Balan, Wandering Knight
Legendary Creature — Cat Knight
First strike Balan, Wandering Knight has double strike as long as two or more Equipment are attached to it. 1W: Attach all equipment you control to Balan.
Commander Recommendations Start Commander Deck
Latest as Commander
Balan, Wandering Knight Discussion
5 days ago
Removed Danitha Capashen, Paragon & one Plains.
Added Phyrexian Revoker to sideboard.
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
A primer has to go more in-depth and compare cards to other options imo. For example...
Why so many deathtouch equipments? Aren't Grappling Hook and Nemesis Mask too mana intensive for what they do?
Why are the other boardwipes better than Mass Calcify ?
2 months ago
- Cast Final Fortune or Chance for Glory during your turn with 2 white permanents and mistveil plains untapped, and a white to pay for it. Sunforger Must also be in play.
- activate the mistveil plains and cycle the turn spell back to the bottom of your library
- Complete your first turn.
- Start your second turn. Equip sunforger if necessary. Cast Angel's Grace with Sunforger . Then use the mistveil plains to cycle angel's grace back to the bottom. It gets a bit mana intense here, but if you can re-equip sunforger and play another extra turn spell go ahead and do so.
- At some point you will need to get Sword of Feast and Famine or Sundial of the Infinite to keep the loop going since you need to activate mistveil plains twice in a turn both of which can be picked up with a sunforger cast of Enlightened Tutor
This sequence would allow you to go infinite. It is mana intense, so either ramping a lot and/or getting something like a kazuul's tyrant Brass Squire or Balan, Wandering Knight is recommended. You can also play the sequence to not go infinite and just grab a couple of extra turns, which may enough to put you ahead and take key players out of the game. Typing it all out it does actually seem a bit complex, but once you do it a few times you should get the hang of it.
2 months ago
Smothering Tithe seems like a good source of ramp like a Explosive Vegetation . Earlier in the game, they are less likely to pay the tax. It helps a ton when you think about the fact that its not restricted to the draw step. It does not ramp out your Balan, Wandering Knight , but it definitely helps the rebuild against decks that just outdraw you
2 months ago
Extra Combat steps help you seal the win and since you're only concerned with one creature swinging you can play the only one with flashback: Seize the Day.
Equipoise is my new favourite white tech when you know your creatures are more valuable than your opponents and expect to be outnumbered. It can also prevent interaction by phasing opponents untapped lands out or troublesome artifacts. If your opponent has an artifact creature you can choose it last as an artifact and have them be down a creature from parody which often means an empty board to swing out on.
Bludgeon Brawl is a funny card that turns all your mana rocks into equipment as well.
2 months ago
- Tithe isn't stuck behind an upkeep trigger.
- Tithe still grabs at least one land if I'm not behind, which can happen.
- Tithe isn't completely dead late-game, as it can tutor for Mistveil Plains.
Commander Damage is already a huge setback for mass lifegain strategies. I've had Quietus Spike in the deck before and wasn't enjoying it that much because it doesn't contribute to Commander Damage.
3 months ago
Hey, really well made first Commander deck. It's great you already have several of the important cards especially Puresteel and he's not exactly a budget card. Aid is also very good so is Titan, Abolisher and Battle-Axe.
Budget cards to consider adding:
- Sram, Senior Edificer: Excellent draw with equipment. Combine with Puresteel to draw a ton of cards.
- Open the Armory: Tutor for any one equipment or aura. Powerful budget tutor for this deck.
- Leonin Shikari: Equip at instant speed. Busted with metalcraft Puresteel letting you do all equipment things at instant speed.
- Balan, Wandering Knight: Good creature with equipment, double strike is powerful. Attaching all equipment to him for only two mana is amazing.
- Swords to Plowshares: Number one staple budget white card in Commander.
- Skullclamp: One of the best equipment in Commander.
- Lightning Greaves: Another equipment like Swiftfoot, but more powerful because it costs zero mana to equip. Having two of these hexproof/shroud/haste equip is nice, put one of Puresteel and one on Kembra.
- Stoneforge Masterwork: When you start making cats this can get out of hand.
- Ajani, Caller of the Pride: The better Ajani for this deck. Giving equiped creature flying and double strike is very good, being able to repeat this effect is even better.
Other cards to consider:
- Dispatch: More one mana exile creature removal.
- Mother of Runes: Protect Kembra or the other creature your equiping from removal.
- Mentor of the Meek: Draw a card by paying for each cat created by Kembra. Great card advantage.
- Knight of the White Orchid: Potential land ramp in white is very good.
- Oreskos Explorer: Can prevent being land screwed since you'll most likely get to tutor for 2+ Plains.
- Indomitable Archangel: Protect all your artifacts from targeted removal and get a 4/4 flier for four mana.
Lands to consider:
Cards to consider cutting:
- Victory's Herald
- Angelic Skirmisher
- Angelic Field Marshal
- Court Street Denizen
- Deathless Angel
- Ajani Steadfast
- Dispense Justice
- Hold the Line
- Intangible Virtue
- Revoke Existence
- Cobbled Wings
- Staff of the Sun Magus
- Seal Away
Good luck with your deck.
Balan, Wandering Knight occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%