|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Shapeshifter
You may have Stunt Double enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the the battlefield.
Stunt Double Discussion
3 weeks ago
Changing to all your Island s to Snow-Covered Island s is a good idea, if you want to keep the Extraplanar Lens . I don't think it's good enough, though. It costs you a land to imprint when it comes in, meaning it is fundamentally a source of card advantage. And, especially if you're the only one benefiting from Extraplanar Lens due to snow shenanigans, it has a massive target on its face and will usually be removed fast. That has been my experience with the card -- if yours is different, disregard this part of my comment.
With regard to the cutting of mass removal, I think it is an idea in the right direction. However, I think removal in general isn't a bad idea. I think you should be buying time in the early game until your general comes down, trying to avoid getting killed. Spot removal like Winds of Rebuke , Chain of Vapor , Cyclonic Rift , Rapid Hybridization and Reality Shift are all worth considering. Bounce has an interesting bonus in that it often wastes an opponent's turn to recast whatever you bounced. Most of these spells are less mana than Nevinyrral's Disk , All Is Dust , etc., which means they shouldn't compete with casting your general too often. Theoretically, you'd turn 1 - 2.5 ramp, turn 3 - 4 ramp/remove, turn 5+ cast general and try to win. Notice that this brings up one of the issues with mono-blue: removal, at least in a permanent sense like Swords to Plowshares , is relatively hard to come by.
With regard to cuts, I think it's worth thinking of the tutors as 'Wild Cards.' Tutors act as any combo piece they can fetch -- for instance, Muddle the Mixture can be thought of as a slower copy of either Isochron Scepter OR Dramatic Reversal . Seeing the tutors in this light helps show that you only really need to run one or two loops, as drawing the 'second part' of the combo becomes more and more likely with more and more tutors.
If you want to run the Dramatic Scepter combo, I suggest cutting a bunch of the Palinchron loops. Palinchron is a huge spell to cast, meaning it is difficult to cast. Running Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal and another infinite-mana combo (I suggest Grand Architect with Pili-Pala or Basalt Monolith with Rings of Brighthearth ) is likely enough, and all these combos are less mana intense than the Palinchron loops.
Cuts I suggest are as follows:
- Thwart : Both costs on this card are prohibitive. Leaving four mana up in order to hardcast it means using four less mana on your turn, which can leave a major dent in your available resources. Returning three Island s is the antithesis of ramp, and sets you way back.
- Rite of Replication : Unless I am missing something, this is in the deck for value. However, it is nine mana to cast in a way that is better than Stunt Double , and because tokens stop existing when they're bounced, the creature it makes is less durable than other Clone effects. Rite of Replication is a good card, but I don't think it is good enough to make it in a cEDH deck.
- Heartstone : This is a card I'm not sure either way about. Once you make infinite mana, its cost-reducing effect is irrelevant; before, it may be worse than just a Ponder or Preordain . Depending on how often you want to use a non-combo win, it may be worth cutting. Playtesting will iron this out.
- Swiftfoot Boots : I don't think you need both this AND Lightning Greaves . I think Lightning Greaves is straight better, if only because it costs no mana to equip.
- Darksteel Forge : By the time you've gotten to nine-mana, you should be threatening to win the game any turn. If this is meant to make your blockers better-off in combat, Propaganda is a straight better choice.
- Treasure Mage : If you take my advise and go with combo pieces with lower costs, this card won't fetch enough to justify its inclusion.
- Alloy Myr : In this list, Alloy Myr is just a worse Silver Myr .
- Ring of Three Wishes : The tutors I suggested are much cheaper than this card. Five mana to cast and five to activate is too much, most of the time; you'd be better off with Whir of Invention , which has the added bonus of being instant-speed.
1 month ago
I'd look at all the clones. To get up to at least 26 or 27 creatures.
1 month ago
1 month ago
I would definitely replace Spark Double with Sakashima as it is way better but I don't own a foil Sakashima. Altered Ego and Dack's Duplicate offer unique advantages as well. Stunt Double also has flash.
3 months ago
You seem to be running two copies of Voltaic Key ... I don't think that's allowed in EDH.
If you're playing Mono-Blue good stuff, I highly suggest Mystic Remora as a source of early card advantage.
In mono-blue, you might want to consider Back to Basics .
I don't think you should run Bonehoard , because your general counters the first equip activation.
Strip Mine is useful as a 1-of effect to take out The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale or other obnoxious lands. I don't think you need the Wasteland as well; you may have more luck with just a basic Island , especially if you choose to run Back to Basics .
Consecrated Sphinx is good as a value blue card. The card advantage is just nuts.
Good luck with deck building!
3 months ago
As the above poster stated, they are functionally different. To give an example I personally run into...
I can Imperial Recruiter to search for a 0/0 like Stunt Double at any time but searching a * like Tishana, Voice of Thunder requires me to be at 2 cards or less in hand because the * applies to all zones.
3 months ago
As you cast The Trickster, choose one:
O: Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
O: You may have The Trickster enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield.
Essentially, this is either a Stunt Double or a Fork effect. Most of the best Clone/Copy effects are in Izzet colors, so I went with that. Is this sort of thing OP? Would this be something that could see print one day?
Stunt Double occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%