|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Destroy target land. Search your library for a Forest card and put that card into play tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Mwonvuli Acid-Moss Discussion
1 day ago
So here you go:
Welcome to Ponza!
A few quick thoughts on your deck:
- First, it looks very solid. Nice work.
- I recommend dropping the 2x Molten Rain for 2x more Mwonvuli Acid-Moss. The ramp on Acid Moss is great, and it synergizes nicely with Tireless Tracker, while Molten Rain is just a less-good version of Stone Rain.
- I'm not sure about the 2x Ghost Quarter in the side. What do you side them in against?
Also, you may have already seen it, but in case not: We now have a comprehensive deckbuilding primer -- Ponza.dec (Deckbuilding Primer) -- compliments of the active Ponza community on Reddit. Please drop by anytime!
2 weeks ago
The first thing I notice is you won't be blowing up any lands until turn 3. Maybe go Jund or Gruul intead? Some mana creatures will allow you to get a faster land destruction plan in place and really lock the opponent down. Additionally, you can use Root Maze so slow down opponents while you establish your own lock. Making them play at a slower pace is what you need. Llanowar Elves Birds of Paradise and Elvish Mystic all help that plan out as well and aren't effected by the maze. Mwonvuli Acid-Moss does some serious work as well. Green will give you access to Chameleon Colossus who is super good in the current meta since he dodges a ton of removal.
If you are stuck on the Rakdos train, Im assuming you want to keep this budget. How budget?
Here are some thoughts:Thermo-Alchemist can be Firebrand Archer instead. Lets you go attacking if you can't cast an instant or sorcery and everything that kills TA also kills FA. You could even go the Young Pyromancer route and go a little wide.
Consider some cheaper discard. Duress will do wonders to protect your creatures from removal. Blightning is awesome, but you don't really care about their hand generally. You just want to create that lock and start beating face. Cheap discard will prevent them from casting the cards that matter or that they can cast because you keep them off lands. LD in modern isn't about destroying all their lands, just enough to allow you to develop the board and win.
Instead of the 4 Terminate, maybe consider Abrade or Fatal Push (if you've got them) since they are cheap to cast and super useful killing the low CC creatures you're likely to be facing if your LD works.
1 month ago
How about it as a beatstick in Ponza? That isn't a much played archetype, but when it's running, basically no one would see it coming...and considering the value that Mwonvuli Acid-Moss can generate, this MIGHT work.
2 months ago
3 months ago
3 removals, like you said, is definitely way too low. Of course, doesn't have a LOT of removal, but you can consider those :
Scour from Existence, Bramblecrush, Desert Twister, Mwonvuli Acid-Moss, Reclaiming Vines. Land destruction is good for those who use Glacial Chasm, which is bad for your strategy. All Is Dust ONLY if you're in a pinch.
To a certain extent, you can go the route of making everything on the board an artifact with Mycosynth Lattice and all the green artifact/enchantment removal becomes effective against anything - even lands.
Also, an elf deck without Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury? BLASPHEMY! (I'm joking.)
Non-elf too good to pass : Eternal Witness.
Notable utility : Mirri's Guile is a free pseudo scry 3, every turn. Abundance if you do not need any other land drop OR if your absolutely need a land, you can choose... AND! If you got Sylvan Library out with it, it transforms it into a free Draw 3 every turn due to its replacement effect!
Hope this helps a bit!
3 months ago
Have you considered Mwonvuli Acid-Moss?
3 months ago
I've been playing Ponza for a while and sorry for the spam if you already know all this. But here are a few thoughts from the other side of the table:
- My Turn 2 is probably the most important turn of the game. Your odds improve dramatically if you can disrupt my T2 Blood Moon/Stone Rain (~65% of the time) or Mwonvuli Acid-Moss/Chandra, Torch of Defiance/Chameleon Colossus (~10% of the time). Techniques incl 'bolt the bird' (i.e., Bolt, Push, or even Terminate vs. my Elf or Bird), your counterspell of choice (especially if followed up with Surgical Extraction), and simply not cracking a Fetch.
- My next big turn is trying to land my 5- or 6-drop.
- If Game 1 looks hopeless, it may be worthwhile to pretend you're on Grixis Death's Shadow for a while before scooping. The advantage there is that if I'm not sure yet what your deck is, I'm going to board for GDS rather than Control. Plus, I will almost always keep a meh hand in Game 2 vs. GDS, because a meh 7 is better than a great 6 or 5 that gets hand-distrupted into a horrible 5 or 4.
- We of course don't have any two-drops in the main, so sorry about those Spell Snares stuck in your hand Game 1. Not actually sorry :-)
- Because I'm expecting Engineered Explosives from your side, I always think about bringing in Ancient Grudge ... but I don't think I ever have, since there just aren't that many targets for it. Plus it's (hopefully) going to be hard for you to get the 3 colors you need to kill Blood Moon or Magus of the Moon.
- Collective Brutality is really good against me. Fulminator Mage is only OK, because I expect it ... though it's great if I stumble and you can keep me off double-red.
- You should expect to see Chameleon Colossus (mine are in the main, but almost all of us have 2x somewhere in the 75).
- Idk if it's any good in other match-ups, but you might consider Damnation in the side. It's a great way to kill our fatties and usually some dorks too. It's especially good after you have to tap out for something, as I will generally dump a fatty at that point (even if I think you may have it, because I generally can't afford to not take advantage of the opportunity). And even if you're not running it, you might consider pretending like you are (e.g., making a comment of some sort when you finally get double-black).
- If you've kept me off Blood Moon, watch out Kessig Wolf Run + any mana dork.
- In Control-heavy metas, expect Thrun, the Last Troll from the side for sure. Also expect to see some folks trying out Carnage Tyrant in the next few weeks. And Choke in a SUPER-heavy Control meta.
Hope this was helpful, and sorry again for the spam if it wasn't!
4 months ago
so. aside from some upgrades like;
I'm looking at a few different options for my LD package;
I'd like to know what you think, perhaps you've some choice cards I've missed