|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Amonkhet (AKH)||Mythic Rare|
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations (AKHMPS)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Bontu the Glorified
Legendary Creature — God
Bontu the Glorified can't attack or block unless a creature died under your control this turn.
, Sacrifice another creature: Scry 1. Each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Bontu the Glorified Discussion
3 weeks ago
Galimao I had considered it but ultimately decided against it in favor of Isareth the Awakener. The mana cost on Immortal Servitude seemed too high for me as it would be a 6 cost spell to bring back Demonic Taskmaster or Bontu the Glorified. Isareth the Awakener on the other hand can bring them back the next time I attack if I want and she has a decent body with deaththouch to boot. Now don't get me wrong Immortal Servitude would be great to get the one costs back, but I'm unsure it would be good for much else. Another thing is that I'm not really all that interested in having the deck be a reanimated heavy deck, which I feel it would become with Immortal Servitude. Another issue I find with servitude is the lack of versatility it has. I could maybe swap it for Altar's Reap however as I'm unsure if the deck really requires card draw. Actually, now that I think about it I might like it in the sideboard for those long drawn out matches. What do you think about putting, oh I don't know 2 or 3 in the sideboard? Don't think I'll put it in the mainboard though.
1 month ago
But to touch a bit more in depth, Wizards accidentally wrote themselves into a corner. They had a Planeswalker for each color who had personal interactions with Nicol Bolas:
- Sarkhan (Red) saw his world get sundered by Bolas and Ugin.
- Ajani (White) has personally fought Bolas and seen the carnage he can unleash.
- Liliana (Black) ... Okay I personally don't know much about her. I know she accidentally killed her brother before her spark ignited, she made a pact with the Demons, killed them, than Bolas basically said "serve me or die"? Something like that
- Tezzeret (Blue) has been working for Bolas, because Bolas saved his life a long time ago.
But there were no Green Planeswalkers who personally had a history with Bolas.
Now, as I have been told, the reason the Planeswalkers in M19 feel weaker than their current versions, particularly Liliana, the Necromancer and Liliana, Untouched By Death is because Core Set 2019's story is sort of more like a prequel, giving us insight into who Bolas was and his battle with Ugin on Tarkir.
I brought this up in a prior thread where I was curious as to why Liliana felt so weak. In terms of set construction, M19 was released after Amonkhet, in which she kills her final Demon - Razaketh, the Foulblooded.
So if Liliana killed the 4th and final Demon, why does she feel so weak?
What was explained to me is that M19's story takes place long before Amonkhet, therefore (According to the timeline), Liliana is still bound by the Demon(s) during the time M19 takes place in.
What this means is that, DURING M19's story, Samut, the Tested would not have been in the story. She may not even have had her spark ignite. Her spark seems to have ignited when Bolas invaded Amonkhet the first time, where he imprisoned three of the Gods, killed the elderly people, and rewrote history. Samut was able to Planeswalk away, and return during Amonkhet, which is why she knows everything is a lie. Her and Bontu the Glorified are the only ones who remember the truth.
Because of this, since M19 takes place BEFORE the invasion / destruction of Amonkhet, Samut WOULD NOT have been a Planeswalker for them to highlight within the set.
Therefore, they still lack a Green Planeswalker who has actual interaction with Bolas.
Perhaps Nissa did, I don't know, but for some reason they decided to not go that particular route.
So.. they just invented one to fill the void.
Basically, Vivian Reid exists merely because Wizard's wrote themselves into a corner and needed a quick way out :/
1 month ago
It's not exactly what you're looking for but Bontu the Glorified is a house in zombies.
1 month ago
So a friend of mine has built Zacama, Primal Calamity and while all my decks can win against him he is winning too much for my liking. My decks cannot consistently answer his ability to cast his commander and wipe away most of my permanents every game. It is ridiculous how much mana he can get...
All of these are untouchable by zacama in some way. There are other options and some of those are really strong decks that would pound zacama most games but I am not looking to one up my friend. I just want something that I have consistent access to so that I'm still in the game when Zacama comes out to play.
1 month ago
Since this deck plays so few creatures, I feel like Lethal Vapors can be a good inclusion.
1 month ago
I can tell just by looking at this briefly that this build has been improved over time as it looks very refined. As I am not experienced with this commander, take my comments with a grain of salt as you are more of the expert here.
I wonder if you could make use of more token producers - specifically ones that make at least 3 1/1 creatures at a time in order to use Teysa's first ability on demand if she's the only creature in play. Cards that come to mind include: Sengir Autocrat, Benevolent Offering, Increasing Devotion, Entrapment Maneuver, Spectral Procession, Martial Coup.
I think more card draw effects would be nice. I'm very surprised to not see Mentor of the Meek in here. I would argue that Read the Bones is strictly better than Painful Lesson. But overall I would consider adding a few more, some that come to mind that play well are: Damnable Pact, Skeletal Scrying, Blood Divination, Altar's Reap, Ancient Craving.
I think you could use more mana ramp. Besides mana rocks, you could take advantage of treasures with cards like Pitiless Plunderer.
Not sure if you've thought about focusing on strong cards that care about low CMC. Besides Mentor of the Meek, other cool cards could be added (some would even interact with Teysa): Unearth, Sun Titan, Reveillark, Citywide Bust.
Fun cards that come to mind that you could add:
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded Not a cheap card at around $6, but could be insane in this deck.
- Archfiend of Despair - also around $6 and high cmc, but would be nuts for ending a long game quickly
- Krav, the Unredeemed I know you said you recently traded him, but it could be worth hunting down another cheap non-foil one and run him with Regna, the Redeemer.
- Bontu the Glorified and/or Oketra the True
- Athreos, God of Passage not cheap at $12, but could be useful when you don't have tokens to sacrifice
- Eliminate the Competition - very underestimated IMO
- Black Market I'm usually very picky when it comes to enchantments at 5+ CMC, but maybe this one would be worth it in a long game since it sees tokens dying.
Lastly, a few cards I think could possibility be cut for any of the above (I am often eager to cut high CMC cards btw):
- Treasury Thrull - a good effect I'll admit, but I'm just not thrilled with the 6 CMC. If reviving creatures is your main goal, something like a Hell's Caretaker's effect for less mana might be better.
- Voldaren Pariah Flip - at her cmc with that effect, I think I'd rather run a board wipe instead
- Vizkopa Confessor - looks like a fun card, but I don't like the CMC.
- Profane Command - I don't know that this should be cut, but I'd encourage you to really ask yourself which modes you typically use because you might be able to get a card with the desired mode for less mana. If X spells are a way for you close out the game, you could consider Exsanguinate or Torment of Hailfire.
- Tamiyo's Journal - looks like a fun card, but idk about the cmc, requires a long game before providing lots of value.
- Tainted Sigil - I've never seen this card before, does it pay off well? I just don't like that people can see it on the board.
Overall, very impression decklist - glad you rebuilt it. Eager to face it next week.
1 month ago
With only 6 cards that gain you life:Vampiric Rites, Noxious Gearhulk, Blood Artist, Bontu's Monument, Bontu the Glorified, and High Market, I'm not sure I see enough reason to be running Sanguine Bond. The life-gain here looks like more of a sub-theme. Granted, Kokusho's ability will allow you to knock one target for 15 life each time you can get it into the graveyard, but I'm not sure if single-target draining is what you're looking for. I would at least consider replacing this enchantment with a card that helps you remain more consistent or speed up the deck--more ramp, card draw, or more sac outlets, perhaps? Yahenni, Undying Partisan might be a consideration.
Anyway, it's something to consider. It certainly works with your commander and some other cards. Cool deck!
2 months ago
I like Thief of Sanity, but agree with all of gus's cuts. I'd also get rid of Virtus, Traxos, Blizzard Specter, Nightveil Specter, House Guildmage, Murder, Pulse of the Grid, Enhance Surveillance and Fireshrieker.
I like: Vector Asp (join me), some combination of the looters: Merfolk, il-Kor, Wharf Infiltrator or whatever. Those type of cards are quite good in my experience. Ancient Excavation seems solid too. Yahenni, Undying Partisan, Ovinomancer and Bontu the Glorified seems pretty good as another way to save Lazav.