Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Dragon
When Thundermaw Hellkite enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each creature with flying your opponents control. Tap those creatures.
wallisface on Boros of Destiny
1 week ago
I’m not sure how a game is ever going long enough for you to cast Thundermaw Hellkite… with 19 lands you’re unlikely to find your 5th land until turn 9, and no game realistically goes that long.
eliakimras on miirym , need recommendations
1 month ago
Hello! I saw your deck help tag and wanted to give some insight.
I don't run Miirym as commander, but I do have her in the 99 in Smashing Faces with the Ur-Dragon, and she always pushes me to victory whenever she's allowed to stick on the battlefield.
Some areas you might want to change to improve your consistency:
1 - Ramp
- Farseek and Fellwar Stone are great for fixing for multiple colors of mana. You might take out Birds of Paradise (dies so easily), Sakura-Tribe Elder (fixes for only one color) and Sword of Once and Future (no synergy with dragons) for them.
- Skyshroud Claim is great for the same reasons above. Frontier Siege never impressed me in a multicolor deck, because I often need colors outside of .
- If you run the suggestions above, you probably need more fetchable dual lands: Ketria Triome, Breeding Pool, Steam Vents, Stomping Ground, Sheltered Thicket, Wooded Ridgeline.
- If you run Into the North, you can also use Highland Forest, Rimewood Falls, Volatile Fjord and some snow basics (Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Mountain) to fetch.
2 - Draw/Haste
- It is tough to cast Tribute to the World Tree in a 3-color deck without Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth or Chromatic Lantern on the battlefield. Maybe you want Temur Ascendancy instead.
3 - Removal/Boardwipes
- Chain Reaction cleans your own dragons. Curse of the Swine should get rid of your opponents' most problematic creatures. If you face a lot of token decks, Surtland Frostpyre is a boardwipe on a land that leaves most of your dragons alive.
- Green Sun's Twilight could be Chaos Warp as a second Beast Within.
4 - Protection
- In my dragons deck, I often want protection and haste for more than one creature. Swiftfoot Boots got swapped out for Asceticism.
- Slip Out the Back could instead be Heroic Intervention (it has good synergy with Blasphemous Act).
- If you don't want to be attacked, Propaganda might deter more attackers than Fog.
- Can you cast Counterspell and Bane's Contingency reliably? Swan Song or Arcane Denial might be easier to cast considering your manabase.
5 - Card draw
- Rishkar's Expertise, Garruk, Primal Hunter and Return of the Wildspeaker are the cream of the crop of green card draw. You might want to remove Blur, Essence Flux and Ghostly Flicker for them. (Instead of running flicker effects to save your creatures, it might be better to just run more threats in case they are dealt with - and card draw helps with that.)
6 - Better threats
- Dragon Broodmother creates tokens at a much faster pace than Dragonmaster Outcast.
- Korlessa, Scale Singer never impressed me. Knollspine Dragon is way better at drawing cards.
- Overwhelming Stampede wins games harder than Thundermaw Hellkite.
- I would take out Flameblast Dragon for Utvara Hellkite.
7 - Some utility lands you might want to run
- Exotic Orchard, Unclaimed Territory and Secluded Courtyard fix your colors.
- Haven of the Spirit Dragon fixes your colors and bring Dragons back from the dead.
- Littjara Mirrorlake clones one of your Dragons.
- Blighted Woodland and Myriad Landscape ramp you into Miirym.
zapyourtumor on Boros of Destiny
3 months ago
Deck definitely seems a bit outdated with some of the card choices (like Path) which aren't really modern playable anymore. And there are a lot of creatures in boros colors like Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer and Esper Sentinel that you could probably run here too.
But that stuff aside I think the new Nahiri, the Unforgiving could be pretty interesting here as a top end threat (instead of Thundermaw Hellkite). The +1 abilities can get rid of blockers, loot away bad cards, or generate card advantage when hellbent, while the 0 ability is especially strong with Keldon Marauders.
griffstick on Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm: Double Dragon
11 months ago
I say cut Thundermaw Hellkite too. Idk I feel like having Genesis Wave resolve with x being 7 or greater would be fun. I also want to suggest Equilibrium. Bounce your own creatures could be a good idea.
Ok but what about Sylvan Library or Worldly Tutor? Or other really powerful cards like Mana Vault
Forkbeard on Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm: Double Dragon
11 months ago
Thanks DareiJuxis. Strionic Resonator is a great card and I had it in the pile of cards I wanted to include, but choices and cuts were getting really tough so I opted for the static ability of Panharmonicon rather than the pay to activate option of Strionic. Also, there's a few more ETB effects beyond Miirym + the 2 you mentioned: Astral Dragon, Ganax, Astral Hunter, Obsidian Charmaw and Thundermaw Hellkite. Still! There's a bunch of attack and death triggers I could take advantage of with Strionic as well so I might try to sub it in to give it a try.
Rivel on Mono red Dragon Deck V2
1 year ago
So I have rambled on and on about my thoughts on all of the different aspects of this deck. In advance, I would like to thank anyone who has taken the time out of their day to read all of these and leave their own thoughts, as that is part of what makes this community great. There aren't many more themes to talk about in the deck. Now, onto win cons. So my main win conditions in the deck are damage from triggers and beating the opponent down with hoards of big dragons (with a third backup wincon with Hellkite Tyrant and Hellkite Igniter).
For damage from triggers I have Where Ancients Tread, Warstorm Surge, Dragon Tempest, Terror of the Peaks, Scourge of Valkas and Panharmonicon. They work great with Lathliss, Dragon Queen due to the tokens she generates when another dragon is played, all activating those damage triggers which can be used to control the board and directly target the opponent's HP pools. Archwing Dragon is a reliable way for the Damage triggers to activate each turn. Summons from Utvara Hellkite, Skyline Despot and Dragonmaster Outcast act as backup token generators for the damage triggers in case our lathliss isn't in play. Demanding Dragon is potentially a free 5 damage to the opponent's face. Drakuseth, Maw of Flames his damage trigger is repeatable every time you attack.
Supporting cards for the first win condition: I do not have any of these three cards in my decklist, as I can't figure out what I want to replace to get them in, but the dream is there. Conjurer's Closet allows you to make a dragon leave and re-enter the field at the end of the turn, triggering all of our ETB effects above. Mirage Mirror allows you to copy one of our pieces above, and you can choose the most beneficial one. It would be nice having two Dragon Tempest in play, especially say if you have 6 dragons on the field, have Mirage Mirror end of turn triggering them and getting free 12 damage to any target you want. If you could fit in a Fiery Emancipation that 12 turns into 36!
The secondary win condition "beat down", with "big" "dragon hoards", is also supported by Lathliss, Dragon Queen due to the big 5/5 token dragons she pumps out. The "dragon hoard" part is also supported by cards such as Utvara Hellkite, Skyline Despot, Dragonmaster Outcast as they all generate plenty of dragons. Now the "big" part comes from my anthems that buff my dragons Crucible of Fire, Gauntlet of Power, The Immortal Sun, and Vanquisher's Banner, as well as several dragons that are all pumpable to make them and/or their fellow dragons hit harder. Moonveil Dragon, Scourge of Valkas, Moltensteel Dragon and lastly Lathliss, Dragon Queen. Now, the fun part of my secondary win condition, "beat down" comes into play. Dragons such as Scourge of the Throne and Hellkite Charger allow you to take an extra combat turn, allowing you to really bash in your opponent's face with your big dragon hoard :)
Supporting cards for the secondary win condition: Terror of Mount Velus gives all of your dragon's double strike. Thundermaw Hellkite allows you to tap your opponent's fliers, allowing your dragons through. Drakuseth, Maw of Flames allows you to potentially shoot down any small fliers blocking your path. Cards I would like to put in: Fervor, Anger and Akroma's Memorial would allow any dragons that enter the field to have haste (with akroma adding a slew of goodies and protection). Door of Destinies could allow you to grow your dragons even more. Gratuitous Violence and Fiery Emancipation would allow you to double and triple your damage. Rage Reflection granting double strike would be nice. I would prioritize Fervor, Anger and Akroma's Memorial, as haste is such a beautiful thing, as it helps make up for lost time due to how expensive your dragons can be. I am not sure what I need to remove to fit them into the deck.
Lastly, Hellkite Tyrant is a pretty nifty dragon, acting as a potential win condition on its own. My deck has plenty of artifacts as is, and I typically play against 2-3 (sometimes even more) opponents in a game. Reaching the 20 artifacts owned is doable, the hard part would be keeping it, the artifacts, and yourself alive until it is once more your turn (Suddenly that wall of text I wrote on protection is looking a lot more appealing). Another fun synergy with that is Hellkite Igniter, if that can sneak on by you can pump its damage insanely high due to all of the artifacts! Need to see about getting some haste in the deck to help it connect...
Thanks all for reading!
zapyourtumor on 4C Dragons [Budget/Casual]
1 year ago
Have you considered replacing the abrades with Lightning Bolt yourself?
Icefall Regent seems nice, neutralizing a creature and requiring the opponent to spend extra mana to get rid of it and get their creature back. Here are some other card suggestions I have:
Dragonlord's Servant: Pretty straightforward, helps ramp into all your dragons.
Demanding Dragon: I think this is a good contender for adult gold dragon's spot, since they both have immediate board impact but this one's a 5/5 instead of a 4/3. (adult gold dragon dies to Dragon's Rage Channeler ;-;)
Stormbreath Dragon: Maybe 1-2 in sb, hoses white decks
Thundermaw Hellkite: Classic dragon powerhouse. Might be better in the sideboard, but still great against any deck with flying creatures. Beats up fairies, good against spirits, and delver+drc+murktide decks.
Terror of the Peaks: A great card, but might not be as good here since it's pretty slow and has no immediate board impact. Overpriced as well.
Dragon Tempest: Also helps speed up your gameplan by making all your dragons hasty, and wipes the opponents board at the same time.
Hellkite Charger + Savage Ventmaw was my favorite janky dragon interaction a while back but that's probably too casual for this list.
TriusMalarky on Well put together decks that …
2 years ago
Stormbreath Dragon was a 3/4-of in Modern Skred for a long time. It's still very very good in Path-heavy metas, and it's probably worth running one or two if UW(x) control is something you struggle with.
Thundermaw Hellkite might have seen play at one point, but honestly it's just the option you use against BW tokens, which isn't a super common deck anyways.
Both are easily outclassed by Glorybringer most of the time. It represents a 2-for-1 that can easily become a 3- or 4-for-1 if the opponent fails to remove it. While the other two are good, Glorybringer is better except against Path-Snapcaster decks and Bitterblossom / Lingering Souls decks, both of which are rare enough that it takes a really weird local meta for Thundermaw or Stormbreath to be the better choice.
They're all also ~$2 and fill a slot that you typically only have 4-6 spaces for.