|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|From the Vault: Lore (V16)||Mythic Rare|
|Mercadian Masques (MMQ)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
You may exile a black card in your hand rather than pay Unmask's mana cost.
Target player reveals his or her hand. Choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.
1 day ago
I started playing Magic a month or so before Masques came out, so it's always had a kind of mystical aspect to me. Is that nostalgia speaking? Sure, somewhat. But in addition to really loving the 'feel' of the setting and the cards, I also had a familiarity with the cards that helps one better appreciate what was available. There are no shortage of superb cards running around in Masques - in addition to what you mentioned, and just off the top of my head, there's also Land Grant , Food Chain , Thwart , Soothsaying , Misdirection , Reverent Mantra , Unmask , Tower of the Magistrate , Haunted Crossroads , Pulverize as well as the last core printings of Dark Ritual and Brainstorm . Sure, the set had a few too many 4/4s for four mana with colosal drawbacks for my taste, too. But you still can't beat some of the inventive fun in Distorting Lens , Two-Headed Dragon and Foster .
Anyways, thanks for sticking up for the little guy as well. Masques is a fascinating set with a beautiful setting and interesting ideas, so it's nice to hear it spoken of in something other than biting vitriol for a change. Honestly, I'd just love to see any of the modern Type 2 decks try and stand a chance against a well-built Rising Waters deck from even Masques block constructed, you know?
Keep fighting the good fight!
2 months ago
6 months ago
I find it hard to look at a format without looking at the competitive aspects of it. There will always be people looking to abuse a new format and having 2 things available at all times is much too easily abusable. I am glad people are having fun with it, but I will probably never play it because the people I play with tend to try to always be competitive.
If I were to build one, I would probably go Liliana of the Veil and Unmask . Then I would pop in as much black fast mana as I can and keep people under lili's thumb as fast as possible. Ideally I would T1 swamp, Dark Ritual , Liliana of the Veil , then use the alternate cost of Unmask to dump my hand and force my opponent to discard theirs.
9 months ago
Unless you're tuning this deck specifically for one-on-one duels, I would remove the discard spells that only hit a single card out of a single opponent's hand. Stuff like Thought Erasure and Unmask are pretty bad in multiplayer since they don't gain any card advantage and they don't do anything to opponents who aren't targeted by the spell. (They're also pretty questionable from a political point of view; grabbing the best card out of an opponent's hand, especially early in the game, is likely to earn you an enemy without doing much else to benefit you.)
11 months ago
HI all, I want to make nasty land denial mono black deck, where opponent will be locked to play spells.
- KEY CARDS - I like card combination Desolation+ Ankh of Mishra - every turn player taps mana - losts one, and new land costs him 2 life
- CASTING SPELLS - Desolation and Ankh hurts me too, so I wish to use alternative pay cards, Im thinking about:
- MANA - because of Desolation hurts me too, Im thinking about mana generation:
Blood Pet - mana which I can use later and it is not affected by Desolation
Chrome Mox - Desolation doesnt affect it, I know Mox Diamond but its more expensive
Dark Ritual - mana acceleration
any artifacts which generate mana?
Dunes of the Dead - create a creature when its destroyed with Desolation
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- DAMAGE / LIFE LOSS - idea is limit the possibilities to cast spells of opponent and hurt him by Black Vise
Gurmag Angler - use delve to cast him as soon as possible, and to clean graveyard from creatures for Nether Spirit. I was thinking about Tombstalker because he is flyer, but Angler is mana-cheaper.
- DRAW - because I would like to play alternative cost cards I need to have many cards in hand. I was thinking about draw spells as Night's Whisper but I need every turn draw, no only once draw spell. So Im thinking about:
Anvil of Bogardan - maybe its bettter than Howling Mine because it makes opponents hand with no limit which support Black Vise damage.
- LAND DAMAGE - I need to destroy opponents lands as much as possible to lock him to cast aby spell
I know its messy right now and far from final deck but this is what I have right now. Problem is that I need mana to play key cards (Black Vise, Ankh, Desolation, Sinkhole) so I dont know how many lands to play.
Please do you have any advice and improvements? Thank you very much for you time.
1 year ago
I'd like to suggest replacing Phyrexian Arena with cards like Skeletal Scrying or Sign in Blood, that'll give you the option to choose when you're low on health. With the Arena you have no way of ridding yourself of it. Creature's like Tombstalker and Gurmag Angler are pretty good since you'll be filling your GY pretty fast.
1 year ago
Quick double post, as this discussion got me brewing a bit.
I’m also considering some “free” cards. Unmask could be great as a way to protect ourselves on the turn we go off, and up our storm count by a few for no mana investment. Snuff Out can also up our spell count for free, while acting as another piece of interaction which this deck lacks to a certain extent.
As always, cuts are more than just challenging - every cut in some way removes or diminishes other capabilities. This all bears consideration. If you have any cut suggestions, I’d love to hear them, with reasonings if you have them!
1 year ago
1) I don't see the value in running Vault of Whispers and Great Furnace. They are vulnerable to Wasteland/artifact destruction and aren't fetchable. If you were running Tainted Pact as an extra dig spell they would make sense (so you have a lower chance of hitting a card with the same name; e.g., Swamp). However, with only 7 basic Swamps your Lake of the Dead is going to often whiff.
2) Unmask is loss of card advantage. If it acted as a discard outlet instead of exile it could be useful for pitching a combo piece out of your hand before casting Doomsday but, exiling a card as the cost just feels bad.
3) Cutting down the already limited pool of creatures from 12 to 10 makes using Diabolic Intent that much more difficult.
4) Are you using Ricochet Trap to target itself with a counter or using it to save an artifact/creature from destruction? Casting for 3 CMC seems heavy for this deck for a spell that isn't a board wipe. Using it as a counter spell target seems okay since it's just R to cast but, I would run Defense Grid over Ricochet Trap all day long. Defense Grid also has the added bonus of adding to Metalcraft for Mox Opal.
No data for this card yet.