Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Kefnet the Mindful
Legendary Creature — God
This can't attack or block unless you have seven or more cards in hand.
: Draw a card. Then, you may return a land you control to its owner's hand.
Recommendations View more recommendations
5 months ago
Withouth any doubt my favourite plane is AMONKHET.
I love ancient Egypt, I had the luck to already visit Egypt and enjoy their ruins, museums and natural enviroments. I love their rich culture, their complex mythology and their awesome landscapes, from the rocky valleys and the sand deserts filled with tombs, funerary temples and pyramids, to the rich oasis and riversides of the Nile full of life and vegetation.
Until Amonkhet came out, many egypt fans like me were hoping for and egyptian plane very hard, and Amonkhet was the final gift.
I love how WotC team designed a new fantastic culture clearly inspired in ancient Egypt but with their own imaginative touch. The concept of the city of Nakthamun being a rich oasis protected from the perils of the deserts fits well the relationship of egyptians with the river Nile, living in their fertile sides, while buring their deads in the dry desertic west grounds.
The chosen mechanics like embalm to represent mummification, the deserts, and cycling to represent the need to seek and recycle in a hard desert enviroment where very fitting.
The awesome gods were also both recognizable and original: Oketra the True as an allusion to the protective but warrior feline goddesses Sejmet and Bastet, Rhonas the Indomitable as a reinterpretation of the guardian cobra god Wadjet but in a more savage way, Hazoret the Fervent as a twisted concept of Anubis (still being related to the afterlife journy) but with some "red" aspects of the desert and war god Seth, Kefnet the Mindful clearly as the sage ibis god Toth, and Bontu the Glorified as a mix of the river god Sobek and the monstrous goddess Ammyt, who keeped the passage to the afterlife devouring the souls of the not worthy ones.
The fallen gods also where awesome, representing with The Scorpion God the perils of the desert and the scorpion goddess Serket, The Scarab God being a reference to Kephri, wich represented the cycle of solar resurrection but in a more "evil" way, and finally The Locust God as a wink to the hebrew's famous myth of the plagues of Egypt. And Nicol Bolas was the perfect villain, bein a subbtle reference to the chaos serpent Aphopis.
Other famous characters where also referenced, like Cleopatra with her death myth caused by an snake bite in Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons and the young-deceased pharaoh Tutankhamun in Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun.
I'm hopping to return to Amonkhet in the future, to know how their people have reconstructed their civilization after Hour of Devastation, having a new Hazoret card and maybe new risen gods or the appearance of unknown ones... and of course more egyptian flavored legends for EDH!!!
5 months ago
11 months ago
TL;DR: I want to make Turbo Fog better, but I'm not sure how.
I like the philosophy of Turbo Fog, and I've had some success with it in FNMs and casual tournaments. I'm trying to push it up into at least low-tier competitive, but I think it's gotten left pretty far behind. It hasn't really gotten any new toys recently to get it above casual tables.
Basically, Turbo Fog is a control deck that tries to avoid taking any damage by neutralizing the opponent's attacking creatures and avoiding or removing harmful spells. It's a similar line of thought to Lantern Control or prison decks.
Starting with the Fog part, there are a few ways to go. Spore Frog and Kami of False Hope are cheap creatures that are easily searched and recycled, but there aren't many other creature options. The old-school method is instants like Darkness and Ethereal Haze, but while they have more options, they don't have as many ways to search or recur them, with Isochron Scepter and Snapcaster Mage probably being the best. Finally, there are the enchantments and artifacts. Leyline of Sanctity takes care of a lot of the non-damaging effects, Ghostly Prison is good but offers a workaround, and Ensnaring Bridge needs a little too much dedicated support, in my experience. Turbo Fog isn't big on emptying its hand.
Next up is the Turbo. The traditional draw engines are Howling Mine and Phyrexian Arena, and Stormfist Crusader is a mixture of those two. The Royal Scions and Jace Beleren provide some Planeswalker support. Teferi, Hero of Dominaria does pretty much everything a Turbo Fog deck wants.
For removal, I generally look at all-purpose stuff, like Abrupt Decay, Assassin's Trophy, and Counterspell. The Fog effects provide pseudo-removal against attackers, so it's the utility creatures and other effects that pose problems. All the same, a good Supreme Verdict is always welcome. Engineered Explosives and Nevinyrral's Disk are other mass removal options.
Finally, and most importantly, the win condition. The three main approaches I've seen and/or tried are draw damage, semi-passive mill, and simply attacking with a big creature. For the draw damage, there's cards like Fevered Visions, Runeflare Trap, Fate Unraveler, basically anything that might see use in a Wheels EDH deck. Semi-passive mill comes from symmetrical drawing, while recycling cards through Blessed Respite or Elixir of Immortality. For big creatures, my headliners are Kefnet the Mindful and Sigarda, Host of Herons--5 power, evasive, and hard to kill. Honorable mention goes to Nexus of Fate, just to completely lock out the opponent.
I've poked through a lot of cards and tried a lot of variations, but I'm still not sure I'm not overlooking something. It's very color-heavy, but every color offers a unique option that's hard to replace in at least one category. I'm currently leaning toward or . Of course, it may just be unable to compete at a higher level with the tools it has now. What does Turbo Fog need to get into the competitive boards?
1 year ago
Thoughts on these? Heartstone, Dizzy Spell (finds amulet or training grounds), Cosima, God of the Voyage Flip, Trench Behemoth, Flooded Shoreline, Icebreaker Kraken, Kefnet the Mindful, Copy Artifact (copy amulet to get an extra mana out of every land), Mirrormade, Sculpting Steel, Illusionist's Bracers, Gauntlet of Power, Seer's Sundial, Vedalken AEthermage, Step Through, Terrain Generator
1 year ago
Other Cards that you could consider cutting
- Ondu Giant => Seedguide Ash this card is one more mana expsive and has to die inorder to get the lands, but could be such a good upside. This dieing with your commander reads ramp 3 draw 3 cards and gain 3 life
- Soratami Mirror-Guard I get what you are doing here, but I feel like there are better payoffs for this
- Timbermaw Larva => Rampaging Brontodon trample is 1,000% better on this card
- Wakeroot Elemental 5 greens for a 5/5? way overcosted
- Wave-Wing Elemental again similar argument to Windrider Eel not that big of an impact
- Wild Wanderer good but could have better options
- Aetherflux Reservoir I know this is good in commander but why? No synergy at all, there has to be a better card slot here
- Elixir of Immortality I used to put this in all of my decks too, but it is counter productive to your stragay with cards like Splendid Reclamation and The Mending of Dominaria
- Wayfarer's Bauble There is better ramp than this in green
- I see why you have Jiang Yanggu but I feel like there is stronger cards than that. I cut the card to tutor Journey for the Elixir for him sorry :(
- There are a bunch of other better than Ranger's Path you could add, I'll show them in the recommendations
- Future Sight and Ominous Seas both seem strange here. I get future sight can draw cards, BUT I feel you should use mana sinks rather than off the top of your library draw
- Ghostly Flicker is on thin ice, like yes you have all the etb creatures but sometimes it is a dead card. meh at best?
Other Cards that you could consider adding
This is where the fun begins and your wallet cries
- You want Nissa, Who Shakes the World great card, it is a mana doubler ramp, and also you just win with the ultimate
- I heard you like ramp try Tireless Provisioner and pick up one for me while you are at it please
- Here is a gaint list of green ramp Harrow , Growth Spiral , Explore , Khalni Heart Expedition , Roiling Regrowth , Grow from the Ashes , Urban Evolution , Migration Path , Natural Connection , Nissa's Renewal , Nylea's Intervention , Spring / Mind , Animist's Awakening , Omen of the Hunt
- Keeping your life total at a high level Kazandu Nectarpot , Grazing Gladehart , Retreat to Kazandu , Jaddi Offshoot
- Mana Sinks, you are going to have a lot of mana, might as well do something with it Kamahl's Druidic Vow ummm.... yes? Kefnet the Mindful one of my favorite Gods, that doesn't have a place. I look forward to getting attacked by him Sprout Swarm it is really easy for this card to be "free"
That is all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll have more la
1 year ago
Maybe I'm late in realizing it but for Urza's Saga you can rescue it in response to its third chapter using Instant-speed abilities like Kefnet the Mindful , letting you tutor (and make Karn tokens) again later on if you want
1 year ago
No problem! I like the idea of snow lands and regular islands to have different card names! And I feel you on the tap lands, though with Teferi's Ageless Insight and cycle lands, it can get a bit nutty! Command Tower and Ash Barrens also jump out if you'd like to thin the lands too! Gush is definitely a win more card, but could serve to give you an island and snow covered island to pitch when your commander is out!
The end goal of draw/huge hand size and a mana sink into a card draw is a lot like Kefnet the Mindful , so that may be a good place to look as well for synergies!
1 year ago
Modern-casual Gods support cards.
Cavern of Souls if you have money to burn
Colossal Majesty gives you some draw power, since Gods tend to have high power.
Neoform might be interesting, since all the blue and green Gods are 3-5 mana.
Keruga, the Macrosage would be cute as a companion. (Make sure you check the updated rules.)