Whenever a creature with flying attacks, it loses flying until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Gravity Well Discussion
5 days ago
So, for starters, I'd definitely take out Akroma's Memorial and either sell that bad boy or put it in literally any creature-focued EDH deck that you have, because all the keywords in the world will still only make your Stuffy Doll a 1/1. I'd also take out Assault Formation, since it only affects 4 of your creatures (and even then, it's negligible gain). Also, I'd nix Crawlspace since it defeats the purpose of Nightly Hunting. Gravity Well is redundant if you draw more than 1, so I'd just keep 2 copies.
To put in: Lust for War, Contaminated Bond, Contaminated Ground, Nettling Curse, Sinister Possession, Visions of Brutality, Goblin Diplomats. I'd put in Jaddi Offshoot or any Black creature with lifelink (Gifted Aetherborn? Vampire Cutthroat?) if you're concerned about Burn. I know your deck doesn't include B, but having those Auras will help you accelerate victory (honestly, you almost could take out all of the G cards in this deck).
Hope this helps! Mention me if I can clarify or otherwise be helpful.
3 weeks ago
WargRave: Thank you very much for the detailed comment! You're right on most points, and this deck really does need some more tuning. My "proper" Hapatra deck is working beautifully, but it loses some important cards when transitioning to a budget like this...
My thought was that since I lose some powerful -1 counter cards when working under a low budget, I should include more cards to let Hapatra herself swing through for combat damage. You lay out a few better options, though, and I'll incorporate them, thanks!
Notes on specific cards:
I really do like Beast Within in every green deck, budget or not. There just isn't better green removal :)
I actually forgot Setessan Tactics existed. I should fix that.
Gravity Well is surprisingly good here, because dealing with fliers is the one big downside of having deathtouching token blockers on the ground. It takes the place of Eldrazi Monument in my "real" version of the deck. And while I think the spiders are a bit off-theme (and don't synergize with -1 counters), Tower Defense is a really good idea!
I like Liliana's Influence, despite its mana cost: there aren't many mass -1 counter sources in this kind of budget, and it's usually 10 snakes for 6 mana.
Your land suggestions are definitely solid.
Thanks again for the comment!
3 weeks ago
A decent $25 deck is a great accomplishment! Moreover, a lot of the stuff in here looks genuinely strong, and not jank at all.
Reclamation Sage is a bit cheaper than Beast Within and you may be able to count on your -1/-1 counters to take out troublesome creatures, and your snakes to combat planeswalkers. Unravel the Aether and Deglamer maintain instant speed and budget while dealing with indestructibles like the Theros gods, Blightsteel, etc.
Speaking of removing creatures, fight works great with deathtouch snakes as well as infect/wither. I see you already have Ulvenwald Tracker, but how about Setessan Tactics for some instant speed blowouts?
I feel like Liliana's Influence is a little weak for its mana cost and it's over twice as expensive as the average card. Corrosive Mentor can spread a lot of -1/-1 counters at half the mana cost. Rendclaw Trow is another 3 mana witherer that also has persist! Blight Sickle allows everyone, including the snakes, to get in on the fun.
Eldritch Evolution is even more expensive, and doesn't have many targets from your snakes. The exact effect is impossible to replicate as thriftily, but Primal Command give the tutor effect along with other decent modes for about 80 cents less (you can find it for about $1 quite easily).
Gravity Well is an interesting one. I wouldn't want to stop my opponent's flyers from attacking each other though, just me. Tower Defense does the same job for a turn, and the toughness boost is considerable. It's enough to use it against ground attackers to keep all your blockers alive. Blightwidow and Deadly Recluse are the spiders that seem to fit best. Windstorm and Whirlwind proactively handle flyers.
Jungle Hollow is as about cheap as Foul Orchard, as is Golgari Guildgate. Grim Backwoods generates some value from excess snakes. I find the one mana cycle lands good to mitigate land flood, and they're less than $0.25 too. Oran-Rief, the Vastwood would require one of the more expensive spells to leave, but it's far better than a basic Forest.
Card draw options: Warriors' Lesson, Altar's Reap, Mask of Memory, and Vulturous Aven make use of your snakes. Read the Bones is rarely bad. For graveyard based card advantage, there's Phyrexian Reclamation and Wildest Dreams. Skullwinder is political and thematic. Creeping Renaissance could potentially replace Seasons Past at a lower price.
What else could come out? Probably Aboroth, it doesn't do as much as any other 6+ mana spell in the deck I think, or even the 5 mana spells. It doesn't even provide -1/-1 counters until your next upkeep. Hideous Visage feels like it's not necessary, since who's blocking 1/1 deathtouch creatures anyway? It's true that Hapatra wants evasion, but intimidate isn't even great on a two color creature; Aphotic Wisps does the job for one mana, and cantrips. Likewise, Sewers of Estark is too much mana and too many cents for the effect. Culling the Weak seems like something that belongs in an explosive combo deck, not a grindy, incremental value deck.
Well that's it, I look forward to seeing you evolve this deck!
1 month ago
so im leaning towards Hapatra, g/b gives you solid removal against the problematic cards from the above decks, and while I think it can benefit from some infect (Blightsteel Colossus, Triumph of the Hordes etc), I like the build and the creative space its exploring.
Breya feels like the wrong commander, she really doesnt do anything for the theme. i think Silas Renn, Seeker Adept+Akiri, Line-Slinger may be a better fit for the decklist. (one being a living Cranial Plating and he other connecting for artifact recovery)
1 month ago
- Baru, Fist of Krosa - (Weak effect that can be achieved through Paragon of Eternal Wilds, Gaea's Anthem, Hall of Triumph or Caged Sun. I'm not telling you to trade him for any of those cards, though)
- Nylea's Disciple - (meh)
- Oran-Rief Hydra - Too slow
- Rampaging Baloths - Too slow
- Solemn Simulacrum - Not needed. The only situation it'd be useful would be if you have Birthing Pod hanging around.
- Tireless Tracker - (weak in EDH)
- Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (too slow for Selvala)
- Lightning Greaves (meh. As suggested bellow, Thousand-Year Elixir would be better most of the times)
- Gravity Well (Check my Utility Section)
- Back to Nature and Creeping Corrosion aren't needed. This is a fast deck and your opponent's probably won't have time to build a board big enough for you to need it. You already have Bane of Progress and Wave of Vitriol, there's no need for those.
- The Great Aurora - Works wonders with token-based decks. Not so good in here, even if it's a boardwipe of sorts
- Elemental Bond can be replaced by Garruk's Packleader
- Primeval Bounty is good, but I would make room for some of my suggestions.
Get Selvala online as soon as possible (T2):
- Sword of the Paruns - (You just need a creature with power 4 or greater and you have infinte mana. Same goes with Umbral Mantle)
- Great Oak Guardian - (it might also work as a finisher)
- Wirewood Lodge - (a must have)
- Thousand-Year Elixir - pseudo-haste and neat untapping
- Seeker of Skybreak, Quirion Ranger or Scryb Ranger.
- Quest for Renewal for the extra mana every turn.
- Genesis Wave - Also ramps
- Genesis Hydra - Doesn't ramp, but gives you a body
- Nessian Game Warden - Nets you an extra creature
- Fierce Empath - Tutors your big guns.
- Wild Pair - 2 for 1 most of your creatures.
- Woodland Bellower - Does not get legendary creatures, but it should be ok.
- Boundless Realms - Getting rid of the lands in the deck so you can draw better stuff.
- Pathbreaker Ibex
- Overwhelming Stampede
- Dragon Throne of Tarkir
- If you have access to infinte mana Walking Ballista or its cousin Goblin Cannon (yes, you can activate it multiple times before it explodes)
- Silklash Spider
- Glissa Sunseeker
- Newly Spoiled Sandwurm Convergence
- Mosswort Bridge
- Abundance (prevents you from losing to mill and also makes sure you'll never be mana flooded or mana screwed)
- Primal Surge might be fun, but would require you to tone down on instant/sorceries
3 months ago
Thanks for the suggestions Emzed. I went ahead and took your advice to remove Whirlwind and Vedalken Orrery. Unfortunately in my playgroup my friend has one EDH deck, which is Rakdos, Lord of Riots. More often than not, he swings at me with Rakdos the first chance he gets, so I have Gravity Well and some other spells to help me deal with flying threats. I did add Cloudthresher to add a blocker with reach and I added some mana dorks to speed up the deck a little bit.
I am also going to add Abundance when I get my hands on a copy. That card looks like it could add a lot to my deck. I am going to take a long look at my deck soon and try to speed it up and maybe add some of those utility creatures. Thanks for your suggestions.