|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Saviors of Kamigawa (SOK)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Instant — Arcane
Destroy target artifact or enchantment if its converted mana cost is less than or equal to the number of cards in your hand.
Draw a card.
Rending Vines Discussion
1 year ago
1 year ago
Hi these are in my opinion some bad card choices for your deck.
- Library of Leng it's just simply a worse option than Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel.
- Ghirapur Orrery you shouldn't use this having green. You can just use Exploration for the additional land drops, its way cheaper to cast and only benefits yourself. You wont use the second ability of the orrery because you will draw a lot of cards from Gitrog (that's why you made it your commander) so you're just helping your oponents. There are also many creatures that allow you to play additional lands.
- Dark Heart of the Wood You can only sacrifice Forests and the 3 lifes doesn't seem to be worth it.
- Rites of Flourishing Once againg helping others more that yourself. You'll already be drawing more cards that your oponents and there are better ways to put lands on the battlefield.
- Overwhelming Stampede awesome card but feels it's on the wrong deck, you dont have many creatures, you won't be drawing it together with Avenger of Zendikar
- Decree of Pain and In Garruk's Wake two super high cost board wipes, you may not be able to cast them when you need a board wipe. There are many low cost budget options Bontu's Last Reckoning, Deadly Tempest, Life's Finale or Deathbringer Regent to name a few. Or you can have one tailored to Gitrog with Kindred Dominance there wont be many Horrors and Frogs on the Battlefield so you can be pretty sure it will destroy everything but Gitrog.
- Artisan's Sorrow A bit expensive for a Naturalize with Scry 2. I kinda like better for the same CMC those that give you a card Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain and Rending Vines (lower CMC, but a bit conditional). The most popular version of naturalize for EDH players is Krosan Grip but there are many options for you to explore.
- Grisly Spectacle a weak card in my opinion, milling your opponent a few cards is futile unless your game is milling them to death but if you are running it I gues it's because you dont have anything better. You have many options in black for removal, my favorite is Silence the Believers
- Ayumi, the Last Visitor If you are running this it's because your meta has a lot of legendary lands, even so it may be better for you to get some flyers, this card won't kill your oponent fast enough.
- Liege of the Tangle high cost slow and pray your oponents don't have a boar wipe in their hands once you turn your lands into creatures after you attack.
- Penumbra Spider I suppose flyers give you a hard time and that is why you run this. It gives you two blocks (as it will most likely die on each block) without really solving your problem. Deadly Recluse will keep more scary flyers away than you can countb (nobody wants to waste a perfectly good dragon on a CMC 2 common spider), Silklash Spider has a decent toughness and can hurricane those pesky flyers, Ishkanah, Grafwidow will put three extra bodies with Reach on the Battlefield or maybe what you need is a Whirlwind.
- Phage the Untouchable lovely card with lots of charisma but you can't give her Haste and Hexproof/Shroud with Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves she may be useless. You only have the Key to the City and Rogue's Passage to get her through the enemy lines. I hope she never gets flicked because you would lose the game.
You can check my own The Gitrog Monster deck Deadly Gitrog that capitalizes on Deathtouch (Gitrog's and many other deathtouchers in the deck) and has a lot of recursion to get some ideas. It works amazingly in my group. Many cards in your deck are also in mine.
1 year ago
Phantom Tiger should be better than Harbinger of Spring because it survives more removals and battles and if you manage to give it +1/+1 (with an equipment or aura card) you make it to a creature that can only be killed with destory or exil effects.Harbinger of Spring just cost to much to cast (damm that soulshift Tax).
6 CMC Creatures are too hard to play without reanimation so you should forgett about Moss Kami
Dripping-Tongue Zubera is a worse Doomed traveler for Spirit Tribal but still replaces itself.
Traproot Kami won't work against that many decks because it is just a wall. It belong more in the Sideboard than the main Deck. It dodges a lot of Lightning Bolt and similar stuff (but only in late game) and might block Delver of Secrets Flip butit's still quite slow.
Your sideboard missing interactions with artifacts and enchantments, Wear Away could work if you want to play on the Splice Ability a bit and Rending Vines could also remove a lot of cards (especially with the low curve of pauper) and it draws a card.
Uproot is quite expensive to take your opponent one turn back regarding lands. You mostly sacrifice your own turn to use it and many blue decks jsut respond with Gush to refill their hand. it might work against Bogle decks that enchant their land (Utopia Sprawl/Abundant Growth to ramp or fix mana (play about 18 lands) but they won't make the mistake of enchanting the same land with all enchantment more than once unless they draw nothing but one land. Still that would be a one trick pony that mostly comes to late into play.
As far as I can tell you rather want to interact during combat and battle tricks, which makes Kodama's Might (because of Splice) quite appealing just like Roar of Jukai which is easy to splice and is able to interact with Shinen of Life's Roar
But I have to say you've choosen a theme which is pretty hard to build in pauper (competetive).
1 year ago
Maybe you should consider adding Overgrown Battlement or Traproot Kami in place of Wall of Roots. I would definitely take Cenn's Enlistment out and replace it with another Commune with Nature and whichever defender you decide on. I would also recommend getting rid of Selesnya Sanctuary and replacing it with more basic lands of each kind simply for the sake of speed. Scatter the Seeds is nice, but it has a high mana cost. I would replace it with Oblivion Ring or Sigil Blessing.
You might also want to look into:Night Soil, Sprout, Sprout Swarm, Vitality Charm, Rending Vines, Explore, Elvish Visionary, Dissenter's Deliverance, Triplicate Spirits, Silverchase Fox, Revoke Existence
1 year ago
you should make room for some of the following
- Kodama's Reach
- He Who Hungers
- Angel of Flight Alabaster
- Kyoki, Sanity's Eclipse
- Kokusho, the Evening Star (going to be cheaper as of iconic masters)
- Keiga, the Tide Star
- Yosei, the Morning Star
- Death Denied
- Terashi's Grasp
- Spectral Shepherd
- Soulless Revival
- AEther Shockwave
- Kindred Discovery
- Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar
- Kataki, War's Wage
- Temple of the False God
- Rending Vines
- Ghostly Prison (hey in a way flavor)
- Reliquary Tower
- Lightning Greaves
- The Unspeakable (enough arcanes and this guy will come in handy)
- Anguished Unmaking
- Jugan, the Rising Star (just if you decide to add all 5 spirt dragons..erm 6)
- Swords to Plowshares
- Fist of Suns
- Cyclonic Rift
- Herald’s Horn (this is now know as a budget urza's incubator)
- Spell Queller (spectral Shepard and this combo together for countering spells permanently)
just some suggestions
2 years ago
Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper might not be a treefolk, but they help.
Verdeloth the Ancient is a lord who can also vomit a lot of tokens down.
Abzan Beastmaster is some draw power.
Gift of the Deity, Burgeoning, Cankerous Thirst, Rending Vines, Life/Death, Worldslayer all seem a bit lakcluster. I get what you are going for with World but it isn't that amazing. Swiftfoot Boots seem great for this very voltronny deck.
2 years ago
Keen Sense is cheaper than Snake Umbra. Mask of Memory would stick around longer than either (should a dude die) and you can use something like Creeping Renaissance to get all the discarded cards back (if that's a concern).
Elder Pine of Jukai could be interesting if you had more spirits or arcane spells (looks like you have 3 total so probably not a great fit). There could be some other spirits or arcane spells worth swapping in...a couple that seem kinda cool or would otherwise fit your theme: Arashi, the Sky Asunder, Carven Caryatid, Eidolon of Blossoms, Forked-Branch Garami, Haru-Onna, Iname, Life Aspect, Nourishing Shoal, Permeating Mass, Primordial Sage, Rending Vines, Strength of Cedars, Wear Away. Not trying to change up the vibe, just saying...
Other straight up draw cards to consider: Abundant Growth, Elemental Bond, Fecundity, Fa'adiyah Seer, Fruit of the First Tree, Garruk's Packleader, Glimpse of Nature, Hunter's Insight, Hunter's Prowess, Kavu Lair, Krosan Tusker (just to cycle it), Life's Legacy, Nature's Resurgence, Nissa's Revelation, Ohran Viper, Sylvan Library, Zendikar Resurgent.
Viridian Revel could be interesting given you seem to like artifact hate. And then there are all the Enchantresses, if you want to start loading up on enchantments, e.g. Verduran Enchantress. I think there are 4-5 available, which could become some serious card draw off simple cantrips like Abundant Growth.
This looks like a fun deck...might try my hand at a build if I have enough of the cards ;-)
No data for this card yet.