|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Tempest Remastered (TPR)||Mythic Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Oath of Druids
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses target player who controls more creatures than he or she does and is his or her opponent. The first player may reveal cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals a creature card. If he or she does, that player puts that card onto the battlefield and all other cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (35)||Supremespeed , gildan_bladeborn , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , TheRealPeaches , Spinalripper , duff87 , Fineontheoutside , Wolfninja , Va1mar , Wolfebladeelite , saj0219 , Kleptozaniac , ducttapedeckbox , Notepad95 , AlbinoLion , TheAnnihilator , goodair , Candyman949 , Bluboltar , TheRealSpecialK , Mortiferus_Rosa , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , RedSinR , failurechild88 , Lindough , DrPopular , Nemesis , mentor6 , TehDelta , kaikaitanner , thetechzombie , KB2187 , Borg0th , Epidilius , meowCat1234|
|Want (16)||Arcbounder , Liquicitizen , cybertop , Lordaether , cainedipp , king0fclubs , PRO-AUGMANDOO , itskevinmiller , jamiefosternz , flowersofevil , TiredTofu , Epoch5436 , kovellen , arthurxisde , mooseonwhiskey , rco|
Latest as Commander
Oath of Druids Discussion
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
@Osbert Thank You very much for Your deep study on my deck. Here are my anwsers:
- I've been using Crystal Shard, Erratic Portal some time ago and I wasn't happy with that. Just imagine that You cascade in one of these instead of some big nasty creature - impact on the board is too small. I don't need cut cost of casting Commander thanks to many ramp cards, also if Maelstrom Wanderer is still on the board then it's time to cast creatures from hand, they will have haste so impact is good enough (in other circumstances creature cards left at hand would be dead cards because most of time You cast Commander only).
- About making top deck stronger there are two things that prevent me from putting cards You listed (well, there is third reason - I don't have most of these:) ). First is that I really like randomness of cascades (it's still limited by card selection). Second is just the same like with bouncing cards - cascading into them will make one cast of commander weaker. Still there is Sensei's Divining Top for top decking, which is also a lifesaver when You need next land drop and I won't cut it out.
- I run Lurking Predators only - because that card doesn't need mana to activate (most of times Commander eat almost all of mana) and it's working just fine without any help. Sometimes it's better to leave land on top deck (if more mana is needed for next cast from command zone), sometimes You are already overextended and expect wrath effect spell from others.
- Well Oath of Druids is tempting because it could make early game more than just ramping. Still these creatures won't have haste (and my ETB effects won't change much) and opponents can also use Oath's effect to put creatures from their decks making more blockers, ramp or even combo. I need to see that card in action because now I can't predict if it will make advantage or disadvantage.
- There isn't too much standard spot removal besides of Beast Within (already is in deck) and Pongify which is very cheap (only one blue mana). Also there are some kind of removals: Inferno Titan, Phyrexian Ingester, Terastodon, Tyrant's Familiar, Primal Command, Warstorm Surge (plus creatures entering board). If that's not enough AOE cards will try to compensate. I will keep in mind Krosan Grip and Reality Shift (didn't know second card, it's really nice when facing indestructible creatures)). But Wave of Vitriol can hit me also and probably will wait long on hand. Song of the Dryads still can be removed and threat would return.
- From these Mystic Confluence and Cryptic Command most valuable are abilities that make Commander and creatures more evasive (this deck doesn't need more card draw) and of course occasional counterspelling. But, so far, evasion from creatures, lands and some spot or AOE removals were just enough to deal damage (especially overloaded Cyclonic Rift).
- Already got Mystical Tutor in this deck. And yes - it's great. It can go for Tooth and Nail or Cyclonic Rift, even when facing mana screw I sometimes use it for ramp spell. Worldly Tutor could make more control over deck (or top decking) but still I prefer to cast Commander than casting single creature and like that randomness.
- About strange cards in my deck: Burnished Hart well I could change it for something better - can You give me some ideas (especially cards that put 2 lands)? Ixidron - You don't have to cast card that fit cascade requirements (they can go to the bottom of library) so it won't hurt controlled creatures, also Commander comes into play AFTER cascades resolve (he is on the stack until then) so it will never hurt him. This card can hit very hard other commanders as they won't go to command zone. It's weakness is that it won't affect tokens but I take that risk. Curse of the Swine has exile effect (which is quite rare in RUG) and it can be single or multi target I keep it for that versality (even if it does not have synergy with Commander). Knowledge Exploitation is for 7 mana so it can be cascaded for free, also I have enough mana to cast it from hand. Best case scenario is when it hits with first cascade, then You can go for some funny card from opponent deck (some kind of wrath effect) and then cast creature from second cascade - it will result in clear board and then Maelstrom Wanderer and that other creature will come.
3 weeks ago
A more reliable way of setting the top of your deck up for cascading might be worth a look: Cream of the Crop, Brainstorm, Scroll Rack, Sylvan Library, or Mirri's Guile. If you use many of these might as well abuse similar powerful effects like Lurking Predators, Call of the Wild, or Impromptu Raid.
With the low-ish creature count Oath of Druids can drop some scary threats very early.
3 weeks ago
This deck looks fun, unique and interesting. I am a little concerned about the lack of creatures. I suggest putting a Living Death into the deck. You may wish to put in more enchantment creatures and Oath of Druids. I hope these suggestions have helped a little!
1 month ago
When you look at Phelddagriff, I assume you see group hug, maybe some political action, who knows. Not cEDH, however it's trample ability give an opponent a creature, and for two green you can make sure an opponent has more creatures than you, what does this mean?
Now imagine you could then have no creatures in your library, milling into Memory's Journey, and as this is on your upkeep, you can choose to only put one card in your deck, or drop the Journey and run Nexus of Fate, getting infinite turns to kill with a 4/4 flying pheldagrif.
Do you all think this could work? 7 mana per turn isn't easy, but isn't impossible. Memory's Journey is a 'save card' with Pull from Eternity to get us back into the game if we can't go infinite turns. Krosan Reclamation if your Memory's Journey is countered.
2 months ago
Also, budget players often cannot afford them, some decks like Oath of Druids combo can't run any creatures, some decks like Madcap Experiment can't run any non Platinum Emperion artifacts in the deck, some decks are multicolor, but are creature-based stax decks that hate on artifacts with Stony Silence/Null Rod effects.
2 months ago
Oath of Druids helps fill the graveyard. Also, the card has a CMC of 2. You'll notice that the deck plays almost no ramp despite being mono-green, that's on purpose. The deck is designed to focus on low casting cost spells. 64.5% of the cards in the deck cost 3 or less mana. 75.8% cost 4 or less.
Lurking Predators CMC is the biggest reason I'm not looking to play it in this build.
2 months ago
Awesome man! glad I could help out. Would you consider throwing Lurking Predators in at all? I would think maybe for Oath of Druids since Oath is more of a group hug thing, unless thats your goal in which case it's a great card.