|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Return to Ravnica||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf Shaman
: Target creature gets +1/+1 and gains intimidate until end of turn. (It can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it.)
, Sacrifice a nontoken creature: Create X 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens, where X is the sacrificed creature's toughness.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Korozda Guildmage Discussion
2 weeks ago
Catacomb Sifter tends to end up being really good in Meren. It doesn't seem amazing on paper, but it tends to get ignored and scry a billion times and Eldrazi Spawn tokens are incredibly good in Meren.
1 month ago
I love this deck. it's probably possible to make a fairly budget version, which I love even more :p . With the number of 'anthem' type effects and aggro approach you could probably do with some cheaper creatures regardless - Tasseled Dromedary and the like. There are loads of 1 white mana 0/4s that would make for a very interesting and more consistent turn 3 attack. other nice buffs like Shield Wall would also work well with this. some other plain old walls would also work well with an 'early game' approach if you threw in a little more 'defender' removing stuff. Things like Abzan Beastmaster could help you keep some cards in hand. If you're liking the life gain, Angelic Chorus and maybe even Genju of the Fields could be interesting. Colfenor's Urn seems like it would be worth having. Diamond Valley in an emergency, Proper Burial, maybe with Fruit of the First Tree. If you need tokens, Korozda Guildmage's your gal. Scourge of Skola Vale, Sight of the Scalelords, Sentinel, Sworn Defender, Traproot Kami, and Tree of Redemption could also be fun :)
2 months ago
Some cards that were in my Golgari deck were Jarad's Orders, Golgari Charm, Abrupt Decay, Putrefy, and Deadbridge Goliath. Two of the cards I got from my MM2017 box were Golgari Germination and Golgari Rotwurm. Deathrite Shaman is always good and Korozda Guildmage would be good if you went the Saproling route.
2 months ago
Nice, simple idea for modern. I think the secret to running budget black decks are a lot of hand disruption and a stable manabase. If you can find some of the more budget b/g lands, that will help. Llanowar Wastes, that sort of thing. Scythe Leopard, Gatecreeper Vine and Liliana's Elite are likely to underperform compared to some other dirt-cheap options.
General advice- go heavy on one colour so that you can pack your deck with cards of that colour then leave the other for later in the game, where you can afford to be paying mana with lands that come into play tapped.
This means either early game black (hand/board disruption) or early game green (Elves of Deep Shadow/Sakura-Tribe Elder). What you choose to focus on can then inform the cmc and gamplan for the rest of your cards. Either way, lots of 1 and 2 drops will help you survive.
I'll start with disruption options- Vendetta, Victim of Night, Smother, Geth's Verdict Bile Blight etc for creature removal, Duress, Black Cat, Ravenous Rats, Rotting Rats, Nezumi Bone-Reader and Thoughtpicker Witch for hand disrution are all solid choices that match your game plan.
Interesting or efficient creature options Rot Shambler/Mortician Beetle (growing threats), Zulaport Cutthroat/Blood Artist (lifedrain and victory without attacks with a sacrifice outlet), Dross Harvester (bolt and path resistance), Ogre Slumlord for rat tribal combo , Pawn of Ulamog/Sifter of Skulls for more tokens, Quirion Dryad/Vinelasher Kudzu for growing threats Bloodthrone Vampire/Indulgent Aristocrat/Carrier Thrall for vamp tribal, Nest Invader for more token/ramp, Boneyard Wurm/Satyr Wayfinder/Graveblade Marauder/Nighthowler/Splinterfright/Gnarlwood Dryad are all fairly functional for a more graveyard-reliant setup, and Svogthos, the Restless Tomb is a cheap and functional manland.
Sideboard options Elvish Eulogist(in an elf heavy list) Elvish Hexhunter Vampire Hexmage Bottle Gnomes Dryad Militant Delirium Skeins etc. There is a lot out there in these colours.If a lot of cards are ending up in the graveyard as the game draws out, spells like Hooting Mandrills, Gurmag Angler or Become Immense start becoming more valuable.
The question is always going to be what is my opponents plan, and how do I stop that- are my opponents playing Rest in Peace or smilar to deal with graveyard shenanigans, will they kill me before I kill them as every card in their deck is effectively Lightning Bolt, or will they be able to Remand all my spells while they hit me with Delver of Secrets Flip. Things that disrupt their plan are usually good, especially when they help your plan.
There are a lot of cards to much around with and play- I'd reccomend testing online before going hunting for things specific, focus on a single strategy when picking cards and if you choose to go less-budget, focus on lands first. Reliably casting spells is the core of the game.
4 months ago
Of course, the theme of this deck is creatures. Creatures, creatures, creatures! And benefiting from their death! And the Winding Constrictor while helpful, she already gets the basic cap of 12 experience counters pretty frequently and consistently in practice.
However, I am trying to get a Gemstone Array because I doubt an infinite combo involving Dutiful Attendant Eternal Witness Victimize Ashnod's Altar Korozda Guildmage Hydra Broodmaster and the aforementioned Gemstone Array . Of course, this is extremely overcomplicated of an infinite but it works wonders for meren.
5 months ago
I was wandering if i have a creature with something like Slagwurm Armor or Siegecraft and use something like Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim's 1st ability, Korozda Guildmage's 2nd ability or Momentous Fall.
Is the toughness considered with the equip/aura?
5 months ago
I've been changing the deck quite a lot to get the budget right so a quick recap of the changes are
Opifex Thanks for all the suggestions! You're coming in with stuff i've never thought of, and that's awesome!
Elder of Laurels seems good, but expensive to use his ability. What would i take out for it?
I've never even heard of Decaying Soil before! That's a clever combo with it too!! I think that if i added that combo i'd need to retool the deck a little more to get the most out of it, like adding the Deathgreeter, Extractor Demon, and Altar of the Brood. I think adding all these cards would weaken the deck overall and i don't run any tutors to find missing combo pieces anyway. I'd have to draw all the pieces naturally, which seems bad imo.
Nether Traitor is an amazing card i wish i had the budget for! i think it fits all the themes i'm going for and has shadow for unblockable beats to boot!
Whisperwood Elemental I just took out. I think it's good, possibly to slow with the amount of tokens it produces but really good in the face of a wrath. I'm still on the fence about this one
Magus of the Abyss is a interesting card. Board control is a good thing and i think i'm warming up to the idea of the card. I just need to find cuts for all these good suggestions i'm getting!!!
carpecanum Thanks for the explaning your card suggestions!
sounds like Curse of the Cabal is the closest thing we now have to Braids, Cabal Minion? I could see politics happening when this card is hanging around in suspend. I'm hoping Wave of Vitriol provides a simliar effect i can more reliabliy cast
5 months ago
- I think its important to keep in mind that you want your creatures to pull double duty. Angel of Invention, for example, makes tokens and buffs your team.
- Iroas, God of Victory: You turn your creatures sideways more than I do. Menace would be pretty good for your commander.
- Brutal Hordechief: Just really dumb in your deck.
- Eternal Witness: Replace Den Protector with this.
- Avenger of Zendikar: Token deck stable.
- Angel of Invention: Makes tokens and an anthem on a stick.
- Dragon Broodmother: Cause this is a dumb card.
- Oracle of Mul Daya: Cause ramping is for cool kids that play .
- Wood Elves: Its wood elves.
- Grave Titan: Its the king of zombies
- Armada Wurm: ETB 5/5 wurms seem good.
- Catacomb Sifter: This is ok as a low-end token generator and scry provider.
- Chancellor of the Forge: triple might be tough to handle. This could be good if you have a good reanimator package. Up to you.
- Cultivator of Blades: Once again, a creature that encourages turn your creatures sideways. I really like this card for your deck cause its ETB token creator or an anthem creature.
- You have Whip already, so why not just continue to abuse your graveyard?
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier: Sac a token to tutor seems dumb. Its even better if you keep reanimating it.
- Viscera Seer: Saccing stuff is cool
- Sadistic Hypnotist: Sac outlet and hand disruption.
- Rakshasa Gravecaller: Makes tokens and can send a creature to the graveyard. This one is ok, I guess.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa: Most ETB token creatures lose their value after they hit the field. Why not sacem to make more tokens.
- Slate of Ancestry: A wheel that depends on the amount of creatures you have seems pretty good. Also, if youre animating, you have no problem send cards to your graveyard.
- Key to the City: Unblockable for Tana, the Bloodsower and discard outlet.
Instants and Sorceries
- Vampiric Tutor or Sidsi if you want to abuse tutors.
- Chord of Calling: Youll have plenty of creatures for convoke.
- Buried Alive: Depends on how deep you go into the reanimator plan.
- Parallel Lives: Bruh..you need this. Use this instead of Primeval Bounty. I was unimpressed with the results of bounty.
- Cathars' Crusade: Cause why not?
- Intangible Virtue: Cause tapping tokens is for losers
- Xenagos, the Reveler: Its like having Gaeas Cradle.
- Dragonmaster Outcast: In EDH, he seems very fair and isnt very good until later. Even then, this deck is capable of much sillier plays.
- Norin the Wary: Nahonly good if hes the commander.
- Korozda Guildmage: Too slow, in my opinion.but what do I know
- Thelonite Hermit: and two turns, you make 4 saproliing tokens with a conditional anthem. Also, not good with Whip or Panharmonicon.
- Obzedat, Ghost Council: Go away, ghost dad. Youre drunk and dont belong here.
- Wolfcaller's Howl: Better ways to make tokens.
- Congregate: You have Whip for lifegain.
- Exsanguinate, Lavalanche, Sram's Expertise, Worm Harvest, and Increasing Devotion: You want to abuse ETB and none of this help that plan.
- Conjurer's Closet: Ive fallen out of love with this card. Its slow and doesnt feel strong at .