|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to each other creature and each opponent.
Chandra's Ignition Discussion
2 weeks ago
TwinStags Here goes:
Mentor of the Meek : You cast a spell, Young Pyromancer and Monastery Mentor trigger, you now have 2x 1/1 coming into play. Do you pay 2 colorless more to draw 2 cards? This is good in a token deck, but when you have a token deck you might as well be running Skullclamp where you are paying 1 colorless to draw 2 cards, way better value. Feather decks will be mana starved to begin with, spending as little mana as possible is the way to go.
Spawning Breath : This depends on what you are trying to get out onto the field. Something big with a lot of colorless? Or we you just trying to make more 0/1 creature tokens where you pump and attack? If so then this will combo off Zada, Hedron Grinder and get you a lot of 0/1 creature tokens. That is if your other tokens survive.
Leering Emblem : Run this only if you are going to go Spellslinger+Voltron. Because it is +2/+2 for each spell until end of turn. ChibiNature might be able to do the math for you to see if this is worth running in terms of CMC and equip cost.
Solemn Simulacrum : This is only worth if you are going to bounce it in and out of play to grab you lands, other wise 4 for a 2/2 is not worth.
Chandra's Ignition : Oh boy, I have a better card for you if you run tokens. Consider Soul's Fire cast onto Zada, Hedron Grinder and you having a billion tokens. It is ANY target, so even planeswalkers.
If you are going the token route I want you to take a look at Sword of Feast and Famine + Aggravated Assault or even Seize the Day cast onto Zada, Hedron Grinder for as many combat phases as you have creatures that are tapped at the moment of casting.
2 weeks ago
TwinStags Mentor of the Meek and Solemn Simulacrum are both flicker support cards. and Mentor of the Meek just isn't good for this deck, most of our other cards already draw us a card for 1, but also add to the storm counter for Aetherflux Reservoir , which is important. Solemn Simulacrum on the other hand is a fine addition, with or without the flicker package. Several optimized lists in higher level EDH run the card, and is a decent ramp creature. I just dont run it because I dont want my ramp cards to be more expensive than my commander.
Spawning Breath is just a two mana card that generates us 1 mana. Not useful by any means. Also it cannot target any of our one toughness cards multiple times.
lastly Chandra's Ignition is a 5 mana card that wipes our entire board other than 1 creature. Also if Guttersnipe isn't good enough for the deck at 2 mana deal 2. Than Chandra's Ignition wont ever make the cut as a 5 mana deal 3. If you want a nice boardwipe for small creatures than I reccomend running Pyroclasm
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
1 month ago
You can definitely make Omnath, Locus of Rage competitive. I have a friend who plays it.
Ramp is your best friend. And Sac Outlets are your best friend along with some wrath effects.
Cards that you need to make the deck function better are Explore type effects: Oracle of Mul Daya , Azusa, Lost but Seeking , Exploration , Explore , Enter the Unknown , Journey of Discovery , Mina and Denn, Wildborn , Summer Bloom , Wayward Swordtooth ... These work to great effect in getting the most out of Omnath's triggered ability and might hinder your opponents' plans of sweeping the board.
Also, you should be running more lands than the usual EDH deck because you want to be able to keep playing lands.
Recursion is also what will assist in the control metas: Regrowth , Eternal Witness , Den Protector , Greenwarden of Murasa , Recollect , The Mending of Dominaria ... These will help you maintain use of the cards that get removed. Also it allows you to let your general go to Graveyard and get it back to cast it for regular CMC.
You could also use some triggers upon a creature entering the battlefield: Electropotence , Impact Tremors , In the Web of War , Mana Echoes , Warstorm Surge , Purphoros, God of the Forge , Colossal Majesty , Elemental Bond ...
The world is your "oyster" good sir! So have at it. And happy shuffling. Hope this helps.
1 month ago
SpookyToe Yeah that was my general consensus on Sunforger as well. However, to play devil's advocate, the +4/+0 isn't completely irrelevant, and sometimes tutoring for an instant that's more mana efficient or maybe has a better effect than anything in your hand would be preferable. Ultimately, the price is what kills any small chance it would have had with this deck in particular.
Speaking of price, Chandra's Ignition is getting the chopping block. Feather really did a number on all these previously inconspicuous cards.
1 month ago
Chandra's Ignition occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%