|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Ashes of the Abhorrent
Players can't cast spells from graveyards or activate abilities of cards in graveyards.
Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life.
Ashes of the Abhorrent Discussion
5 days ago
True Conviction is really good but I think you could change that card for some removal like Path to Exile , or Rebuff the Wicked . Even a Forsake the Worldly would be better, at least that is what I see this deck lacks. Ashes of the Abhorrent , Luminarch Ascension
1 week ago
Within 2 Months, we have an update:
We got stuff added, but some still include Anti-ETB, & now Anti-Death Triggers from Hushbringer . Also, we got a new "Rule of Law"-like card called Deafening Silence might even be a big treat on its own. So I ask:
Is there such a thing as a Good Boros-Friendly Sorcery in cEDH? Is so, what? I'm stunned I only have 5 in general...
Sometimes Stax shouldn't be the only strategy here; hell I still have failed to make my own Breakfast-Hulk (Or similar...) combo for Boros. I already have several ideas for combos for otherwise. Any other ideas?
Is anyone here cEDH-centric, but supports Boros even if they don't have the "Same" thing as any other colors?
6/FINAL: How can I even make Eldrazi Displacer Viable as an ETB Engine anymore?
I hope this helps. I'm SO far away from 100 cards it is MURDER. Thanks if anyone wants to help... :D
1 month ago
Here are some tips:
1) Try to keep deck size down to 60
2) Similar to #1, increase the number of four-ofs to increase consistency between games. (Generally, singles are for decks with tutors/heavy card draw. Your deck has neither so it relies the most on your starting hand). I'd consider cards like Cruel Celebrant , Blood Artist , Cordial Vampire
3) Cards like Call to the Feast shouldn't be 4-ofs because of the mana cost. 4-ofs should be cards that are great both early game and late game, and are part of your core strategy. Remember that high CMC cost cards don't need as many copies. For example, a 5 mana card can only be cast as early as turn 5 (fair decks). Therefore by then you'd have gone through 7+5 (Starting hand+5 draws) cards in your deck to have found it.
6) Increase the number of Champion of Dusk . This is because card draw in black/white is very rare and as a 5-mana cost creature, very good to your mana curve. By the time you amass 5 mana you can cast it, hopefully with quite a few vampires on the field. I'd use 3 of them.
6) Drop Ashes of the Abhorrent , it's not good enough. Enchantments/Artifacts here should buff up your creatures or generate creature tokens. (Creature-focused deck)
7) Remove Cliffhaven Vampire . This is because it's a "win-more" card. Here, it requires you to have a certain board state (aka ability to gain life) for it to be useful. As a general rule, higher mana cost investments should be able to turn around a bad situation (board wipe/etc) or require no boardstate when you cast it (aka "good on its own")
8) Remove Kambal, Consul of Allocation . This is because you don't want your strategy to be dependent on your opponent's (unless this is in your sideboard). What if the opponent is playing a creature deck? It'd be pretty useless.
9) Sanguine Bond 's effect is a little redundant here, we already have enough of this effect on the board
10) I'd consider removing Orzhov Basilica because most of the time you're going to need mana on turn two. I'd hate for your lands to be tapped when they come into play.
2 months ago
It would be good to remove Temple of the False God , thats not a very good card for your opening hand, its pretty much only good once you already have plenty of mana, and in an Orzhov sacrifice deck you'll want cheap creatures that may or may not even use colorless mana to summon. Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse are similarly not good for much, you dont have a very big mana fixing issue to put up with in a two color deck so I'd replace those with some basics or some two color lands if your budget allows for some of the better ones. Field of Ruin , Ghost Quarter , and Tectonic Edge are also some cards to consider to help you deal with problem lands. The lack of a need to fix your mana would also lead me to replace Armillary Sphere , Journeyer's Kite , and Wayfarer's Bauble with some actual artifact ramp. Fellwar Stone , Mind Stone , and Commander's Sphere would be great for you. Now that mana is out of the way, Lets talk sacrificing; How are you going to do it and why? As for how, Right now your only way to sac creatures is your commander. that will make it hard to do if your commander gets taken, killed, or otherwise stuck in the command zone. you also want a little more variety as to the effects you get from sacrificing critters. Bloodsoaked Altar just came out with 2020 and it can very quickly make an army of demons out of low cost creatures or even spirit tokens. Ashnod's Altar and Phyrexian Altar also just fill up your mana pool for sacrificing creatures, which will help you cast even more spells. Of course, Yahenni, Undying Partisan can sacrifice creatures like there's no tomorrow and make for a very effective blocker. As for why you would want to sac a creature, you hit that pretty well with Grave Pact and Butcher of Malakir , you can force death triggers to proc for doing something that was already benefiting you. Pawn of Ulamog is a really nice death trigger and so is Black Market , and both of those will net you some serious mana if you let them. The best way I've found is to find cards with "when a creature dies" in the rules text, and there's too many of them for me to list here so I'll direct you to Scryfall.com to find more. Victimize is just one of many ways for sacrificing creatures to help your cause because it lets you get creatures back from the graveyard, and graveyard recursion is something I'd put a lot of thought into here. Eternal Taskmaster is pretty okay with it, and any effect that puts the card into your hand rather than onto the battlefield will dodge Graveyard hate like Ashes of the Abhorrent and Rest in Peace . Phyrexian Delver , Phyrexian Reclamation , Exhume , Animate Dead , and Reanimate are all very good ways to "recycle" your creatures. And of course, as long as you're putting graveyard recursion into your deck, cards like Final Parting , Entomb and Buried Alive are all much better tutors than they otherwise would be. On the whole, if you need to swap cards for new ones, start by cutting the cards in your deck that are CMC 4 or more. Cheap creatures hurt a lot less to sacrifice, and they make Heartless Summoning a much better card. any creatures with Enter the Battlefield effects would be my go to cards to sac and recur.
2 months ago
You could maybe play some Morbid cards like Skirsdag High Priest , but that's all I can really say. Most of the card choices here look solid to me. I'll list a few cards that you don't have in the maybeboard: Ajani's Last Stand , Ashes of the Abhorrent , Demon of Dark Schemes , Kaya's Guile , Dictate of Erebos , Dross Harvester , Massacre Girl , Ogre Slumlord .
2 months ago
3 months ago
As for numbers, I'm not entirely sure, but I think that Corpse Knight could be fairly good if you play it right after a Kaya's Wrath . After wiping your opponents board, assuming you didn't play all the creatures in your hand, you could play Corpse Knight and then dump out all the cheap creatures in your hand. Then you'd not only have a better board advantage but Corpse Knight would just ping your opponent for a lot of damage as well. And speaking of Kaya's Wrath, maybe add some enchantments like Ashes of the Abhorrent , Open the Graves , or Revel in Riches so that when creatures die, you get more free stuff.
3 months ago
I made a chopping block, figuring I can live without these cards and replace them with probably lands but other cards for sure. I threw most of this together a little quickly after all:
Yahenni, Undying Partisan , Mother of Runes , Dread Shade , Well of Lost Dreams , Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant , Wall of Glare , Iona, Shield of Emeria , Obzedat, Ghost Council , Sentry of the Underworld , Lord of the Void , True Conviction , Ashes of the Abhorrent , Swords to Plowshares
I also just straight swapped my Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds for swamps. I end up using them to search for one 90% of the time anyways, and more swamps lets my Extraplanar Lens give me more.
Ashes of the Abhorrent occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%