Legendary Creature — Zombie Hydra
Polukranos enters the battlefield with six +1/+1 counters on it. It escapes with twelve +1/+1 counters on it instead.
If damage would be dealt to Polukranos while it has a +1/+1 counter on it, prevent that damage and remove that many +1/+1 counters on it.
: Polukranos fights another target creature.
Escape—, Exile six other cards from your graveyard. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its escape cost.)
Printings View all
|Theros Beyond Death (THB)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Polukranos, Unchained Discussion
1 week ago
I might pull Polukranos, Unchained because he kind of goes against what you're trying to do and instead go with something like Clackbridge Troll or Baneslayer Angel. Both would be nice targets for Nethroi, Apex of Death
1 month ago
1 month ago
I took your deck for a spin (around 15 games of Bo1) on Arena and have a few notes:
Mythos of Nethroi is a joy to cast on just about anything.
Polukranos, Unchained was good at doing zombie hydra things - stopping too much aggression and being recursive removal.
What didn't work
The mana base is very rough - with the amount of dual color cards (in different colors) I'd at least add some Triomes.
The average CMC is high, so I'd up the land count. Found myself sitting on gas without the mana to play it a little too often.
The mix of early creatures and board wipes didn't compliment each other too well.
Mythos of Brokkos felt too slow and clunky. I mostly wanted to have the mana to both get something out of the yard AND play it that same turn. Tapping 4 for no immediate effect hurts against many decks. I know it's also meant for tutoring, but that's a steep cost for the effect and there's only 1x Island to do it. Something like Elspeth Conquers Death seems more impactful and fills the same role of recursing your big threats.
Unlikely Aid didn't do much. There are plenty of better options and you shouldn't be in need of protection for your creatures. Keep the board clean and then go to town with your big beaters. It's a control deck after all ^^
About Chevill, Bane of Monsters. You only have 2 mutate creatures, so that wouldn't be his forte, even if he wasn't a human. He brings some early game value, as pointed out by Budabuda123, and his deathtouch makes for awkward attacks from the opp. Adding him would make your board wipes worse though.
Hope that helps. Good luck with the deck!
1 month ago
I would add Castle Locthwain, if you feel like you need more card draw.
While Polukranos, Unchained synergizes well with the graveyard theme, it is a non-bo with Undergrowth and Fiend Artisan. It does provide removal and card advantage though, so maybe a copy would be okay to try out.
Clackbridge Troll, in my experience, is never quite good enough. Giving the opponent options is rarely a good thing. Having your big beater do nothing for 3 turns doesn't bode well against neither control nor aggro.
I also feel like you want more Lotleth Troll in this deck, as it sort of acts like your Zenith Flare - you can focus on doing what you gotta do, trade away creatures without much care and then BAM a giant zombie to the knee. Artisan does help finding it, but I don't think two copies is too farfetched.
How about Cavalier of Thorns?
After the companion rule change, I think you can safely get rid of Umori, the Collector without losing too much.
2 months ago
Maybe focus more on 0 power creatures that enter with counters such as Sekki, Seasons' Guide, Polukranos, Unchained, Phantom Nishoba, and Realm Seekers. Cards you have included like Ivy Elemental will enter with 0 counters and immediately die upon being reanimated, because you can't actually pay the X in their costs, and unless you intend to get a massive graveyard full of these hydra-esque creatures then reanimate them and drain out opponents with a Blood Artist, then they probably aren't worth slots in the deck.
2 months ago
Digging the first pass of the deck I would try to go all-in on the infect theme and ditch some of the +1/+1 counter focused cards. Would make the deck feel a lot more consistent in games played.
I also see some cards that give brokkos some form of evasion, its worth noting that brokkos already has a pseudo-evasion like effect by naturally having trample, which deters people from blocking anyways, I feel that the additional evasion effects via creatures to mutate onto seems a bit extra.
I reccomend removing these:
- Merfolk Skydiver - +1/+1 theme, its nice for a 5 mana proliferation sink but I feel its too clunky
- Pollenbright Druid - A one time proliferate is likely too cute for this deck
- Polukranos, Unchained - +1/+1 counter themed, I see the argument for mutating onto a huge creature with +1/+1 counters, but polukranos also shrinks really quickly
- Elusive Tormentor Flip is a nice unblockable threat, but we're winning by going to bash town with infect damage, rather than an unblockable 6/7
- Silhana Ledgewalker Another pseudo-unblockable threat.
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend I likely would only play this card with Pir, Imaginative Rascal, seems very off theme from what you're trying to do aside from giving itself counters.
- Yeva, Nature's Herald This card only gives your green creatures flash, I dont think its really worth it... otherwise I would be super on board
- Blighted Agent is a human and you cannot mutate onto it. I'm not sure if you want to keep it in the deck as an extra infect threat, or go all in on the mutate plan.
- Relic Putrescence feels way too narrow just for giving its controller a single poison counter
- Simic Ascendancy Is a +1/+1 card that I dont see as a viable backup plan
- Leyline of Anticipation It's nice casting things at instant speed but that isnt really the theme of the deck, if folks have instant speed removal they will likely use it anyways and this wont get you many bonus points
- Golgari Charm What is this for? Removing 1/1s? Brokkos has trample and your infect creatures might have 1 toughness... regenerating brokkos? Just mutate again..
Cards I would consider adding:
- Rot Wolf
- Whispering Specter
- Plague Myr
- Blackcleave Goblin
- Triumph of the Hordes
- Blackblade Reforged
Since you're looking for more Destroy effects, Card draw effects, and counter effects, consider the following:
- Beast Within
- Vines of Vastwood
- Deadly Rollick
- Phyrexian Arena
- Painful Truths
- Arcane Denial
- Curtains' Call
There are a few different land ramp spells I may play, but those are likely out of budget. For the remainder of the cuts I reccomend taking out the worst infect creatures, and possibly some of your land ramp spells
2 months ago
Thanks for playtesting OberstHati!
I agree on Kaya's Ghostform - didn't think about it. Destiny Spinner indeed seems clunky and maybe worth a sideboard slot only. Reg. Polukranos, Unchained, I wonder. Need to check it on my own vs. Mantle of the Wolf.
2 months ago
I looked at your Deck and built it from Memory to test it on arena. I think Kaya's Ghostform performs better than Destiny Spinner, keep the spinner in Sideboard for Counterspell heavy Decks. Kaya's Ghostform on your Setessan Champion is quite some insurance,...i played 3Polukranos, Unchained, 23 lands, no Mantle of the Wolf, cuz i forgot about it. i used 4 Overgrown Tomb and 3 Temple of Malady, 1 Fabled Passage. When playing against Controldecks i had to target my own Zombies to get the card draw going with Dead Weight and Mire's Grasp, but that's OK too. You definitely want to go against Aggro, that's where this deck performs really well. Off the meta, and not the selesnya version, so +1.