|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica: Guild Kit (GK1)||Rare|
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Minotaur Wizard
Whenever Boros Reckoner is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to target creature or player.
: Boros Reckoner gains first strike until end of turn.
|Have (5)||Mortiferus_Rosa , abby315 , TheRealSpecialK , robbnoble , saj0219|
|Want (2)||BroadScholar , Hegna|
Boros Reckoner Discussion
4 hours ago
This is definitely a good first attempt. Some suggestions though would be to cut Fight with Fire , Fire Servant , Treasure Map Flip , Magus of the Wheel , Integrity / Intervention , Sword of the Animist , Dualcaster Mage , Fumigate , Sunbird's Invocation and Vessel of Endless Rest and swap them out for Blasphemous Act , Repercussion , Heartwarming Redemption , Mogg Maniac , Cathartic Reunion , Open the Armory , Marble Diamond , Boros Reckoner , Enlightened Tutor and Fire Diamond
5 days ago
Lets start with your CMC. In order for an aggro deck to be fast, the mana curve for the deck needs to be incredibly low to the ground. With that in mind here are some creatures that are all sub-three CMC:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
- Boros Reckoner
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar
- Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
- Tithe Taker
- Mentor of the Meek
- Ballyrush Banneret
- Haazda Marshal
- Aerial Responder
- Frontline Medic
- Consul's Lieutenant
- Bounty Agent
- Mirror Entity
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip
- Thalia's Lieutenant
- Akroan Hoplite
- Champion of the Parish
- Legion Loyalist
- Metallic Mimic
- Recruiter of the Guard
- Swiftblade Vindicator
- Legion Warboss
You are also gonna need to give your creatures haste, and one of my favorite cards does just that for next to nothing; Mass Hysteria .
Here are a few cards I also think would be really good support, or are staples in this archetype:
- Unbreakable Formation
- Brave the Elements
- Teferi's Protection
- Collective Effort
- Citywide Bust
- Militia's Pride
- Brave the Sands
- Glorious Anthem
- Chance for Glory
- Spear of Heliod
Lastly... I know you said you avoided it intentionally but... I think it was a mistake... You need more ramp. The more ramp you have the faster you can play dudes the faster you can kill someone. So Mana Crypt , Sol Ring , Boros Signet , Chrome Mox , etc. I think you should play at least 5 ramp artifacts to really help you get that overwhelming force, because on T4 you now have to live in fear of WoGs
Ok that's all... he said after posting a page long comment... Sorry. <3 If you need help with cuts anything above 4 cmc should be the first things to go with the exception of Cathar's. get your CMC as close to 2 as you can.
2 weeks ago
Im confused by what you mean by Oblation and two lands. It’s just draw two cards?
In my head I totally thought we had more direct damage cards for Stuffy Doll & such. Even if we did, it’d be really relying on getting him out. Or adding Boros Reckoner and Spitemare . Even then it’d be a whole side route of watering the deck down
I just realized the sac cards don’t work with Feather and Akroan Crusader / Vanguard of Brimaz don’t bounce with Zada/Mirrorwing. Do you think either of those are worth keeping in... or is heroic mostly a waste when you have Zada/mirrorwing at your disposal?
I’ve seen play styles of all the types at this point but agree the Spell slinger and token are the strongest.
3 weeks ago
- Nyxborn Shieldmate for Boros Reckoner both better creatures and reckoner works amazing with lightmines if u decide to add it
- Palace Guard for Archetype of Aggression
- Darksteel Plate for Whispersilk Cloak since your guys are invincible anyways. this also deters them from being targeted.. boardwipes will still work though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork for Tenza, Godo's Maul if up u this on ur commander hes a 10/7 menance with trample, seems like a better piece
- Armory of Iroas - Sunforger costs a few more mana but u have alot of tricks u can pull out of it for free late game
- Staff of Nin for Mind's Eye
- Avacyn's Collar for Spear of Heliod upgrades all ur doods and makes people scared to attack you
- Manalith for Commander's Sphere an upgrade
- Act of Treason for Faithless Looting card draw with flashback seems always good
- Mass Mutiny - Mob Rule seems like an upgrade
- Miraculous Recovery - Settle the Wreckage amazing board wipe, can really put you ahead. if not interested in a board wipe id suggest maybe a single target removal like Chaos Warp . i feel like you need ways to deal with high pressure threats
- Pay No Heed - Deflecting Palm
- Righteousness for Fight to the Death i know these two cards arent related, but how hilarious would it be to cast this when someone else is combating another player, basically can wipe two players boards if timed proper. if u would prefer to keep a combat trick here i would suggest maybe Gods Willing or something that does not require the creature to be blocking
- Smite - Ride Down
- Warleader's Helix - Savage Beating or Ajani Vengeant i feel helix doesnt provide enough value, for removal it is very weak , if u want good removal to replace this instead of a threats i listed, i would consider Oblivion Ring type cards
- Martial Glory - Boros Charm charm is must include, so much value! protect from boardwipes including land destruction! removal or maybe boost ur commander after blocks with a double strike if some1 is already been hit once and hello 21 commander dmg
4 weeks ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
1 month ago
1 month ago
1 month ago
17 April 2019
Major overhauled and streamlined the deck:
1.) Removed both Mark of Asylum and Personal Sanctuary
2.) Removed Past in Flames/ Impact Resonance and other clunky burn spells
3.) Removed both Stoneforge Mystic and Stonehewer Giant and replaced by Steelshaper's Gift as the only equipment tutor.
4.) Added Smothering Tithe as RNA was released
5.) Added Lapse of Certainty in the Sunforger package after JLK's (of the Commandzone) take on the commander
6.) Added Goldnight Castigator . Doubling potential damage taken is a risk but with Purity on the battlefield this can gain an insane amount of life to fuel Aetherflux Reservoir . As an insurance also added Pariah's Shield to redirect that damage to either Stuffy Doll or Boros Reckoner . Much testing is required.
7.) Streamlined the mana base as well; minimizing land that etb tapped.
Boros Reckoner occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%