Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Dragon
Whenever Flameblast Dragon attacks, you may pay . If you do, Flameblast Dragon deals X damage to target creature, player or planeswalker.
1 month ago
There's only a few more dragons with repeatable damage.
7 months ago
Hello! I saw your deck help tag and wanted to give some insight.
I don't run Miirym as commander, but I do have her in the 99 in Smashing Faces with the Ur-Dragon, and she always pushes me to victory whenever she's allowed to stick on the battlefield.
Some areas you might want to change to improve your consistency:
1 - Ramp
- Farseek and Fellwar Stone are great for fixing for multiple colors of mana. You might take out Birds of Paradise (dies so easily), Sakura-Tribe Elder (fixes for only one color) and Sword of Once and Future (no synergy with dragons) for them.
- Skyshroud Claim is great for the same reasons above. Frontier Siege never impressed me in a multicolor deck, because I often need colors outside of .
- If you run the suggestions above, you probably need more fetchable dual lands: Ketria Triome, Breeding Pool, Steam Vents, Stomping Ground, Sheltered Thicket, Wooded Ridgeline.
- If you run Into the North, you can also use Highland Forest, Rimewood Falls, Volatile Fjord and some snow basics (Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Mountain) to fetch.
2 - Draw/Haste
- It is tough to cast Tribute to the World Tree in a 3-color deck without Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth or Chromatic Lantern on the battlefield. Maybe you want Temur Ascendancy instead.
3 - Removal/Boardwipes
- Chain Reaction cleans your own dragons. Curse of the Swine should get rid of your opponents' most problematic creatures. If you face a lot of token decks, Surtland Frostpyre is a boardwipe on a land that leaves most of your dragons alive.
- Green Sun's Twilight could be Chaos Warp as a second Beast Within.
4 - Protection
- In my dragons deck, I often want protection and haste for more than one creature. Swiftfoot Boots got swapped out for Asceticism.
- Slip Out the Back could instead be Heroic Intervention (it has good synergy with Blasphemous Act).
- If you don't want to be attacked, Propaganda might deter more attackers than Fog.
- Can you cast Counterspell and Bane's Contingency reliably? Swan Song or Arcane Denial might be easier to cast considering your manabase.
5 - Card draw
- Rishkar's Expertise, Garruk, Primal Hunter and Return of the Wildspeaker are the cream of the crop of green card draw. You might want to remove Blur, Essence Flux and Ghostly Flicker for them. (Instead of running flicker effects to save your creatures, it might be better to just run more threats in case they are dealt with - and card draw helps with that.)
6 - Better threats
- Dragon Broodmother creates tokens at a much faster pace than Dragonmaster Outcast.
- Korlessa, Scale Singer never impressed me. Knollspine Dragon is way better at drawing cards.
- Overwhelming Stampede wins games harder than Thundermaw Hellkite.
- I would take out Flameblast Dragon for Utvara Hellkite.
7 - Some utility lands you might want to run
11 months ago
X as an activation cost can also be very useful. Flameblast Dragon can convert mana to direct damage every round. One attack with Tilonalli's Summoner can give you an army of 1/1 tokens. Soul Foundry can give you 2 tokens each round of whatever creature you exile with it.
Riptide Replicator is a little weird but it's fun to play with in tribal decks.
1 year ago
I go for specific print runs. Those with bolder, darker or more vibrant colors depending on what I am going for. I'm a bit busy, but here is a quick example.
Savage Ventmaw has a few printings now, but the print from Dragons of Tarkir comes both with the Temur watermark and has the darker colors on the Dragon, making the flame look more alive and powerful.
While this may be difficult to notice, here is a better example. Flameblast Dragon from Shards of Alara may be the oldest and thus the most valuable, but I prefer the coloring of Commander 2018 because the glow in the fire and the lighting it casts upon her body and wings and scales looks far more intense.
So, for me, since I'm the one who has to look at them and play with them, I want colors that pop. Be it shading, illumination, vibrance or anything else that properly suits the card art in question.
1 year ago
1 year ago
carpecanum thanks for the suggestions! I have added multiple buyback dump cards to use, and Strength of the Tajuru because that card is insane as an instant with commander damage. I do however think Flameblast Dragon is a great fit for this deck. Not considering budget factors its a reusable x dump any target control card, and its CMC to power ratio is great considering its flying.
1 year ago
Maybe Fanning the Flames over and over
Flameblast Dragon is not particularly useful with this boss. Maybe Primeval Protector, Nessian Boar, Thunderfoot Baloth or Grothama, All-Devouring. Big guys that come out before your boss hits the field
carpecanum on RDKC
2 years ago
Gratuitous Violence maybe. Awesome with double strike