|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ixalan (XLN)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Star of Extinction
Destroy target land. Star of Extinction deals 20 damage to each creature and each planeswalker.
Star of Extinction Discussion
1 week ago
I think that the Expansion / Explosion copying itself is a better route to go than Finale of Devastation as it is cheaper and less complicated. Then you could even cut green altogether as I don't really see how it helps you otherwise (unless you add Wilderness Reclamation ). Fiery Cannonade is an alright sweeper as is Star of Extinction (probably as a 1 of). As far as creatures go you could put in a Legion Warboss or two to increase the pressure. If you got the spell route Augur of Bolas is pretty strong too. If you want to go green Llanowar Elves is usually a solid turn 1 even though you want red mana too.
1 week ago
My concerns with the current list are:
1) Your avg cmc being pretty high. Some of the more expensive land destruction like Helldozer , Star of Extinction , Destructor Dragon ... and more dont seem worth the costs.
2) How do you capitalize on no lands being around? You dont have a ton of artifact ramp, or ways to cheat creatures in. Planewalker to victory would be sweet but there are only two and of them only Sorin can get there on an empty board.
3 weeks ago
WAR was nuts!! Pulled a Finale of Devastation , Firemind Vessel , Bolt Bend , and a foil Paradise Druid for this deck. Will Probably switch out Star of Extinction for an Ilharg, the Raze-Boar , cuz...BOAR!!!
1 month ago
You can definitely make Omnath, Locus of Rage competitive. I have a friend who plays it.
Ramp is your best friend. And Sac Outlets are your best friend along with some wrath effects.
Cards that you need to make the deck function better are Explore type effects: Oracle of Mul Daya , Azusa, Lost but Seeking , Exploration , Explore , Enter the Unknown , Journey of Discovery , Mina and Denn, Wildborn , Summer Bloom , Wayward Swordtooth ... These work to great effect in getting the most out of Omnath's triggered ability and might hinder your opponents' plans of sweeping the board.
Also, you should be running more lands than the usual EDH deck because you want to be able to keep playing lands.
Recursion is also what will assist in the control metas: Regrowth , Eternal Witness , Den Protector , Greenwarden of Murasa , Recollect , The Mending of Dominaria ... These will help you maintain use of the cards that get removed. Also it allows you to let your general go to Graveyard and get it back to cast it for regular CMC.
You could also use some triggers upon a creature entering the battlefield: Electropotence , Impact Tremors , In the Web of War , Mana Echoes , Warstorm Surge , Purphoros, God of the Forge , Colossal Majesty , Elemental Bond ...
The world is your "oyster" good sir! So have at it. And happy shuffling. Hope this helps.
1 month ago
2 months ago
Flooremoji thanks for the comment!
I really wish I could play Wasteland in Modern. The reason I went with Memorial to War instead of Ghost Quarter was because Ghost Quarter lets the opponent search their deck for a basic land which I felt was counter intuitive to this deck destroying every land they put in play. I may sideboard in some Ghost Quarter or try playing some main board for a while and see how they go. Field of Ruin with both the mana cost and giving a basic land I don't think fits well.
I liked Stuffy Doll because it has that great combo with Star of Extinction to blow decks up for 20 life + land destroy and creature/planeswalker board clear. I had already gone down to 3 Stuffy Doll but may go down to 2 to make room for something else.
I'm gonna put some Inferno Titan in the sideboard the extra zeniths were just sorta a placeholder and I like the LoP but wanted 3. The Leyline of Punishment just allow the deck to burn through various turbo-fog decks and life-gain decks which can be huge. I think the deck needs some additional control card for the sideboard but I cant think of what. The Leyline of the Void , Boseiju, Who Shelters All , and Shattering Spree are phenomenal counter-play cards but I know the rest of the sideboard could use some improvement.
2 months ago
All the cards pskinn01 says are great here are some more
Mission Briefing - basically give you a Scry 2 (in a different form) and flashback for any instant or sorcery
Turn to Frog - Great way to get rid of those annoying 10 power or 12 toughness creatures or those that are indestructible. Plus just being able to things into frogs are fun
The Mirari Conjecture Ik its not an instant or sorcery but it really good two flashback and a copyinstant or sorcery spell as actually won me games
Summary Dismissal - Board wipe for Blue
Mystic Confluence - Great Utility
Sinister Sabotage - Counterspell with Scry 1 (in a different form) sure why not?
Cryptic Command - Again Nice Utility
Frantic Search - A free draw power card
Disallow - An extremely powerful counter spell
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner - Not a instant, sorcery or wizard but free counter once each turn per creature yes please.
Rewind - A free counter spell
Counterspell -Every blue deck has it
Mana Drain -If you have it or can afford/willing to buy cough up the money for it.
Pull from Tomorrow -My favorite draw spell
Omniscience - Play whatever you want for free with no drawbacks other than the big target your painting on your back
Burn from Within - Deals with pesky indestructible
Blastfire Bolt - 5 damage and equipment destruction
Chemister's Trick - Could save your life if backed into a corner or could back your opponent in one.
Countervailing Winds - If you have a lot of cheap cards that makes this card super nice but i would save this card for the opponents big play as the opponent either loses the card or has to waste the rest of their to save it leaving you able to counter attack next if you survive.
Firemind's Foresight - Search spell for instants or sorcery spells
Apex of Power a Free cast cards from exile card
Banefire damage that can't be prevented sure
By Force - a great artifact kill spell
Crack the Earth - well you get hit as well is a quick way to get rid of a pesky card
Rekindled Flame - A burn spell that can potentially come back over ad over again
Reforge the Soul - Need a new hand?
And many more but i don't want this to get to bloated (maybe to late for that.) so i'll end it here. hope these help
3 months ago
A few notes:
I've not been sure about this one for a while. Enchantment destruction only exists in Green and a bit of White (sans Artifacts), so that's not a big concern. How fast can this card usually go? I know it can turn into an easy source of mana, but I'm mostly concerned about pulling it out in the mid-late game- a burn deck's late and extra late game, if you will. I would love to run one, but Idk about it.
This one has been suggested by multiple people. Is it that good in Commander? I'll admit, the 5-CMC on a ramp card feels a bit much combined with relying on what my opponents have done. I do think the deck could use similar ramp - Desperate Ritual , Seething Song , etc. - but Idk about Geyser.
I've had mixed feelings here before, too. For 4-CMC it can be picked off somewhat easily, being a 2/2. I'm less hesitant with Mizzix than I am Geyser, that's for sure. I like the effect a lot.
Yeah, I need me some more Artifact and Enchantment removal...
I've been playing this in my irl physical build because I don't have Star of Extinction . It occurred to me last night that both would be good. I like it so far. It's great for punishing heavy token players.
Blue has too many good things that I keep forgetting stuff like this.
This card is honestly tempting. I think the only reason it hasn't been in previous versions has to do with being afraid to run too many X-drops in the deck. X= 0 in select cases, rendering them useless for effects from a creature like Combustible Gearhulk . I might at least try it. There's Blue Sun's Zenith to consider, too.
I haven't experimented with this card much, and it's probably about time I did. I hadn't thought of it as a tutor before.
Swap out notes:
· Smash to Smithereens is more of a tech. There's plenty of Artifact removal, but burning for 3 to face and destroying an Artifact on a 2-drop is great. Probably swapping out with Disk.
· Fiery Confluence I'd say is still pretty great. True, it's a 4-drop, but it still burns everyone for 6 to face. Confluence also doubles as, what I now like to call, a Repercussion outlet that doesn't damage me like the other outlets do. Probably going to keep around.
· Mystic Speculation is outclassed by Vault. I can Buyback Speculation, or I can pay some extra life to spend less mana in the long run and do the searching right the first time. Definitely swapping out for Vault.
· Etali, Primal Storm gives mixed feelings. If it were sending things to the GY and not exiling things, they'd be less mixed. The biggest purpose it has is triggering the likes of Guttersnipe , Thousand-Year Storm , Aetherflux Reservoir , and so on. Etali also lacks Haste, First Strike, or anything else of the like while boasting a 6 CMC. Hmm... I might need to test without it a little. Not sure.
· Arterial Flow was recommended as a way of gaining CA via giving out CDA to opponents. Not exactly relevant if I have more draw power and speed. Arterial Flow is difficult to cast because of its BB cost that I only tolerate in Torment of Hailfire . Definitely replacing Arterial Flow.
·I left Reanimate in the deck because I have few creatures as it is. Being able to get some back once or twice is handy. Unsure of what to do.
· Risk Factor doesn't have the heft I hoped it would. The difference between it and Gearhulk is that either way I gain an advantage with the latter (sending things to the grave and then casting them). 4 damage might be 1/10th of 40, but opponents don't care a lot. Probably replacing Risk Factor.
Star of Extinction occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.07%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%