|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology Vol. II (CM2)||Rare|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Word of Seizing
Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
Untap target permanent and gain control of it until end of turn. It gains haste until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (22)||Nebman227 , Supremespeed , NobleSlay3r , rikertchu , Epidilius , LegendDeer , MattN7498 , mziter501 , Va1mar , rockleemyhero , Mortiferus_Rosa , sonnet666 , TheRealPeaches , Hootiequack , frederiklw , thetechzombie , darthnuchi , ironax , Lucretian , Mousemke , marcus638 , electrolynx|
|Want (6)||starkzero , gosora , bassgdae , kovellen , tazartheyoot , samuelianstorm|
Word of Seizing Discussion
3 weeks ago
It doesnt appear much because either
A) People hate losing immediately, and not everyone places winning above all else
B) Not every deck can take advantage by creating infinite mana.
UpperDeckerTaco every time you activate you lose priority. You basically have to activate one at a time, and your opponent gets to respond between each activation. But you can typically respond to their responses and kill them anyway unless they use Word of Seizing or Krosan Grip.
1 month ago
I use it in every deck that can produce "infinite" mana. It is essentially a Fireball for any deck.
The only issue I have with it, and I guess a question...how would holding priority work with this card as to not allow your opponents to respond to each activation? Are you allowed to activate, hold priority, activate, hold priority, and "rinse and repeat"?
NOTE: Word of Seizing can be a blowout if the above question doesn't 'work'.
2 months ago
Word of Seizing: It's good, but I prefer repeatable effects. Act of Aggression is close to meriting inclusion, but I did just kick Mark of Mutiny for the same reason of it not being repeatable. I DO like how it turns on Dethrone, however.
2 months ago
Unspeakable symbol allows you to pump your stuff, and then smash the throne. I'm surprised you don't have Dack's Duplicate, and Scourge of the Throne (You can have multiple instances of Dethrone). Also Word of Seizing, and Act of Aggression because instant speed theft is amazing. BTW you have NO instants. None. That's ridiculous. If you refuse to put instants in, I think you're required to play Vedalken Orrery.
3 months ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
4 months ago
won commander last night against a table with 2 infinite combo decks, we had Azami, Lady of Scrolls, a player playing a version of Food Chain deck, me and one more playing Breya, Etherium Shaper. started out with mana problems for me all the way to turn 4. no one had done anything to big yet so it was int to harmful. then the Breya, Etherium Shaper player dropped Saheeli Rai at that point all i had was one Mountain a Sol Ring and a Mirage Mirror. the turn went around the table back to him so he dropped Felidar Guardian.the Azami, Lady of Scrolls player was also getting mana screwed so no counters from him. everyone at the table started to scoop but me. i tapped the sol ring for the Mirage Mirror copying one of his Swamps and tapping for a Rakdos Charm effectively killing him with one land out on the field. where he replied "well that's a thing" and scooped. only the Azami, Lady of Scrollsplayer and me were left because the Food Chain player scooped. the game went along as normal and i was having serious troubles getting my mana base for the rest of the game. Azami, Lady of Scrolls player combo'd out and attempted to win via Laboratory Maniac to where in response i casted Word of Seizing on Laboratory Maniac making him kill himself with his own combo. this was hands down the best example of this deck i've played in the 2 months I've had it now. i love it!
4 months ago
My suggestion for cutting cards for ramp would be to look for high CMC cards you find stranded in your hand and try replacing some of them with mana rocks. If you can't find a card to cut for Unstable Obelisk it is better than Orazca Relic for red in my opinion, but I'd recommend both honestly.
For adding a bit of board sweeping/point removal I'd honestly look to cut the anti-blue (Burnout) and creature stealing (Word of Seizing) subthemes for the deck. Those themes are super powerful in the right situations, absolutely, but I think you'll get more utility and that more play value out of a few sweepers and point removal.