Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Search your library for a blue instant card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
sylvannos on Hoax Storm v2
1 month ago
To start with, there's a few cards that have better Vintage equivalents. Overmaster and Spell Pierce should be the 3rd. and 4th. copies of Force of Will. Leftover space from cutting those can be Red Elemental Blast, Pyroblast, or Flusterstorm. You don't need Faithless Looting because we have Paradoxical Outcome, Sensei's Divining Top, Gush, Dig Through Time, Treasure Cruise, and Brainstorm to choose from. Merchant Scroll also belongs in here, because you can use it to grab Ancestral Recall at the very least. Usually you want it to make sure you have protection in hand by grabbing countermagic.
Library of Alexandria isn't good in this deck. And you're not the type that needs 8x sources, so Steam Vents can go, along with a few copies of Volcanic Island (1 or 2). Replace all of these with four copies of Scalding Tarn and basic lands. Or even just play 6x fetches. You need to be able to shuffle after using Brainstorm, Ponder,and Sensei's Divining Top.
From here, you have a solid U/R Storm shell. However, I wouldn't play straight "Modern U/R Storm, but Power 9" dot dec. 2 mana is a lot for Goblin Electromancer, there are easier ways of winning than Grapeshot, and so on. The question then becomes "Where to go from here?"
- Paradoxical Outcome is just the nuts. By bouncing moxen and cheap artifacts, it's a ritual (since you can replay everything for , untapping it all) and it's a draw spell. However, Paradoxical Outcome requires Mox Opals, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, etc. so you'll have to cut rituals (likely Seething Song). The upside is you get an extremely powerful engine that can often end the game with a single Paradoxical Outcome.
- Thassa's Oracle is the new hotness for Vintage combo cards. You can win the game by casting Brain Freeze on yourself, then casting Thassa's Oracle. It also opens up more combos using Demonic Consultation and Doomsday. Sometimes you've just drawn a bunch of cards and have ~3 cards left in your deck.
- Tinker is too good in Storm not to play it. You're either getting Memory Jar, Bolas's Citadel, Time Vault (Voltaic Key is already good in Storm when combined with Mana Vault and friends), or a random wincon like Sphinx of the Steel Wind boarded in for game 2. Bolas's Citadel will essentially flip the top half of your deck into play.
- You can also play draw 7s (Wheel of Fortune, Timetwister, Memory Jar, Diminishing Returns) in combination with Narset, Parter of Veils and Hullbreacher.
- Mana Drain is good, but you may find it too slow if you make any of the above changes. It definitely does more work in a more control-oriented Storm deck with Narset, Parter of Veils, Dack Fayden, Grim Tutor, etc.
- Lastly, there's the question of Underworld Breach, Yawgmoth's Will, Monastery Mentor, or some combination of these. Underworld Breach will mean you can stay in two colors. Playing black for Yawgmoth's Will allows you to play Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Necropotence, Doomsday, Tendrils of Agony, and hardcasting Bolas's Citadel. Monastery Mentor both scales up and goes sideways. A single token is enough to kill someone combined with Paradoxical Outcome or a draw 7. Monastery Mentor is like casting Tarmogoyf and Empty the Warrens for three mana and one card.
Hope this helps! Welcome to MtG's oldest and greatest format.
Guerric on Fish are friends
1 year ago
One more thing I forgot! Don't sleep on some inexpensive (in real world $ and mana) tutors that blue has. They're not all overpriced like Mystical Tutor. Solve the Equation gets you any instant or sorcery you want. Merchant Scroll is great for getting a counterspell. Fabricate, Whir of Invention, and Reshape can get you artifacts. Long-Term Plans will put anything you want three cards down in your library, which is great when you are in the color that can easily draw into it. You don't even have to show it to your opponents! You'll love the consistency just a few of these cards brings.
Barjack521 on Taniwha Edh
1 year ago
have you considered the versatility of Solve the Equation over something like Merchant Scroll?
BOXES_O_MOXES on Ardenn-Esior Caw Blade [Pauper EDH] "Contest Deck"
1 year ago
Thanks for the reply. I'm confused though. There is quite a bit of card draw and tutoring in the deck. Granted, this is an older build that hasn't underwent any changes since Commander Legends. This was a contest deck built solely for that purpose with what I believed to be at the time the best cards for this deck in specific.
When you note, "I don't see a lot of draw in this". I'm wondering if you really looked the deck over. I noted in early playtesting that it was lacking draw so I added as much as I could without concentrating solely on drawing cards. Examples below.
And on top of these, Flicker effects can blink Archaeomancer or Mnemonic Wall to get you back your Ghostly Flicker plus an Anticipate, Impulse, Ponder, Preordain etc over and over.
So I mean, There's plenty of draw and pseudo "draw" with transmute and tutor effects. There have been some other cards printed since that should probably be reviewed but I didn't intend on this being a deck I would really spend a lot of my time on. It was built primarily to showcase partner commanders. Especially those being newly released.
I'd be more than happy to hear out any changes that you think should be made. As far as I can tell the best pauper draw spells that are in this deck's color pie are already included in the deck. (Providing they were available for use when CMDR Legends was released).
king-saproling on Bounce n draw with a special lil falcon
1 year ago
Cool deck! You might like these: Drift of Phantasms, Merchant Scroll, Step Through, Vedalken AEthermage, Apprentice Wizard, Springleaf Drum, Sea Gate Oracle, Augur of Bolas, Repulse, Drag Under, Capsize, Salvager of Secrets, Mnemonic Wall, Scrivener, Rush of Knowledge.
Also I noticed you're running Treasure Cruise, which is banned in pauper. If your group doesn't care about the banlist, you might also consider running Peregrine Drake as it combos with things like Displace + Archaeomancer.
TiberiusS on Kalamax Magecraft Spellslinger (Budget)
1 year ago
Hi, I like the decklist. I was wondering if there was any reason why you run copy spells that don't trigger any of your infinite combos like Teach by Example and Galvanic Iteration? I get the single Kalamax and double magecraft triggers they give but they seem kind of situational and I was curious whether or not its better than more hard disruption/protection or something that will make your infinite combos more consistent? I was also wondering whether or not you've considered any of the following: Whispers of the Muse, Fire / Ice, Merchant Scroll, Muddle the Mixture, Drift of Phantasms
Kurppa on Niv-Mizzet, Wheel of Pings
1 year ago
Cool to know more about how the deck developed to it's current state. In the "concept" section you do mention that it's a more combo focused so i guess i could've taken that into account.
well you could maybe use a few tutors, along with the transmute package, or replace some of them it one of these: Parallel Thoughts, Long-Term Plans or Gamble. Paralell thoughts is pretty underused, and considering how much draw you have, it could be good - the same with long-term plans. gamble is... well a gamble, but since you have a large hand the odds get better. parallel thoughts is a bit overkill, since you really only need just one of 2 cards, and the other 5 just take up space.
Merchant Scroll and Mystical Tutor can grab any of your transmute or others spells, and are instants.
the transmute cards are less expensive mana wise, but less versatile. if you have merchant scroll in hand, you can spend 5 mana to get a combo piece, compared to just transmuting for 3 and possibly comboing that turn.
but yeah the transmute cards are reliable.
hopefully those align with your current plan with the deck better.
tiffanyann on Unique Commanders
1 year ago
Oh God here we go.
Brine Hag WTF IS THIS
Dire Fleet Ravager YES.
Elaborate Firecannon MUST INCLUDE
Fathom Fleet ANYTHING
Forerunner of the Coalition COP DFR
Gyruda, Doom of Depths SHOULD WE DO ALL EVEN HAHA NO
|Have (3)||sachiel2nd , Azdranax , metalmagic|
|Want (6)||C0LDE , fibion101 , Wriggley , Amaterasu312 , BushDidTheBastille , SaveTheDolphins|