Creature — Demon
When Mindwrack Demon enters the battlefield, put the top four cards of your library into your graveyard.
Delirium — At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 4 life unless there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard.
|Have (2)||metalmagic , IcyLightning|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Mythic Rare|
|Duel Decks: Blessed vs. Cursed (DDQ)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Mindwrack Demon Discussion
1 month ago
Isn't this backwards of how these leagues normally work? I thought the winner is the only one that doesn't get the budget bump, so the most powerful deck doesn't snowball.
Anyway, Mindwrack Harpy is the most pushed intro deck card I've ever seen. That's my first add.
I also like putting in more creatures with ETB effects. It's kind of awkward that you'll want to tap mana dorks for Hogaak. Glowspore Shaman, Golgari Thug, Crow of Dark Tidings, Gamekeeper, and Mire Triton can all help get Hogaak out by turn 3 if you have a good turn 1 play.
There are a lot of good gold cards in BG graeyard stuff, too: If you have anyone that's relying on indestructibility, Drown in Filth is a good budget option to feed your graveyard. If you're built around Hogaak, I'd think it should regularly be a hard removal spell with upside. Nyx Weaver is just a great card in any graveyard deck, and cheap, too. Jarad's Orders is a good double-tutor. Underrealm Lich is worth the $2, in my opinion. I would also ask yourself whether Eternal Witness is $3.50 better than Acolyte of Affliction/Golgari Findbroker/Treasured Find. Storrev, Devkarin Lich didn't get much fanfare, but the power and price tag are there.
Animist's Awakening is good value at just over $1. World Shaper and Splendid Reclamation are a little more expensive, but higher impact than other $4-5 cards I see in the list. Lower on the ramp ladder, note that Harrow and Springbloom Druid put a land in the yard. Funeral Rites isn't a bad draw spell for this deck. Same for Winding Way, Gather the Pack and Relentless Pursuit. Syphon Mind doesn't have much to do with the theme, but I start with it in most of my black value decks. Dark Deal could be very good, especially if your draw power is maximized and you can use your yard as a second hand. Greenwarden of Murasa is just a powerful card. Same for Phyrexian Delver.
Some other general budget cards for considering: Ransack the Lab, Corpse Churn, Dead Reckoning, Grapple with the Past, Hatchery Spider, Millikin, Mindwrack Demon, Once and Future, Splinterfright, The Mending of Dominaria, Skullwinder, Blood for Bones, and Vigor Mortis.
2 months ago
I like Grenzo, Dungeon Warden, especially in a deck with such a high creature count. Mesmeric Orb and Stitcher's Supplier are kind of the elephants in the room in terms of popular mill cards, and I also really like Mindwrack Harpy as a lower-floor, higher-ceiling version of Supplier, and Mindwrack Demon isn't too bad here, since your card types are so well-distributed. I also like Funeral Rites as a draw spot, possibly over Key to the City, and I like Ghoulcaller's Bell over Millstone.
3 months ago
Sin Prodder is a decent meme to consider, too. Cheers!
4 months ago
Given no context I found these in under 30 minutes
Izoni, Thousand-Eyed , Hatchery Spider , Mausoleum Secrets , Molderhulk , Alesha, Who Smiles at Death , Apprentice Necromancer , Mindwrack Demon , Manic Scribe , Inexorable Blob , To the Slaughter , Epicenter , Kirtar's Wrath , Putrid Imp , Stitch Together , Shower of Coals , Repentant Vampire , Wayward Angel , Bloodbond March , Blood for Bones , Brawn , Charnelhoard Wurm , Charnel Troll , Circular Logic , Corrupted Grafstone , Corpseweft , Countervailing Winds , Crackling Drake , Crop Sigil , Dance of the Manse , Disciple of the Ring , Tasigur's Cruelty , Tasigur, the Golden Fang , Treasure Cruise , Sibsig Muckdraggers , Rite of Undoing , Empty the Pits , Magmatic Sinkhole , Murderous Cut , Logic Knot , Necropolis Fiend
4 months ago
grisly salvage and Grapple with the Past are similar cards. Early game GS is better and if you are adding one of the suggested recursion cards i would therefore ditch grapple. doom blade is a good swap out for nameless inversion.
I think your creature count is probably a little high:
Moldgraf Scavenger - is not the most active creature in the deck a 0/4 isn't great early game and a 3/4 is not great late game
Ghoultree & Nemesis of Mortals do not have any evasion or trample so i'm not sure how often they will win you the game in a deck that cant give them either.
Soo long story short my recommendations would be:
9 months ago
Hey, good start, but with Liliana as Commander consider expanding on the sacrifice theme? Sacrifice strategies with aristocrats can be good and powerful, but you need to commit to them with many sac outlets to make the payoffs for sacing creatures worth it. Cards such as Liliana herself, Pawn of Ulamog , Sifter of Skulls , Grim Haruspex , etc. are payoffs for sacing creatures, but they're lackluster without sac support.
Cards that are within your deck's budget to consider adding for sacrifice strategy:
- Viscera Seer
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan
- Carrion Feeder
- Ashnod's Altar or Altar of Dementia : Dementia is better than Ashnods for the strategies here because it's a repeatable enabler to get creatures into your graveyard, but it's also more expensive price.
- Blood Artist
Reanimation is a fine secondary strategy to use consider also expanding on it:
- Cryptbreaker : repeatable way to discard cards and get value in return.
- Stinkweed Imp : dredge is a fast and repeatable way to get creatures into your graveyard.
- Golgari Thug
- Putrid Imp
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : enabler to get cards into your graveyard and reanimation.
- Living Death : mass reanimation and mass sacrifice.
- Command the Dreadhorde : mass reanimation using life which you have a lot of in Commander.
Other cards to consider adding:
- Crypt Ghast : mono black staple.
- Necropotence : mono black staple, less good when you have to discard unless you have a tons of cards in hand.
- Mutilate : powerful board wipe when playing lots of Swamps.
- Bubbling Muck
- Sign in Blood
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel : great payoff for playing mono black.
- Bloodgift Demon
- Reliquary Tower
- Hero's Downfall
Cards to consider cutting (no order):
- Raise Dead
- Sword-Point Diplomacy
- Dark Dabbling
- Bone Harvest
- Dead Reckoning
- Death Denied
- Liliana's Spoils
- Swarm of Bloodflies
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir
- Barrier of Bones : can be upgraded.
- Cadaver Imp : can be upgraded.
- Spellbook : can be upgraded.
- Indulgent Tormentor : can be upgraded.
- Mindwrack Demon : can be upgraded.
- Puppeteer Clique : can be upgraded.
- Wailing Ghoul : can be upgraded.
- Ever After : can be upgraded.
- Ulamog's Crusher : eight drop.
- Visara the Dreadful : seven drop.
- Butcher of Malakir : seven drop.
- Necromantic Selection : seven drop redundancy that you don't need.
- Harvester of Souls : six drop redundancy that you don't need.
- Sifter of Skulls : redundancy that you don't need.
9 months ago
I don't know how long your typical games go but i think that It That Betrays hard to cast at 12 mana as a deck with no mana ramp other then Dark Ritual Cabal Ritual and Cabal Stronghold so unless you us a tutor then you might struggle to cast it.
I personally don't like Mindwrack Demon the delirium effect can be rough if you hit the wrong cards with the ETB or if against graveyard hate but if you like a big demon Demon of Catastrophes which also works as a sudo sacrifice outlet. Also not sure about Barrier of Bones
I can't think of any black instant or sorcery recursion, I think that is more of a blue thing might be wrong though
1 year ago
A quick rundown of the first changes I'd try to implement.
- Start / Finish
- Ministrant of Obligation
- Doomed Traveler
- Not Forgotten
- Lingering Souls
- Diabolic Intent
- Altar's Reap , Bankrupt in Blood , Blood Divination , Costly Plunder
- Severed Strands , Bone Splinters
- Torgaar, Famine Incarnate , Demon of Catastrophes
- Knight of the White Orchid
- Spectral Reserves
- Vessel of Malignity
- Vessel of Ephemera
- Debtors' Knell
- Ethereal Absolution
- Always Watching
- Mindwrack Demon
- I'd go down to singles of all the legendary creatures, if you add Diabolic Intent or Diabolic Tutor
You'll want some way to deal with artifacts and enchantments, possibly Seal of Cleansing in the sideboard.
Also you don't have exile-versions of removal, but white and black are good for it, if you wanted to give up some of the "sacrifice for insane value" plan. Utter End and its variants.