly efficient, though again, you may want to include one cycle of a certain land, maybe Breeding Pool, Overgrown Tomb, and Watery Grave? These guys can help get Archelos out, but after he's out you won't necessarily have to take the shock damage from them which I'd say deserves them a good spot in the deck. Other ones that aren't necessary but could be worth considering are Hinterland Harbor, Woodland Cemetery, and Drowned Catacomb, since again they can come in untapped with Archelos and still be relatively good without him, and of course the bounce lands Simic Growth Chamber, Golgari Rot Farm, and Dimir Aqueduct, since they can get pretty powerful when they come in untapped. Since you have Fabled Passage, Evolving Wilds, and Terramorphic Expanse I'd say it's worth it to slot in a Ramunap Excavator or Crucible of Worlds, since you'd then get two landfall triggers per turn guaranteed, since you can continuously play the sac lands again and again. If this trick proves to be very helpful, you may want to consider slotting in more fetch lands like Prismatic Vista, Misty Rainforest, Verdant Catacombs, Polluted Delta, etc. Speaking of landfall triggers, I think Myriad Landscape would work AMAZING with Archelos, as not only would the Myriad come in untapped, but so would what it searches for, giving you three landfall triggers just off of that one card if you have two mana to spare. So honestly, I don't have too much to say about the lands, I think it's pretty solid at the moment though you may need to playtest a lot to know for sure, however, I did find a bunch of great cards that could work well with Archelos!
- Amulet of Vigor: If Archelos isn't out yet and you have a ton of tap lands, this guy could be of great use, especially for just a single mana.
- Root Maze: SUPER amazing card, this guy can tax everyone but you! On your upkeep untap archelos, have everything come in untapped, then tap him before your next turn and boom now everyone's artiafcts and lands come into played tapped for one mana besides yours.
- Coldsteel Heart: Basically a 2 mana, untapped mana rock with Archelos
- Cryptolith Fragment Flip: This guy can perform your goal of whittling away peoples health, as well as coming in untapped with Archelos. The flip side can also perform that whittling quite efficiently.
- Manascape Refractor: Comes in untapped- could be pretty fun to see how that works out!
- Arcane Signet: You should run this no matter what
- Orb of Dreams: Similar power and ability to root maze mentioned above, this can tax everyone else except you with Archelos
- Renegade Map: Basically 1 mana get a basic land if you have Archelos out
- Sphere of the Suns: Great with Archelos out and coming in untapped
- Terrarion: Seems pretty solid if it doesn't come in untapped
- Worn Powerstone: Like the rest, pretty sweet if it doesn't come in tapped and can be immediately used.
- Moss Diamond/Charcoal Diamond/Sky Diamond: Untapped ability again
- Honor-Worn Shaku: Allows you to tap archelos and get something out of it
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth: It's amazing why not run it
- Retreat to Hagra: Can be a great way of slowly ruining your opponent's health, especially with the extra land triggers I mentioned before
- Stasis: If you already have the things you need to slowly remove your opponents health, this can pretty much ensure victory.
- Verity Circle: SUPER amazing if I'm understanding it correctly, basically whenever your opponents play a creature since it comes in tapped with Archelos you draw a card, and has the second ability if you are ever in need of it
- A great way to slowly get rid of your opponents health is with recurring triggers that happen every turn, such as curses. Here are some that I found: Trespasser's Curse, Torment of Scarabs, Cruel Reality, Curse of Thirst, and Curse of Fool's Wisdom
- ANY COMBO WITH RETREAT TO CORALHELM. Edhrec names 1000+ combos with this card, so I'd recommend looking through it and seeing if you find anything that would work if you haven't already!
That's all I have, sorry it probably wasn't too much regarding the lands, but I hope I gave you some good stuff to think about! I honestly love the deck it has a super cool theme, and seems like it could work very well! That said though, hope this helps, and have a wonderful day!
10 months ago
@Omniscience_is_life I love it!
This will be a very challenging build but when you pull it off it will be amazing!
Black has so much great synergy for this mechanic if you get it up and running. Black Market, Torment of Hailfire, Revel in Riches, Torment of Scarabs to name just a few
i cant wait to see what you do with it
1 year ago
I know these don't quite fit the theme exactly, but Cruel Reality and Torment of Scarabs might give you a way to make your opponents sacrifice their creatures. They could replace Seal of Primordium and Mystic Repeal and are budget friendly at under a dollar each. Other cards that fit in the budget well is Inevitable End and Screams from Within to combat small token decks.