Creature — Pegasus
Noncreature spells cost 1 more to cast.
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Vryn Wingmare occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Vryn Wingmare Discussion
Vash13 on A New Hope
2 days ago
Hey awsome deck who doesn't love one sided board wipes? The only two things that come to mind are first cause of Avacyns already demanding cost I would go a little harder on the board lock some mono white allstars in my book are Glowrider/Winter Orb/Vryn Wingmare/Baird, Steward of Argive/Magus of the Tabernacle/Lodestone Golem.
Then second because of that same factor of mana I would just suggest since your already running 30 basics just switch them to snow lands run an Extraplanar Lens and add a Scrying Sheets to consistently filter out lands and not waste draws.
One last thing since your mono white and doing boardwipes I have to recommend one of my favorite cards of all time Scourglass amazing art and its genuinely a good card, good luck! hope these suggestions help in some way, let me know if you have any questions about any of them
1 week ago
I looked up a few utility creatures that you might want to consider.
- Collector Ouphe: Green is the one color without creature-boardwipes, but also the only color with land ramp. Every other color has to relies on artifacts (mostly) to have a form of acceleration. The Ouphe is always greeted with eye rolling and sighs as he usually slows down at least half the decks on the table. Many greenless decks are completely screwed and can't do anything but sit there and wait to draw another land.
- Kataki, War's Wage: Does basically the same, shuts down all mana rocks.
- Thalia, Guardian of Thraben: Makes not only all boardwipes cost more, but also slows down all acceleration except for dorks (witch are all green). Not sure, if it conflicts with this deck's high number of own non-creature spells.
- Vryn Wingmare: If Thalia works really well, there is another.
- Sanctum Prelate: If you know your meta well, you might be able to turn off almost all boardwipes. The stats are quite bad tho.
- Leonin Arbiter: Definitely better in more competitive metas. Shuts down fetchlands (also your own!), ruins all fast combo decks and prevents tutoring for boardwipes.
- Aven Mindcensor: Same thing.
- Deathrite Shaman: I know this card used to be in the deck, but I think this is one of the best cards in commander, period. Depending on your meta (the amount of fetches), it always produces meta. You could also max out on your own fetches. But the most important thing is: Many decks straight up can't attempt to pull of their combo, against instant speed graveyard hate.
- Anafenza, the Foremost: I really think this card should be in the deck. Great stats, a nice attack trigger and a passive ability that cripples lots of decks just added on top (also prevents lots of combos).
- Selfless Spirit: Not a hatebear, but I don't know why this card is not in the deck.
- Dauntless Escort: Slightly worse.
2 weeks ago
3 months ago
I definitely recommend Vryn Wingmare in the main deck. Other than that, super solid list that looks fun.
3 months ago
I totally agree. While it would certainly make mono white commanders far more viable, white already has enough going for it to make it a sought after color for wedges or dual colored commanders.
White sees lots of play in stax decks, as it packs the most hatebears of any color. Thalia, Guardian of Thraben Leonin Arbiter Aven Mindcensor Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite Grand Abolisher Hokori, Dust Drinker Ethersworn Canonist Kataki, War's Wage are all cards that see competitive play. You have far more fringe cases like Vryn Wingmare Alms Collector Thalia, Heretic Cathar Loxodon Gatekeeper and others which are seen on the fringe. The hatebears become a secondary wincon for competitive by pressuring life totals while also stopping the game.
White also gets a BUNCH of incredible supporting effects for stax builds. Armageddon and the expensive Ravages of War close games. Smothering Tithe plays great under stax. There are also numerous enchantments are shut off combos or lines of play, such as Rest in Peace Stony Silence Leyline of Sanctity Suppression Field and all kinds of less effective variants.
White also gives some of the most efficient 1-for-1 removal. While you will fall behind with 1-for-1's in a 4 player pod, its still important to pack StP and Path. White also gets sweepers for EVERY SINGLE PERMANENT TYPE. You read that correctly kids. You can do A-lot-for-1 trades with cards like Wrath of God Austere Command Cleanfall Paraselene and others.
White also gets one of the best pieces of combo protection available, Silence . White has a few tutors that are playable, Enlightened Tutor Steelshaper's Gift Open the Armory Academy Rector Stoneforge Mystic . You get card advantage via effects like Land Tax Tithe Weathered Wayfarer and more.
True, white doesn't have very many cards with the word "Draw" explicitly on it. You're able to accrue advantage, but its mostly incremental. What white lacks in raw draw you make up for with value. The sweepers are the best example of this imo. The opponent may have drawn more cards than you, but trading 1 card for 10 creatures on the board is effectively 9 card advantage.
I personally enjoy most duals or wedges that include White + Black or White + Blue. I find it to be similar to Green, in that I don't feel bad with having it as a secondary or tertiary color, and that it solves a lot of problems and gives me access to cards I want to run.
4 months ago
Azeworai Thank you for the suggestions.
I used to have Gonti, Lord of Luxury in this deck, however I felt it underperformed since a lot of the times I wouldn't get something so useful or maybe too expensive for how much mana I would have available, which is why I prefer Mindclaw Shaman , and Gray Merchant of Asphodel serves as another piece for the combo.
4 months ago
Taxes is always an enjoyable archetype. For one person at the table, at least.
You have the Reveillark + Karmic Guide loop implemented into the deck, along with Murderous Redcap as a finisher, but Gonti, Lord of Luxury can fulfill the same role of ending the game whilst having more utility on the early turns.
For a deck with thirty-five lands, Temple of the False God seems slightly hopeful and inconsistent. You mentioned difficulty with coloured mana in the deck description, so Grand Coliseum could be fine.
False Prophet has always been one of the single strongest cards in my Alesha deck, so I would include it.
At last, Sire Of Insanity can lock down the entire game in your favor. It leaves your opponents out of solid answers for your board and leaves the way to triumph.
That is all, my liege.
For my own decklists on the archetype, here you are if you wish to peruse: Alesha, Grave Engine Within the Confines of Law
Fare thee well and rejoice in crushing them all.
4 months ago
Have you heard of Whitemane Lion ? With Chulane it's a 2 mana repeatable instant speed growth spiral. On a similar note Stonecloaker does a similar thing however it also eats cards from graves at instant speed. If you're feeling spiky you can combine these cards with Aluren to draw your entire library and drop every land into play. It shouldn't be hard to win from there with Laboratory Maniac , Jace, Wielder of Mysteries , or even Altar of the Brood . Just remember Chulane's ability is mandatory so you'll have to remove him before you go for the win or you might draw yourself to death.
There are a few hate cards I'm surprised you haven't included like Gaddock Teeg , Remorseful Cleric , Containment Priest , Leonin Arbiter , Linvala, Keeper of Silence , Rest in Peace , Archon of Valor's Reach , and Aura Shards . The newer Ranger-Captain of Eos pulls his weight as well by grabbing dorks and accessory creatures like Giant Killer while having the ability to entirely shut down non-creature spells which is great for comboing out that turn or just preventing a board wipe from an opponent on their turn.
Simple tax effects as well give you lots of time to set up Chulane and start slamming creatures down for some great value. Cards like Aura of Silence , Thalia, Guardian of Thraben , Vryn Wingmare , Thorn of Amethyst , Suppression Field , Kataki, War's Wage , Energy Flux , etc.
I think flash is the greatest strength a creature based deck can have so I suggest trying out Vivien, Champion of the Wilds , Vedalken Orrery , Leyline of Anticipation , or Yeva, Nature's Herald to go alongside your Teferi.
Lastly you should include Eternal Witness as some grave recursion and you can abuse the body via bonce or Sun Titan.