|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2019 (C19)||Rare|
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Rare|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Imprint — Whenever a nontoken creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile that card. If you do return each other card exiled with Mimic Vat to its owner's graveyard.
, : Create a token that's a copy of the exiled card. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.
Mimic Vat Discussion
3 days ago
Looks good! You might like these: Infernal Genesis , Champion of Stray Souls , Ogre Slumlord , Harvester of Souls , Syr Konrad, the Grim , Grave Betrayal , Gray Merchant of Asphodel , Cauldron of Souls , Desecrated Tomb , Mimic Vat , Xathrid Necromancer .
Also, I hate to burst your bubble, but Carrion has been errata'd; You only sacrifice one creature at the time of casting, you can't sacrifice more than one.
4 days ago
Hey MagicalHacker. Thanks for taking the time and sharing some tips! I actually had a look at your deck in action as one of the sources for inspiration. Great stuff!
Before going over your suggestions, do you have any tips on what to cut :)? Would be nice to also hear your view on what cards you think I shouldn't run.
This is how I currently evaluate the cards you mentioned:
- Animate Dead , Necromancy & Reanimate : I like these cards, but I found the other graveyard recursion cards to be more appealing. I prioritized runing cards that can get me multiple creatures from the grave over one-shot effects. I might get Reanimate back in the list someday just because of the nostalgia factor.
- Aura Thief , Steal Artifact & Steal Enchantment : I don't like that these cards are narrow in application. I prefer to have card with a lot of options over more efficient ones in a control deck like this. Aura thief is really strong, but I am not running ways to get it to the grave reliably (like a sac outlet). That is why I ended u cutting it.
- Control Magic & Dream Leash : Great options if I get some more room for more steal effects. Dream leash is really strong. However, I prefer the other 5-drops I'm running atm, and I want to keep my curve nice and smooth.
- Geth, Lord of the Vault : love this card. However, I ended up cutting it for curve considerations.
- Grave Betrayal & Mind's Dilation : Both cards I like and have been in decks before. However, they are both do-nothing-enchantments for 7 mana. I like the 7-drops I ended up including better (and again, I want to keep a smooth curve).
- Memory Plunder : I don't like this card. It's mana cost is quite prohibitive with all the colored mana and only gets back 1 card. I like Spelltwine better. I might undervalue the fact that it's an instant, but with my playstyle I'm not expecting to hold up 4 mana with this deck.
- Mimic Vat : Fun card, but more at home in an arsticrats-style deck imo. It doesn't have additional synergy with what the deck is doing as I run very few ways to kill creatures.
- Agent of Treachery & Gilded Drake : I already run this duo in my Roon deck, where they are way more busted than in Silumgar. And I prefer to keep my decks distinct if possible.
- Mass Manipulation : Cool card and one I'd like to try out sometime :). Will see if I can acquire one.
- Commandeer : A card I would love to run, but quite pricey, and I haven't gotten around to acquire it yet.
- Pendant of Prosperity : A lovely trinket to steel back. I will give this card some thought :).
Again, thanks for checking out the deck!
GL & HF,
4 days ago
Comparing my Silumgar deck to yours, they are about half or more different (including lands), but I wanted to point out eighteen cards I think you should consider adding, nine of which are already on your maybeboard:
Animate Dead , Aura Thief , Control Magic , Geth, Lord of the Vault , Grave Betrayal , Memory Plunder , Mimic Vat , Mind's Dilation , and Steal Artifact should move into the mainboard from the maybeboard.
Agent of Treachery , Commandeer , Dream Leash , Gilded Drake , Mass Manipulation , Necromancy , Pendant of Prosperity , Reanimate , and Steal Enchantment should skip the maybeboard and go straight to the mainboard.
These are simply my suggestions! If you are unsure of if these cards are as good as I say they are, check out my deck at The Bloodhall Season 1 - Dragonlord Silumgar and you can see how the deck plays in videos in its description.
6 days ago
2 weeks ago
DarthDC the different ping equipment serve different purposes so it's really want you want out of it.
Viridian Longbow has the lowest casting but a higher equip cost. It only allows for a single ping as well however when combines with Thornbite staff you get unlimited deathtouch pings and your opponents wont be able to keep a non hexproof/shroud creature on the table.
Thornbite Staff has the highest costs but represents a reusable "Pay 2: Kill a creature, gain a life" so if mana isn't a concern it is the way to go.
Heartpiercer Bow has the lowest costs but has more hoops to jump through and can only be used once. If you are super tight on mana then this is the optimal card.
If money is of no concern I suggest including Thornbite staff and Viridian Longbow for the above interactions described.
As far as your 5 drops are concerned, Cavalier of Thorns is a really weak option. In general you don't need to have powerful 5 drops because at 5 mana you want to play your commander. Muldrifter is a 3 drop most of the time and then you abuse the body via Mimic Vat , bounce, or other recursion methods so only in the instance where you have spare mana or you need a flying body would you pay 5 for it.
For a way to remove the anti-ETB pieces I wouldn't suggest something as slow as Nev's disk because you can't garuntee you will be able to untap it. It is PARAMOUNT that you can stop these cards so versatile removal like Abrupt Decay or Beast Within that can remove creatures or artifacts is highly recommended.
2 weeks ago
Hope you're enjoying the deck! Here's a few suggestions if you want from when I had mine together, tempted to rebuild it:
Mimic Vat is tons of fun in this deck. Outside of your own big creatures, sometimes your opponent self-mills something spicy and you can't resist it...
Aetherflux Reservoir is a staple, but it's pretty hilarious when you can fling Serra Avatar , gain your life back, then one shot someone (or two) with it. (Best case scenario, but Brion Stoutarm gains you life throughout the game.
Sigil of the New Dawn lets you get back those creatures you flung.
Moltensteel Dragon is a cute addition. Pay a bunch of life you gained to pump up its power to finish someone off.
Rite of the Raging Storm gets you elementals to throw every turn. Plus, your opponents get them and can only attack each other with them! Mwahahahahaha
Vandalblast is a staple suggestion is all.
2 weeks ago
SideBae unfortunately "as it enters" is not an ETB trigger. ETB triggers have the distinct text starting the sentence with "When", "Whenever", and "If."
Your deck seems solid but I would suggest adding in some more draw power. There are easy to mention (but expensive) cards like Rhystic Study and Sylvan Library but Yarok can enhance effects like Guardian Project and Soul of the Harvest to become very potent. There are plenty of 2-3 CmC creatures that have a draw ETBs that are worth considering as well.
Creature tutors can be even more valuable than generic tutors. I suggest including Eldritch Evolution , Neoform , Prime Speaker Vannifar , and Birthing Pod to turn your used ETB bodies into fodder to find even more creatures with ETBs.
Some of Yarok's most hidden gems are cards that simply let you do more of what you are already doing. Phantasmal Image , Temur Sabertooth , Bramble Sovereign , Progenitor Mimic , Ghostly Flicker , Repudiate / Replicate , Rite of Replication , Mimic Vat , and Crystal Shard are great examples that allow you do copy or reuse ETB effects.
Make sure you include Instant and sorceries for removal because nothing suck more than getting stuck by a Torpor Orb when all of your removal is ETB based. Krosan Grip , Force of Vigor , Return to Nature , Nature's Claim , Beast Within , etc.
2 weeks ago
Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer and Mimic Vat on the field, random creature imprinted to the vat, create token, then on combat through brudiclad I make them a copy of something else. Do they still die at the end of the turn to mimic vat? I think it could, but I'm uncertain, so I just want to make sure I need to exile them at the end of turn.
Mimic Vat occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.05%