Agent of Treachery
Creature — Human Rogue
When Agent of Treachery enters the battlefield, gain control of target permanent.
At the beginning of your end step, if you control three or more permanents you don't own, draw three cards.
Printings View all
|Core Set 2020 (M20)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Agent of Treachery Discussion
2 days ago
VampiricJace I'm excited to see what you come up with!
Like I said, I think the real power from mono blue in the upcoming set with be the ridiculous late game threats that Cavalier of Gales , Vantress Gargoyle , and Thassa, Deep-Dwelling provide. I like the inclusion of Leyline of Anticipation as a free way to play at instant speed and devotion, which would end up being awesome against any flash/control deck.
Another option I didn't mention that I might see working out well is a big-mana strategy, using Agent of Treachery or Mass Manipulation . Not sure if that deck runs Thassa, Deep-Dwelling and chooses to go Simic ramp style instead, but blue devotion with Nyx Lotus paired with Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner and Corridor Monitor could be nasty.
3 days ago
I like this build, it reminds me of the popular Roon of the Hidden Realm EDH decks. I have a few thoughts that you might like to consider:
First off I think reducing the number of high end cards, and smoothing out the curve a bit will help you out alot here. Meteor Golem really isn't needed if you are using Agent of Treachery to steal everything, and I would much rather devote those 4 slots to something like Cavalier of Gales . It is a great target for Thassa, Deep-Dwelling , provides plenty of blue devotion, along with being an Elemental for Risen Reef, and is a major recurring threat that is hard to deal with without exile effects. A straight up swap of all 4 copies would be ideal.
I think your card draw is going to be good enough through Cloudkin Seer , Fblthp, the Lost , Risen Reef and Teferi, Time Raveler that you won't need to run Guardian Project . It is at a point in the mana curve where you would realistically like to be impacting the board, and this build is looking to get into the late game quickly. I would rather play a ramp creature such as Leafkin Druid to get your Agent of Treachery out earlier, or a removal effect such as Brazen Borrower to give you more time against any aggressive matchups.
Charming Prince seems pretty weak in this build since it doesn't add devotion for Thassa, Deep-Dwelling or have the Elemental creature typing. There aren't too many better options in standard for Elemental creatures without playing , however Cavalier of Thorns is a good card to pair with Risen Reef . The mana is going to be tough though, so sticking to a base and only splashing for Teferi, Time Raveler will help clean up the mana. Alternatively, you could run Gilded Goose instead to get your 3 CMC cards on the board turn 2.
It wasn't mentioned whether or not this was intended to be a budget build, so I am sorry if the cards mentioned are either out of price range or too high of rarity to craft with wildcards on MTG Arena, but the power level in standard is extremely high as of Throne of Eldraine and this deck would need to be tuned pretty well in order to be competitive. I hope you like my suggestions!
5 days ago
Mosswort Bridge 's hideaway triggers twice with Yarok, I believe. That could be fun?
Rampaging Baloths seems like a strong landfall payoff.
Agent of Treachery seems like fun.
1 week ago
This looks like a lot of fun to play, but it may need a bit of tweaking.
Creeping Trailblazer does really well with Chandra, Acolyte of Flame and such because you're getting so much extra power. Here it might honestly just slow you down. Growth Spiral is a good early game card to assist your plan: ramping into the big Elementals.
Definitely go up to 4x Risen Reef . While doing so, you really take advantage of your Elemental tribal. If you do this, little Chandra becomes arguably better ramp than Chandra, Novice Pyromancer , although I can see her dual utility in ramp and power boosting.
As strong a card as Nissa, Who Shakes the World is, you've probably ramped enough if you've reached 5 mana already, as the cavaliers, Omnath and Yarok all cost 5 or less. Healer of the Glade is not a very exciting card but it helps against aggro and pairs well with Risen Reef. Otherwise something to copy your important creatures like Spark Double can make games more interesting and is IMO a very fun card to play.
My final suggestion is to take advantage of the ramp you have, and throw in maybe 2 bombs like Agent of Treachery or Drakuseth, Maw of Flames . These don't go with your theme as the Cavaliers are your "Four Horsemen", but it's an option. I'd recommend at least putting in a few removal spells in case the opponent resolves a real problem (especially a Planeswalker... Assassin's Trophy is a flexible one).
These are just things to consider. I like the look of this and would happily try out something similar on Arena.
1 week ago
Hahahaha, this is glorious! I love this so much! I feel like Agent of Treachery just has to be in this deck! And being able to just continually recast it is simply way too good of a payoff to not be included
1 month ago
Thanks for the upvote and the recommendations! Funny, I run Fleshbag Marauder and his other ilk in other decks, but it just hadn't occurred to me to slot them in this deck. I've also been meaning to get some copies of final parting - having another / better way to be able to tutor up my Eternal Witness Deadeye Navigator combo would be good. I should update the deck - as far as additional sac outlets go, I have found that I just don't need them - having 1-3 cloned copies of the best creature(s) on board usually results in some sort of removal :P, and my board state isn't exactly overflowing, most of the time so I want / need my creatures. That said, I replaced Greater Good with Rishkar's Expertise , and replaced Pull from Tomorrow with Baleful Strix as a cantriping blocker. Though, Dimir House Guard being able to also tutor most of the deck including Damnation is enough to keep it around. Perhaps it should just be a straight tutor, then, if that's all I'm using it for... Also trailing out Agent of Treachery as another steal effect / form of card draw.
1 month ago
Hello everyone. This is the first time posting here. I hope I did all this right sorry if I screwed this up. I'm looking to improve my Yarok deck. I know there are at least two cards on the tip of everyone's tung. Questing Beast and Hydroid Krasis . I would love to add thees but alas they are too pricey. The deck is as follows.
Commander) Yarok, the Desecrated
Creatures) Meteor Golem Dream Eater Gravedigger Evolution Sage District Guide Dungeon Geists Cavalier of Gales Murderous Rider Thief of Sanity Golgari Findbroker Agent of Treachery Cavalier of Thorns Paradise Druid Yarok's Fenlurker God-Eternal Rhonas Cavalier of Night Risen Reef Incubation Druid Voracious Hydra
1 month ago
Hey MagicalHacker. Thanks for taking the time and sharing some tips! I actually had a look at your deck in action as one of the sources for inspiration. Great stuff!
Before going over your suggestions, do you have any tips on what to cut :)? Would be nice to also hear your view on what cards you think I shouldn't run.
This is how I currently evaluate the cards you mentioned:
- Animate Dead , Necromancy & Reanimate : I like these cards, but I found the other graveyard recursion cards to be more appealing. I prioritized runing cards that can get me multiple creatures from the grave over one-shot effects. I might get Reanimate back in the list someday just because of the nostalgia factor.
- Aura Thief , Steal Artifact & Steal Enchantment : I don't like that these cards are narrow in application. I prefer to have card with a lot of options over more efficient ones in a control deck like this. Aura thief is really strong, but I am not running ways to get it to the grave reliably (like a sac outlet). That is why I ended u cutting it.
- Control Magic & Dream Leash : Great options if I get some more room for more steal effects. Dream leash is really strong. However, I prefer the other 5-drops I'm running atm, and I want to keep my curve nice and smooth.
- Geth, Lord of the Vault : love this card. However, I ended up cutting it for curve considerations.
- Grave Betrayal & Mind's Dilation : Both cards I like and have been in decks before. However, they are both do-nothing-enchantments for 7 mana. I like the 7-drops I ended up including better (and again, I want to keep a smooth curve).
- Memory Plunder : I don't like this card. It's mana cost is quite prohibitive with all the colored mana and only gets back 1 card. I like Spelltwine better. I might undervalue the fact that it's an instant, but with my playstyle I'm not expecting to hold up 4 mana with this deck.
- Mimic Vat : Fun card, but more at home in an arsticrats-style deck imo. It doesn't have additional synergy with what the deck is doing as I run very few ways to kill creatures.
- Agent of Treachery & Gilded Drake : I already run this duo in my Roon deck, where they are way more busted than in Silumgar. And I prefer to keep my decks distinct if possible.
- Mass Manipulation : Cool card and one I'd like to try out sometime :). Will see if I can acquire one.
- Commandeer : A card I would love to run, but quite pricey, and I haven't gotten around to acquire it yet.
- Pendant of Prosperity : A lovely trinket to steel back. I will give this card some thought :).
Again, thanks for checking out the deck!
GL & HF,