|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature.
You gain life equal to the sacrificed creature's toughness. Destroy target creature an opponent controls.
Severed Strands Discussion
5 months ago
So here is my update Gidgetimer. I am adding Drogskol Reaver , and dropping Severed Strands . The cards like Revival / Revenge is mostly for ending the game, and Blood Tribute . Generally my group isnt like, u could say luke super competetive. I like to say we are newbies. I am prob keeping Counterlash . I might change it out later. I thought it might be interesting. Seal Away I also going out. So here is the final.
I don't know about Swords to Plowshares . I am going to make big changes over time. Thx for commenting.
5 months ago
Just noticed you already added Dawn of Hope still 11 cuts because I also forgot to add it to the number.
- Book of Rass - direct swap out for Greed since the latter is a better card.
- Gideon's Reproach - direct swap out for Swords to Plowshares since the latter is a better card.
- Counterlash - One of the four 1-for-1 spells you have that I like the least and I am suggesting 4 cuts to bring you down to 7 because that is what I run in mine and find it to be a good number. Specifically, a lot of mana for a counter and a chance at a free card.
- Disperse - One of the four 1-for-1 spells you have that I like the least and I am suggesting 4 cuts to bring you down to 7 because that is what I run in mine and find it to be a good number. Specifically, not even really permanent removal.
- Wing Shards - One of the four 1-for-1 spells you have that I like the least and I am suggesting 4 cuts to bring you down to 7 because that is what I run in mine and find it to be a good number. Specifically, not all important creatures have to attack.
- Seal Away - One of the four 1-for-1 spells you have that I like the least and I am suggesting 4 cuts to bring you down to 7 because that is what I run in mine and find it to be a good number. Specifically, tapped clause is not great.
- Nevinyrral's Disk - without Darksteel Forge and Mycosynth Lattice it just slows the game down. This may offer you a better chance to win, or you may like long games for the sake of long games. I dislike long games enough that I would cut it.
- Severed Strands - you have 13 creatures and can't afford to sacrifice them, especially at sorcery speed, if we are winning via combat.
- Blood Tribute - halving a single player's life total is either going to make you an enemy or not do much depending on how late it is in the game. Making enemies isn't something you want to do in pillow fort decks since most people could pay the taxes, just why bother when they can attack someone else and not pay unless they have a reason to focus you down.
- Revival / Revenge - Not a fan of low CMC only reanimate, see above for the rationale on the other half.
- Revitalize - I don't like cards that just gain life, cantriping is not enough to get me to like it.
6 months ago
Vicious Offering is an instant, though, while Severed Strands is a sorcery. You can also choose not to sacrifice a creature with Vicious Offering , and the lifegain from Severed Strands may not be relevant with Slimefoot, the Stowaway .
Overall, I think these factors give Vicious Offering a clear edge, although I would consider boarding it out against +1/+1 counters.
7 months ago
More recent cards: Priest of Forgotten Gods , Severed Strands , Rubinia Soulsinger , Niambi, Faithful Healer , Everdawn Champion , Pia Nalaar , Sly Requisitioner , Bloodbond Vampire , Windrider Patrol
7 months ago
A quick rundown of the first changes I'd try to implement.
- Start / Finish
- Ministrant of Obligation
- Doomed Traveler
- Not Forgotten
- Lingering Souls
- Diabolic Intent
- Altar's Reap , Bankrupt in Blood , Blood Divination , Costly Plunder
- Severed Strands , Bone Splinters
- Torgaar, Famine Incarnate , Demon of Catastrophes
- Knight of the White Orchid
- Spectral Reserves
- Vessel of Malignity
- Vessel of Ephemera
- Debtors' Knell
- Ethereal Absolution
- Always Watching
- Mindwrack Demon
- I'd go down to singles of all the legendary creatures, if you add Diabolic Intent or Diabolic Tutor
You'll want some way to deal with artifacts and enchantments, possibly Seal of Cleansing in the sideboard.
Also you don't have exile-versions of removal, but white and black are good for it, if you wanted to give up some of the "sacrifice for insane value" plan. Utter End and its variants.
8 months ago
This, quite frankly, doesn't look like an aggro list to me at all. You're running a grand total of 14 creatures. I realize that you want to turn on spectacle and Theater of Horrors , but you're leaning too much into pure burn. While cards like Squee and Severed Strands are appropriate in Aristocrats-style decks, I dont think they are of significant power level to be worth running. Sword-Point Diplomacy is just bad, even as a punisher card for burn.
The bottom line is, if you want the deck to be more effective, give it more focus.
8 months ago
As far as what to remove from the existing build, I am wondering if it may be time to pull some of the goblins, probably the Goblin Instigator . Two mana gets you two creatures. If you swapped in Reassembling Skeleton , you could get one creature for two mana that, unless you opponent has some way to exile, stays around forever. I have played games on Arena where I've sacked the same skeleton three times in the same turn to get my harpy big enough to take out an angel or other big flier.
Finally, I hate to say it but it might be time to lose Angrath. When I have played him, I usually have had to use the -3 ability as soon as he was cast. Otherwise, he is gone before my next turn comes or is dinked so consistently that I can never build enough loyalty counterd to blow off the the final -8 ability. People really don't like the +1 so they tend to throw things at him until he is eliminated (which, I guess, could be a good thing). You could replace him maybe with Judith and/or the Haunt.
10 months ago
I really like your deck concept and look forward to trying something like it.
I have a few questions/comments:
Have you considered throwing in Pitiless Plunderer? It gives more bang for your buck because you get free mana in addition to any other benefit from the sacrifice. It is a four drop, but could help fuel bigger drops later or give more power for the Captivating Crew. If paired with Makeshift Munitions, it can help take out weenies, giving you an extra kill by spending one mana and burning a token. The Plunderer is also, in a pinch, a decent 1/4 blocker/speedbump for a big stompy.
Thallid Soothsayer? Another four drop but can provide some card advantage later in the game.
Helm of the Host Steal something Really Cool, use the helm to make yourself a permanent copy, then sac the original. That frees up the Helm for the next turn. Or use it to copy whatever you want a Xerox of on your own side. If I remember correctly, because the token copy isn't cast, there is no need to sac a creature to copy your Demon. You got an assembly line pumping out a free badass every turn.
What about Severed Strands in the sideboard? Depending on your opponent, it could better Vraska's Contempt, especially if they aren't playing planeswalkers. Strands is half the mana cost, the "penalty" is actually a benefit cause the other guy's critter gets the sac, it can give a much larger life boost and best of all it doesn't require a bank loan to buy a set of 'em. Unfortunately, it's a sorcery so can't be used reactively.
Finally, what kind of creature ratios are you seeing between you and a your opponent? Depending on the balance, Fraying Omnipotence could be really useful. You steal a large chunk of his/her army, cast the spell, and then sac the ones you stole while they halve whatever they had left. Plus, if you have a Plunderer or two, you may have enough mana to steal any creatures they have left with a Captivating Crew and then can stage a mass unblocked attack.
Anyway...I really like the possibilities your concept provides. It's too bad red/black doesn't have a lot of ways to "borrow" your opponents's forces, but it certainly has a lot of interesting ways for you to kill 'em all once they ARE yours. (cue sadistic laughter)
No data for this card yet.