Whenever a creature with flying attacks, it loses flying until end of turn.
Printings View all
|Rise of the Eldrazi (ROE)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Gravity Well occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Gravity Well Discussion
5 months ago
Well of Lost Dreams would be a pretty powerful inclusion in combination with your commander for the recurring card draw. Fecundity could also help with getting more draws, and getting your creatures to die isn't so complicated with a competent opponent and sending out a wolf to fight with Tolsimir. Plus, it could combo into another card suggestion, Feed the Pack , which lets you convert some of the more disposable non-token creatures into a bunch of wolf tokens. Vigor helps a ton for Tolsimir's theme of fighting stuff.
Also, I think you could do with a couple more wolves, given how well the commander synergizes with them. Master of the Wild Hunt not only summons them, but also gives you the opportunity to get another fight trigger just in case you might need it. I would additionally replace Arlinn's Wolf or something similar with Ferocious Pup due to it having token synergies.
Since you're worried about flying creatures, consider swapping something out for Gravity Well , as it more or less gets rid of the mechanic entirely. I would personally swap out Spidersilk Net for it, seeing as you won't really need it. You might also want to get rid of all those destroy flying creature spells, seeing as all you really need is for your commander to be out for you to suddenly transform a hand of wolves into a hand of removal.
Not really sure why you included the two Werewolves in this deck. They don't synergize with anything aside for Nightpack Ambusher and they're very lackluster, especially since you have to rely on your opponents not casting anything for them to be worthwhile. I much prefer the idea of having an elf subtheme instead, especially since it gives you access to an elf to champion for Wren's Run Packmaster , one of the more powerful cards you can have in a Tolsimir deck. Sure you could champion Tolsimir himself, but if you can have both of them out at the same time, you get to essentially remove any creature you want (provided it's not indestructible) whenever a wolf comes out, which will be all the time due to Packmaster's ability. Some other good elves would be Primal Forcemage to help out your wolves with fighting when they enter the battlefield, Wood Elves to replace one of your ramp spells like Rampant Growth , Reclamation Sage to replace Naturalize , and Rhys the Redeemed for even more token generation.
And, like ZendikariWol suggested, some changelings like Metallic Mimic could easily fit in the deck and provide support for the wolf tribal. But, they also double as elves, and as such can provide the best of both worlds if you decide to incorporate an elf subtheme. An example I quite like of a Tolsimir wolf/elf deck that incorporates changelings would be Wolfgain Amadeus, for reference.
6 months ago
Hey, thanks a lot for your suggestions! There might be couple I'd like to use. As for the others, I've listed my thoughts below:
- I am already using Parallel Lives , and I'm not sure my deck relies enough on tokens to justify running both that and Anointed Procession , especially since it doesn't work with Tolsimir (aside from giving me the extra 3 life). If I feel I need to extra token generation, I might consider throwing in a procession.
- Bower Passage , I don't really like. I dislike cards that straight up turn my creatures unblockable for the right opponent (and may do nothing for others). Dense Canopy I like more, since it affects the whole table, and might therefor work better as a diplomatic tool. Same goes for Gravity Well . The problem remains though that they're dead cards if I'm playing against someone without flyers out. For a first draft I'd rather rely on the removal granted by the fighting ability and see if I still have enough trouble with flyers to justify one of them.
- Coat of Arms I don't like much as a card, and it goes against the theme. The last goes for Generous Gift as well, I think Beast Within fits the theme much better.
- I might add Skyshroud Claim if I feel I need more ramp. Nature's Lore I just just don't like in EDH. It has too little impact to be worth a card slot for me.
- I had been looking at my lack of recursion, and considering something like Praetor's Counsel to address it, but I felt it went too much against the theme. Seasons Past is a much better alternative. I'll consider adding it.
- Lastly, I'm going to straight up disagree with you that Aura Shards is in any way better than Sylvan Reclamation . Not only does it exile the targets (which helps against indestructible targets like Gods or Darksteel Forge , against which Aura shards is useless), but it's instant speed whereas I need to pre-emptively cast Aura Shards to be able to respond to artifacts or enchantments coming out, giving my opponents a chance to deal with it before they play their big targets (or get a free turn with them if I hold the Shards back). On top of that, I can basic landcycle the reclamation if I ever find myself in dire need of land. I had considered Aura Shards instead of Nullmage Shepherd , as they are much more comparable, but ended up opting for the shepherd since it allows me to more easily destroy targets on instant speed (since I just need untapped creatures rather than a way to pump out creatures on instant speed to trigger it).
I couldn't help but notice you had a list of your own. I'll take a look at it later and let you know my thoughts on that.
6 months ago
7 months ago
10 months ago
Gravity Well stops flying, if it's more efficient to deal with fliers by removing it.
1 year ago
I recently created the following deck: Mushroom Flood
It's for casual purposes and plays quite nicely in this context. Still I'm looking for ideas to improve. [The deck does not contain Doubling Season, Parallel Lives or Primal Vigor for budget reasons.]
Some problems I noticed were: 1) It is a bit like a house of cards. E.g. if I play a Gigantosaurus turn 3, Fungal Sprouting on turn 4 and Mycolothturn 5, I can easily get a lot of tokens fast. The problem, though is, that if anything gets taken out of the chain of action, it can get pretty bad pretty quickly. 2) Mana flood can easily happen, especially when having Caged Sun and/or Harvest Season but not Triumph of Ferocity.
There's a few cards that I will maybe take out: Shapers' Sanctuary, Jade Mage, Gravity Well and one Harvest Season. I definitely want to add a second Leyline of Vitality and a third Beastmaster Ascension. Also I'm thinking about replacing one Mycoloth with a Gigantosaurus. I also thought about adding Throne of the God-Pharaoh.
I would be really interested in what other people have to say to these thoughts but I'm also open to other suggestions. Please keep in mind, though, that this deck is for casual and that I don't wanna add really expensive stuff.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Have you thought of adding Gravity Well. You don't have a lot of defense from flying and its a great 3 drop to take flying away from the game for a while. Its my go to anti flying card. However in my play group there are lot of flying creatures played. But that may not be the case in your play group.