|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance: Guild Kits (GK2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Savage Twister deals X damage to each creature.
Savage Twister Discussion
3 weeks ago
Stomping Ground , Beast Whisperer , Essence Warden , Marwyn, the Nurturer , Mina and Denn, Wildborn , Banefire , Finale of Devastation , Rolling Thunder , Animist's Awakening , Savage Twister ?, Volcanic Geyser , Crater's Claws , Molten Disaster , Blaze , Burn from Within , Collective Voyage , Devil's Play , Zhur-Taa Druid , Fire-Lit Thicket , Ring of Three Wishes , Diviner's Wand , Planar Portal , Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury , Garruk, Caller of Beasts , Insurrection
4 weeks ago
1 month ago
Hey, nice version of Atla.
Mirror Entity is busted with Atla; it's a Dino and an Egg. Regal Behemoth is a very good Dino/mana doubler. It's Lizard creature type was errata to Dinosaur. In multiplayer Commander Runic Armasaur can be a repeatable source of draw.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Thunderherd Migration : Lore, Farseek, Cultivate and even Growth are better.
- Commune with Dinosaurs : can only get one card of possible 57 of 100 cards. Because it's a one drop and can find a land that makes it playable, but consistently it only get a land.
- Savage Twister
- Ghired's Belligerence
- Shake the Foundations
Are you using Heartstone in a combo that I don't see? I ask because it only works with two creatures (Atla and Zacama) in the entire deck. You have many repeatable sources to trigger enrage that these one time effect spells are not needed.
Upgrades within the budget to consider:
- Windswept Heath or Naya Panorama > Myriad Landscape
- City of Brass or Exotic Orchard > Krosan Verge
- Ash Barrens > Evolving Wilds
- Rhythm of the Wild > Fires of Yavimaya
- Smothering Tithe > Huatli, Radiant Champion
- Eternal Witness > Road of Return
- Samut, Voice of Dissent > Burning Sun's Avatar
- Chaos Warp > Pounce
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
I think these could be some good cuts
Wakening Sun's Avatar because it's crazy expensive and I think you would do better with a damage board wipe. Plus it won't trigger if you cast it with your general. Arcbond , Hour of Devastation , and Savage Twister were some that I found that could fit well in this deck.
Raging Regisaur because it looked pretty weak compared to some of your other dinos. I feel like if I was playing this deck and I drew this or had the option to cast it from the deck it would be lackluster, might even prefer to draw a land.
Dinosaur Stampede because you've already got scary Dino's and it looks like you could really use more land.
And I would also pull Ashnod's Altar and Goblin Bombardment because I wouldn't really want to sacrifice any dino's. I would take both out and add in land, or maybe some other artifact ramp, idk what though.
That would put your land count at 37 which is a waaaay better draw rate for lands. All that being said this deck looks cool as shit. I like the cards you have in here for untapping your general to reuse his ability +1.
2 months ago
Hi, I hope that at least some of what i'm going to put here will be useful, and even if you don't use any of my advice then maybe you will be able to see where I am coming from and use the logic to find your own improvements :)
As the previous commenter has suggested the amount of ramp spells that put lands in to play in your deck is a bit to low for a ramp deck especially one that has subthemes of landfall. Typical commander deck building suggestions say that you should have 10 pieces of ramp to tide you into the midgame. This goes for any deck, not just ramp decks. In ramp decks you will want more. At my count you have 12 ramp cards that are reusable (ie, aren't the one shot sacrifice elemntals) this will want to be more really, with a focus on them being ones that put lands in to play. Another of note, is that cards like Zendikar Resurgent don't really count as a ramp slot, as by the time we can cast it, we have a lot of mana already. 'Ramp' cards are ones that you want to see in your opening hand to get you into your game plan faster.
For this reason I would look into replacing some of the creature based ramp and some other low impact cards with this ramp that will get us executing our main game plan faster and better.
These can all be easily replaced with land based ramp spells as they don't get you any further ahead on mana than 1 land, or are one shot abilities when we want to be dropping big things multiple times over multiple turns.
Smokebraider Is unique because it produces 2 mana for only 2 investment, but only if we focus in on elemtals so can be left on a short list to be evaluated. We'll list other potential cuts later when looking at more over all deck evaluation.
The previous commentor has provided a list which at first glance seems to be comprehensive enough to provide some ideas for what to add.
More conventional commander wisdom suggests that you have at least 5 ways to directly interact with your opponents game plan. I personally nearly always play more than this, but you should have at least 5. This direct interaction is preferred to be the targetted simgle response cards that can remove threats in any shape or form. Of note, this removal count is seperate from the count of mass removal. At my count you have Song of the Dryads , the down tick of Domri, Anarch of Bolas and Ingot Chewer as easily accessable removal. Things like the trigger from your commander or things like Magmatic Force are more incedental as you can't rely on them doing what you want when you need it.
Cards that could be added in this slot are many. But it is a good idea to have as many as you can being generic answers to anything, but also you need to make sure that they are ones you can realistically weave into your game plan instead of leaving up those answers at all times. This is mostly a balncing act that is where fine tuning comes in from playing the deck. But potential recommendations for all purpose would be Beast Within and Chaos Warp . After that they become more specific but can be cheaper in mana,
- Nature's Claim
- Domri's Ambush
- Force of Vigor
- Krosan Grip
- Hull Breach
- Broken Bond
- Reclamation Sage
This may seem counterintuitive, seen as you are planning on being the big creature deck that wants the board presence. But sometimes the opponents boards just need answering (Not to mention that you might end up getting a lot of elemental death triggers from Omnath). As such having 2 or 3 creature wraths might be worth trying. And having 2 or 3 artifact and enchantment wraths will be good to have access to aswell. Something you already have so I assume you already know.
Creature wraths to consider in green red include
- Blasphemous Act
- Chandra's Ignition
- Chain Reaction
- Savage Twister - This one is representative of X cost ones that are interesting to try as it gives you the oppertunity of clearing out small creatures while keeping yours alive if you would prefer. Another one that can also be used to finish of players is Rolling Earthquake
You already have the cards for mass removing artifacts and enchantments so I won't bother listing any more.
One of the most common recommendations I have to make to people about their deck is to up the amount of card draw or selection in their decks. There is no point in having sweet cards and synergies in here if we never get to see them! Normally I recommend having 10 ways of drawing cards in your deck, with some of them being repeating and some being one shot. At my count you currently have 7 (Or 8 if you count Praetor's Counsel which can do effectively a similar job), so you are nearly there but I would recommend adding a couple mr just to smooth out the deck running.
- Harmonize is the most obvious recommendation withit being notorious for its colour pie break with not haveing a restriction based on creatures or similar.
- Horn of Greed is universal, but we should be getting more value from it.
- Greater Good is amazing if you keep having big creatures to sacrifice. Thankfully due to our commander triggers, we do!
- Chandra, Flamecaller can cover multiple bases of what we need, it can be counted as both a wrath AND a card draw engine :) IT also even makes elementals (of note, they get exiled at end step instead of dieing so you won't normally get Omnath triggers. Sacrificing them to Greater Good though....... )
- Rishkar's Expertise can be great card draw as you don't need to take a full turn off to refuel, you still get to cast something that costs less, which could be that removal spell or something you needed!
These overview sections are recommendations for generic cards that could go in. From here on, we will be looking at more specific card options, and possible cuts from the existing deck
Now, again as the previous commentor mentioned, there are multiple ways you can take an Omnath deck. My take on them being
- RG Big thing Ramp. No specific synergies in mind except for incidental ones like, I need land to cast my big spells, and this card cards about land. Not a bad deck by any means, just less commander or theme focused.
- Elemental Tribal Ramp. This seems to be closer to what you are currently going for. Similar to the RG ramp deck, just with tribal synergies from elementals
- Landfall / Lands Matter. Here we are focusing on many landfall triggers, and keep cycling our lands round and round to get them. This deck will likke having access to things like Crucible of Worlds and many effects like Exploration
Here, i will suggest some cards for each of them and maybe later on if you want we could look more into one or a mix of these strategies.
- Ruric Thar, the Unbowed This card is very very powerful. Expecially as the decks around you get more and more powerful and wanting to do more combo and storm bsaed strategies.
- Gruul Ragebeast A good way of keeping the board under control when you play your 'large and incharge' creatures
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger We have mana, they don't. Enough said really. Just beware that with this creature, sometines the adage If you can't remove the problem, remove the player can be applied to just killing you.
Other than ones recommended here, perhaps a good idea would be to use Gatherer or mtg.wtf to find elementals in your colour. Or cards which reference elementals in your colours, the example in wtf would be this
- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame can rebuy your ramp spells and can make elementals that will die to trigger Omnath.
- Chandra, Awakened Inferno A wrath that doesn't kill elementals and can provide a reasonable clock on the game with her uptick.
- Omnath, Locus of Mana Store mana for a rainy day. Or for hitting your opponents upside the head with it. Both work.
- Parallel Lives Double the tokens, double the elementals, double the damage. We like.
- Tornado Elemental clears out any things like Dragons, or Flying Slivers or similar. Also good at picking of planeswalkers as it has sudo unblockable.
- Liege of the Tangle we can go REALLY all in on making all our lands elementals and meaning that if someone wraths us we can basically kill everyone from Omnath triggers
- Budoka Gardener Ramp early game, big guys late game.
This deck idea might have elements that are closer to a combo deck than the others, but will still mostly be a midrange deck.
- Perilous Forays With your commander out this card is bonkers. But if we are making other elemental tokens too then we can truly get going somewhere
- Crucible of Worlds , Ramunap Excavator , Life from the Loam Allow you to play the lands from your graveyard after we have sacrificed them for effects. Also makes always hitting your lands drops easier if you are playing and sacrificing a fetch land
- Exploration , Azusa, Lost but Seeking , Oracle of Mul Daya all ways to play more lands per turn
- Cavalier of Flame can be card draw and synergizes with lands in graveyard. As well as being an elemental!
- Scapeshift lots of triggers all at once
- Splendid Reclamation if we are sacrificing lands then this gets them all back. Very good after a scapeshift
- Amulet of Vigor makes some of our ramp a lot more effective, while at the same time providing a good combo with Perilous Forays and Omnath, Locus of Rage Of recommendation if you run a lot of land recursion effects then other lands that sacrifice themselves might be worth it. Like Wasteland Strip Mine etc
I won't re-list the cuts recommeneded in the ramp section. I will be evaluating cuts in the assumption that the deck is wanting to be a combination of an elementals ramp deck and a lands value deck. A lot of these recomendations for cuts will have very similar reasonings, which I will elaborate on first to be able to be brief later on. These recommendations will possibly sound rather brutal, however I find that it makes it a lot easier to have too many cards that are on the cutting block rather than not enough.
- Too Slow. If the card takes too many turns to start pulling its weight then it could be replaced with something that does what we need sooner. This is common in cards which have 'at the beginning of your upkeep' effects as they will normally have to wait an entire turn cycle to start doing something. Enters the battlefield triggers or similar things that have an effect the turn you play them are often preferred.
- Too expensive. This should be self explanatory. If the card costs too much mana, especially if the same effect can be achieved for less mana then it should be exmined.
- Doesn't do enough. While the effect might be interesting and maybe something we actually want in the deck, The card just doesn't pull its weight in whatever role it is supposed to be doing
- Doesn't contribute to our game plan This might be a good card, maybe even a great card in other decks. But perhaps the effect just isn't one we need in this deck
- Cytoplast Root-Kin Too slow. Doesn't contribute to our game plan.
- Dragonmaster Outcast Too slow. Doesn't do enough
- Grazing Gladehart Doesn't do enough. While we like landfall triggers. The life gain is small enough to be negligable unless we are massrecycling all lands from our yard multiple times.
- Magmatic Force Too Slow.
- Magmaw Doens't contribute to our game plan / Doesn't Do enough. We can run other sac outlets if we want ways to sacrifice our elementals
- Scute Mob Possibly too slow. But I love me a scute mob so I'm fine with this staying in :D
- Spawnwrithe Doesn't do enough. However this one can stay in if you have found that you realistically get to connect with it at least twice to have four of them
- Tendershoot Dryad Doesn't contribute to our game plan. Though it is very good at gummin gup the board
- Tyrant of Discord Doesn't do enough. However if you change to having some ways to knock your opponents off of lands then the chances of this hitting multiple nonlands go up and its value does too. However there are enough control players where the onlything this will do is destroy a land at random
- Undergrowth Champion Deosn't do enough. It's got all the right keywords but thats about it
- Retreat to Kazandu Doesn't do enough. THe landfall idea is good, but putting 1 counter an a guy once or so a turn isn't worth the slot really
- Sword of the Animist Too Slow. We want this effect, but we aren't attacking multiple times in one turn so there are better effects to get lands from our deck. We don't neccessarily even have than many small creatures to equip this too to get it active early enough for the ramp to be that useful as ramp
- Animist's Awakening As much as i want this spell to ever be good. It's just not really at all.
- Journey of Discovery Too slow. For this to be actual search out ramp you need to entwine it which is then 6 mana. Any of the 4 mana double basics would be better here. Or just Explore type effects that cantrip too.
Turns out there is only slightly too much Nissa. (And not enough Chandra ;) ) All of the Nissas' contribute to our gameplan well except for Nissa, Voice of Zendikar . The general rule of Planeswalkers in commander is to assume that you will only get two activations if you are lucky. So with this one you will at best buff your team a little. Consider Garruk Wildspeaker instead maybe?
Other random Card Recommendations
- Boundless Realms All the rest of our lands from our deck? Yes please
- Sylvan Awakening We do this, then we overrun and nobody will be expecting it
- Genesis Wave As previously mentioned. It's the better Animist's Awakening
- The Mending of Dominaria More mass land recursion.
Well I hope some of this helped at least a little :)
2 months ago
ZendikariWol thank you for replying to me so I remembered this thread. And yes the date went well :) Sorry for the delay in responding; I've been bogged down in work, dating, and taking care of my disabled mother.
Anywho! On to the story!
SETUP: I was playing Lord Windgrace . I was playing against Aristocrats via Edgar Markov , a stompy deck and something else. I'm not really sure on the specifics; This was now nearly two months ago. Markov was the clear oppressor on the field; What the player would do is cast cheap Vampires to get the free tokens, then sacrifice the non-token Vampires for benefits and use recursion to bring them back into his hand to cast again for more tokens. Boons / Anthems made his ever-growing boardstate very difficult to manage. Felt more like Archenemy, really.
This was a very long game. We got to around T9 and I decided to reset the game by casting Deathbringer Regent , but Markov quickly rebuilt easily.
On my next turn, I decided I had enough of this and went for the kill.
I assumed between the three Elementals and my Regent, nobody would really pick a fight with me. The Markov player did attempt to attack Windgrace directly with a single Vampire Nighthawk who had been buffed a little, so I traded with Regent because I wanted Windgrace to survive. I cracked off Terramorphic Expanse on his end step, got a basic and a third Elemental.
- Cast Khalni Heart Expedition
- Play Blighted Woodland
- +1 Elemental (4x total)
- , sac Blighted Woodland , tutor 2x basic lands
- +2 more Elementals (6x total)
- Crack Khalni Heart Expedition , tutor 2x more basic lands
- +2 more Elementals (8x total)
- Return Blighted Woodland and Terramorphic Expanse
- Crack Expanse for another basic
- +1 more Elemental (9x total)
- , sac Woodland, +2 more basic lands
- +2 more Elementals (9x total)
(This was 17 mana on I believe T12, maybe T13 thanks to some extremely efficient land drop spells. I don't actually run stones in the deck - I have more lands or land tutors slotted in their spots because I focus around the Landfall mechanic.)
I had just enough mana left over to cast a Savage Twister with X=5. Wiped 98% of the board, but more importantly I killed all 10 of my Elementals (9x tokens + Omnath, Locus of Rage ) for a staggering 30 damage, killing Markov's player and winning the game.
TL;DR - Won via boardwiping myself
7 months ago
Looks good! I think Savage Twister could be a Starstorm for that instant speed and cycling. And a Solemn Simulacrum would give you ramp, card draw, and it would count as two card types for Traverse the Ulvenwald .
If you wanna play even more lands a turn, Storm Cauldron gets you more landfall triggers, slows down your opponents, and it's hilarious with a Borborygmos Enraged to end a game. Borbor also goes infinite with a Dakmor Salvage , The Gitrog Monster and a library shuffler like Kozilek, Butcher of Truth or Gaea's Blessing .
9 months ago
Also, sorry to post so much, and I should have collected my thoughts first, having thought about building a werewolf deck before. I would also put in some higher impact interaction than Destructive Revelry and Savage Twister . The former is great in 60-card formats for its efficiency, but you really want to be running something like Bane of Progress , especially with Ruric. Krosan Grip is also better, since the 2 life rarely matters, and Vandalblast and Blasphemous Act are both staples of the format. A lot of people also like Decimate and Hull Breach in GR. Finally, you'll want some card draw. Vanquisher's Banner , Herald's Horn , and Path of Ancestry are all good, but generic stuff like Beast Whisperer , Harmonize , Zendikar Resurgent , Rishkar's Expertise , Soul of the Harvest , Lifecrafter's Bestiary , Shamanic Revelation , Elemental Bond , Greater Good , Regal Force , Primordial Sage , Momentous Fall , Life's Legacy , and Soul's Majesty will all help.
Savage Twister occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%