Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest
Legendary Creature — Insect Shaman
Whenever a player sacrifices another permanent, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest Discussion
3 weeks ago
regarding alternative sacrifice outlets - Carrion Feeder , Viscera Seer and Dross Hopper are cheap, free sac outlets I’ve had success with in my Teysa, Orzhov Scion and Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest sacrifice decks. Having sac outlets you can reanimate has been incredibly useful.
1 month ago
slowsti Thank you for the suggestions! I'm going to be playing the deck quite a bit for the first time this weekend so I will definitely be able to tell what it is missing and where I can improve it.
As for Exquisite Bond, I've always been on the fence with that card only because I usually play multiplayer EDH games (3-4 players) and when this card comes onto the battlefield you immediately become target #1. I do agree though that a life gain/drain combo would be a good alternate win con addition to this deck.
But when my friend built this deck, I don't think he was going for a life gain/drain theme. Food tokens can be used as a source for life gain but I believe he was utilizing them more as an artifact sacrifice outlet for other cards like Marionette Master , Moriok Rigger , Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest , and Disciple of the Vault . With that said, a life gain/drain sub theme could be implemented with just a few of the cards you suggested above which I will definitely consider!
There is already 4 target creature removal spells and 1 board wipe but if I play this weekend and there isn't enough removal I will definitely look into adding more. Also Ravenous Chupacabra and Herald of Anguish are in the deck list as removal in the form of creatures.
One of my favorite themes for decks is graveyard recursion and when I'm not playing a deck with recursion there is nothing more I hate than having to discard cards haha so I will definitely be adding more recursion to this deck. But Cauldron Familiar + Witch's Oven is a great recursion combo which I may improve by adding Ashnods alter to the deck.
Thank you again for the suggestions!
1 month ago
1 month ago
3 months ago
I hear that. I was lucky enough to pick up a Razaketh for my Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest deck for only about $5 before it spiked. Even his "cheaper alternative", Sidisi, Undead Vizier is expensive. As for the enchantments, I need copies in multiple decks and have been waiting for Wizards to meaningfully reprint one or both of them for years to no avail. If the effect does sound like something you'd enjoy, Butcher of Malakir can serve nearly the same role on a budget, assuming you can get him into play quickly enough.
Here's a list of some of my decks that involve reanimator and sacrifice, by the way. I really enjoy playing around the graveyard and end up building around these mechanics frequently. They're all casual decks, but they're mostly budget too so maybe they could be a useful reference. Anyway, good luck with your build!
Mono-black discard zoo modern: The Midnight Zoo
Golgari sacrifice EDH: Blood of 1000 Lambs
4 months ago
Man, Basri's Lieutenant, try him!
Ow yea, and then there is his uncalled for pseudo evasion/protection for multicolour...
Also, how often do you use Retribution of the Ancients? I'm always happy to drop it, but then I never seem to be able to use it for some reason.
5 months ago
In my humble opinion, Kaldheim is looking like an amazing set. We haven't gotten any broken things, but they all look fun. Let's go over some of the future commanders of our hearts! I'm skipping over commanders that use fortell, as we don't have many cards for them. Oh, and the cards that don't interest me. My post, my rules!
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw: The dwarf commander we've all been waiting for! Dwarven Recruiter is finally good, and you can add in some spicy treasure/dragon synergies, too! I-I think we did it guys. We broke Dockside Extortionist. Oh, and Hellkite Tyrant is a must.
- Halvar, God of Battle Flip: While pretty good in Voltron decks, he makes for the first artifact commander we've ever had, and I know my Inner Johnny is tickled at that fact. The Equipment side is also super cool, with being able to pay 4 mana to resuscitate one of your creatures. With some Phyrexian Altar + Ashnod's Altar janks, we can make a fun mono-white combo deck! Oh, and Batterskull says hi.
- Lathril, Blade of the Elves: I'm really psyched for this general. She looks like a way to make Golgari Elfball more viable, has a crazy, but not broken, activated ability, and is one of the only generals to make a usually too-competitive strategy fit for more casual tables. She has synergy up the wazoo with cards like Immaculate Magistrate and Timberwatch Elf. Oh, and one card that should be in every one of her decks, but is in zero so far, is Elder of Laurels. This card = broken in this deck, often turning your Lathril, Blade of the Elves into a four-digit power commander. Run it!
- Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider: Finally, Superfriends has some support! But seriously, this is just another Doubling Season with an upside on a stick for Atraxa, Praetors' Voice. If you want to be cruel and run this bad boy as a commander, stax/superfriends seems the way to go. Say hello to Smokestack!
- Toski, Bearer of Secrets: And people said Green couldn't draw cards! Why did they have to print another Edric, Spymaster of Trest? This card is also an indestructible blocker with cards like Seedborn Muse and Quest for Renewal. Oh, and it can't be countered. Why? Because green.
- Valki, God of Lies Flip: This card is super fun. It's like a Lazav, the Multifarious but you get to use your opponent's creatures. But where this 'lil trickster god really shines is in the 99. But more specifically, in the 99 of The First Sliver. See, you can cascade into Valki, God of Lies Flip, but instead of casting the small side, you can just windmill-slam Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor on Turn 4. Fun!
- Sarulf, Realm Eater: Golgari Control is a thing, I guess? Stack your deck like card:Skullbrair, the Walking Grave does, but instead of going for the voltron combos, instead, you wipe your opponent's board every turn. Evolutionary Escalation is a must. Who cares about an 8/8 on your opponent's side when it's dead?
- Kolvori, God of Kinship Flip: Man, Sisay, Weatherlight Captain sure got a lot of new goodies in this set! This card is unfortunately not great as a commander. If I'm playing mono-green legends, I'd rather play Reki, the History of Kamigawa.
- Tergrid, God of Fright Flip: I love this card. There. I've said it. I'm done. This goes in so many different decks: Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Tinybones, Trinket Thief, Malfegor, Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, the list goes on and on! As a commander, she's kill-on-sigh. A single Smallpox just wins you the game.
- Vega, the Watcher: I'll say it: This is probably the most powerful uncommon commander ever printed. This triggers off of so many things: Elsha of the Infinite, Flahsback, Cascade, Retrace, Future Sight, Suspend, Adventure, Foretell, Impulse Draw, etc. Need I say more?
5 months ago
Activate the “make a token” ability on ghave, sac to the altar, repeat.