Bontu the Glorified
Legendary Creature — God
Bontu the Glorified can't attack or block unless a creature died under your control this turn.
, Sacrifice another creature: Scry 1. Each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Bontu the Glorified Discussion
13 hours ago
I'm only now starting to think about it. I've been busy with exams the past couple of weeks, so I didn't really get much chance to start evaluating cards. There are a couple new toys available with AKH that I might want to test out, but little is definitive, other than replacing Release the Gremlins with By Force. Keep in mind these are all just first impressions; I've done little evaluation of these cards.
Bontu the Glorified looks like he might have use if I tweak some of the cards in the deck like maybe running a couple of Bone Splinters or Hidden Stockpiles, but he's probably better suited to a sacrifice-themed version of this deck that. I might actually want to try that out to be honest. Oketra the True is probably worth checking out, as is Gideon of the Trials. Dispossess has a much more narrow range of targets than Lost Legacy, but might be a potential replacement for it while Mardu is still the top deck. Going to playtest Anointed Procession, but 4 mana seems like it would be prohibitively expensive. Everyone seems to be raving about Cast Out, so I'll have to check it out as well. Dusk//Dawn seems very good, Never//Return seems like one of the few decent planeswalker removal options, so that may see use, and Cut//Ribbons looks like it'll be worth playtesting too. Honored Crop-Captain seems like it would be powerful in a go-wide deck, so I'll check it out, probably as a replacement to Syndicate Trafficker
1 day ago
So I love the green cards of Amonkhet, especially Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons and Honored Hydra, and I'd like to build a block-constructed deck around Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons and negative counters. Here's what I've come up with so far : [AKH only] Hapatra -1/-1.
- Play Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons turn 2, Channeler Initiate/Defiant Greatmaw/Nest of Scarabs turn 3 to overwhelm the board with Snake and Insects tokens.
- Play Archfiend of Ifnir turn 5 to make more counters with Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons.
- Cycling is used only for placing and triggering Archfiend of Ifnir. That's why there are 4 of them (which makes 3 potential cycling cards after 1 has been played), and 3x Stinging Shot. I chose the later because there's not much to defend yourself against flyers but I put Dissenter's Deliverance in sideboard for possible artifacts.
- No 2x Rhonas the Indomitable, it costs too much atm. I'd be open to suggestion for 1x Rhonas the Indomitable and 1x Bontu the Glorified (I think it should be easy to enable Bontu) but not 2x Rhonas the Indomitable.
- Block-constructed, Amonkhet cards only please.
- I'm not one for splashing but if there's very little of it and it doesn't change the core of the deck, why not splash with Red.
Needs help with
- Cards distribution : is 4x Crocodile of the Crossing too much, 2x Honored Hydra too little. How should I balance my cards ?
- Cards viability : some of them I'm not sure about. Should I go with Shed Weakness or Hapatra's Mark. Why not add Splendid Agony or Plague Belcher, I don't really know.
- Mana base : I'm not sure how many lands I got to have. I think half Swamp and half Forest is vital for playing Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons turn 2.
3 days ago
I hear what you are saying Red_or_Dead and I really thought about that a lot. This deck is a zombie deck, with cards that provide value from having lots of creatures.
I don't particularly want to drop Zulaport Cutthroat as the value that comes from him is insane as we are playing lots of creatures that do tend to die quite easily.
However, I think that Bontu the Glorified could easily be replaced with Lord of the Accursed as Bontu wants to be played in an aristocrat deck where he can reliably attack, and the ability on lord of the accursed to give all zombies menace in the deck is game ending.
I feel as if this deck can be played quite aggressively with menace and Throne of the God-Pharaoh but also has the ability to stall out games and drain the opponent to death. I feel like that versatility is as important as being in either the aristocrat or zombie theme.
Thanks a lot for the comment though as it did help out a lot and made me really think about what the deck is trying to do. I think I will drop the bontu's and add in the lords.
3 days ago
-2x Yahenni, Undying Partisan, +1x Bontu the Glorified, +1x Oketra the True
4 days ago
Eh, Bontu the Glorified is sooooo much slower than Marionette Master if we are looking at the life loss aspect, and if you are looking at sacrificing, Defiant Salvager may be sorcery speed only, but it's free. If they wanted to pay to sacrifice, it'd be better to go with Vampiric Rites, as that gives card draw, and they already have Hidden Stockpile's activated ability for saccing if they want. Tldr; bontu not great for this deck, simply better options available.
5 days ago
Thanks for the suggestion, but Bontu the Glorified is too damn expensive at the moment. He's currently $5 a copy for preorder. Also, the 3 mana slot is already taken. Anything more would be too much. Plus, the deck works without him. The Scry ability can be triggered with Hidden Stockpile for only 1 generic mana. I might put a couple in the sideboard, once the price goes down of course.
6 days ago
Had a blast at my prerelease today, and am looking to trade off a few of the cards I pulled for those I wasn't lucky enough to get.
Bontu the Glorified
2 Annointed Procession
3 Cascading Cataracts
vizier of the managerie
Champion of Rhonas (nonfoil)