Creature — Bird Wizard
Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
When you cycle Nimble Obstructionist, counter target activated or triggered ability you don't control.
|Have (2)||CompleteWaste , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Nimble Obstructionist Discussion
2 days ago
My favorite card is a black enchantment on the Reserved list that I got two copies of a while back before the prices skyrocketed. But I never found a proper home for it.
The card in question is Tombstone Stairwell
As long as my yard always have more creatures than my opponents it will never be worth attacking me since then I can always outblock their tombspawn tokens.
Below I've listed what some of the colors can do to bring this card to life. (hehe) I know there are a lot more and please don't hestitate to type in your suggestions so that I can add to the list. The reason I list them is to make it easier to think of what kind of deck I could run this in as a "win-more-card" without ruining the deck so it fails of my yard gets emptied. It's also worth noting that the tokens gets Destroyed so if you make your creatures indestructible with something like Eldrazi Monument you get to keep your tokens where your opponents have to destroy theirs.
RED • ETB triggers like Purphoros, God of the Forge
• Cool Synnergy with Deathbringer Thoctar which is extra nice since it's also a Zombie
BLACK • Various Deathtriggers like Blood Artist
• Sac outlets
WHITE • Great Synnergy with Cathars' Crusade
• Some Deathtriggers
• Has some nice player protection (To avoiod effects like Bojuka Bog and also nice recursion of enchantments and/or protection for enchantments.
GREEN • Good recursion cards, even on bodies like Eternal Witness to mention one of many.
• Death Presence
BLUE • Draws a lot of cards
• Protects gameplan and has some good Counter Triggered a bility cards like Stifle and Nimble Obstructionist which is extra nice to have on a body that also draws a card.
Basically I've made decks around this a hundred times but when I'm about to finish I feel like I'm lacking something in the colors I'm in or something else, I'm lost in what direction I should go to make the best out of this without having a poop deck till all the stars align.
Best Commanders I can think of as of yet:
• Alesha, Who Smiles at Death Aristocrats
• Kresh the Bloodbraided works well with this too, currently I'm building him in a more traditional direction since I fell in love with this commander for some reason. :)
• Teysa, Orzhov Scion Aristocrat Tokens
• Teysa Karlov Aristocrat Deathtriggers
• Ghave, Guru of Spores w/o going for inf combo wincon
• Varina, Lich Queen Seems perfect in many ways for this too.
I currently run it in a Wilhelt, the Rotcleaver but I never gotten to cast it yet. The boring thing about Zombie tribal is that it's boring to build and somewhat fun to play (Play zombies, play lords, swing) and it leaves for a less interactive gameplay. It's a solid deck but it doesnt feel very spicy.
I don't necessarly need to run the most optimized deck to have fun or run the most expensive cards. I'm helpful for all the Ideas you can bring me as I seem to have hit a wall where I don't know what to do anymore.
Currently I'm leaning towards either of Teysa's or Alesha.
TL:DR What deck or what colors do you think Tombstone Stairwell would do best in?
Much appreciated. :)
3 weeks ago
Hey Balaam, have you thought of making this more like wizard tribal with a tiny-bit less emphasis fairy theme?
If so you could run it two ways.
1) Value wizards like Snapcaster Mage and Nimble Obstructionist are useful to tempo them out along with an upgraded counter package like Wizard's Retort. Support also expands to include Naban, Dean of Iteration and Naru Meha, Master Wizard who pumps your wizards and faeries. You'de likely have to swap out your scions for this. However, Cavern of souls makes your wizards uncounterable and you gain access to a wider tribe.
Also swapping out for snow lands so you can run Ascendant Spirit seems useful and holds a low opportunity cost.
2) The alternative is to force tribal matches with Arcane Adaptation. If you go this route you're basically running the best low cost blue value creatures, lots of cantrips and the 4x scions. You're using 'real' faeries less but all your creatures gain shroud. This is kinda like the Drogskol Captain combo used in Bant spirits, splashing green for collected company.
Which ever you go with 4x of Curious Obsession will likely help you tempo them out.
Great thematic deck. Kudos to you for trying to build something competitive around a fun theme. It's easy and derivative to just try and formulate "the best deck." Also those decks tend to have repetitive lines of play. Something slightly less competitive is going to be more challenging to pilot but it will also be significantly more rewarding and interactive.
That's how I lean when I tend to build my commander decks. Find and use the best enablers for an underpowered theme/tribe to bring it to a competitive level. Games are more surprising this way and people will be on the back foot, unable to write you off as a crude underestimation will lead to their elimination from the game.
2 months ago
Solid list. There are some great cards worth looking at which give this kind of list a lot of versatility- and a lot of the rares from Nightpack Ambusher era are cheap. Spectral Sailor, Mizzium Meddler, Lutri, the Spellchaser, Nimble Obstructionist, Faerie Vandal, Quickling, Wildborn Preserver, Vile Redeemer.
With Cathar Commando/Hushwing Gryff/Containment Priest, you could probably string together a strong w/u or w/g list. I remember messing around with Mantle of Leadership for this in the past. Sigrid, God-Favored+Niambi, Esteemed Speaker point to a legendary tribal option if budget legendaries show up for the archetype.
7 months ago
You generally don't need to exile all copies; and furthermore, by the time you can cast Crumble, they already have tron assembled. Setting them back 1-2 turns is generally enough when you're playing control.
Regarding replacements: if you're looking for other cards, Kroxa is SUPER good. Taxes them early and wins the game late. There's plenty of other playable options though: Liliana, the Last Hope is good (though best with more creatures to recur), Kalitas, Brazen Borrower , Nimble Obstructionist , Tasigur, even Murktide Regent . Sprite Dragon is also an absolute beating, but would need a significant rework of the deck to get max value.
7 months ago
Only 6 of your 32 creatures have flying, excluding Warden of Evos Isle . I'd say maybe find some more fliers to make it worth it, or swap the warden with another wizard. Some alternatives could be Archaeomancer , Nimble Obstructionist , or Sower of Temptation .
10 months ago
As for Favorable Winds , I do like the lord effect, but I feel like I would have too few flyers to use it (and my draw engines) effectively if I made a slot for it.
Also, I checked your deck and I see that you deal with the opposing creatures pretty well (with 10 sudo-removals in the mainboard). That's a part I really struggle with, so your list was also helpful in that way!
Thanks for the advice!
1 year ago
@Heliogable, Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah I'll add those lands rn. Nimble Obstructionist doesn't work that well because unless you play it precombat on your turn you won't get it back.