|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|From the Vault: Lore (V16)||Mythic Rare|
|Future Sight (FUT)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Tolaria West enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool.
Transmute (, Discard this card: Search your library for a card with converted mana cost 0, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Transmute only as a sorcery.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||thekingpinBR , Dannyel , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , brokendwarf , mlouden03 , tragic_slip , jrschnoebelen , Neos272 , Dr.Ache , Duct-Tape-Guardian , Archegos , GoldGhost012 , dexxter7 , Supremespeed , Vasbear1 , meowCat1234 , KillDatBUG , , Justinaut|
|Want (6)||, SpaghettiToastBook , MoJoMiXuP , golgarigirl , Fergernuggets , pskinn01|
Tolaria West Discussion
1 hour ago
I think that my number of sphinxes is pretty good right now so i can chain a ton of them into play in one turn psuedo storming off. both ambassador and arbiter have been good but thus far. With the number I have I can basically put almost all of them down sometimes.
I haven't run into trouble w/ getting out unesh early, I would say normally turn 4 is the average.
I would like to add a Mana Crypt but I dont have one. (And that would be a great target for Tolaria West).
Trading Post looks like so unassuming but it does look like a great utility card. I might give that a try.
I generally target Reliquary Tower or Nykthos with tolaria west. I really try to prioritize getting Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel out as once you start storming off and untapping you just have all the answers and can protect the board state. I've had people just scoop from the sheer card advantage!I've found that the deck is hungry for blue mana so nykthos has been great as well as Gilded Lotus. Again, I think the higher number of sphinx I run might make a difference with nykthos here compared to other builds. I feel like Lotus+Paradox Engine+another mana rock and I can storm off and play a ton of sphinx. This is another reason why I like Sword of Feast and Famine; It can make a difference when you need that colored mana and normally I can push a flyer through for damage. Plus, the sword protects unesh and makes him a faster clock. I need to find room for the sword.
Imprisoned in the Moon is another awesome removal, great for getting rid of commanders as well, love this card.
- my other sweeper in addition to Cyclonic Rift and Curse of the Swine would be Capsize and it has worked great for me. I was thinking of putting some mass bounce effects in but they just dont work as the deck relies on mana rocks too much and it would be a huge tempo loss.
thanks for the comments and let me know if you come across any other sweet tech for the deck! Unesh is underrated and people dont see him or the card advantage train coming until its too late.
7 hours ago
Dude, I just tried to post an in depth comment and for some reason tapped out just deleted my post instead. I don't have time to re-type everything but here is the gist of my thoughts.
2) Land count seems low. Have you run into issues getting Unesh out on time?
3) I highly recommend Trading Post the card draw and artifact recursion are the best parts, but making tokens and gaining life can be great on defense and untappers just take this card to the next level.
4) What do you usually tutor for with Tolaria West? I may pick one up and give it a shot.
5) I like that you run multiple pieces of spot removal, I think I'm going to give Rapid Hybridization a shot.
2 days ago
Tolaria West isn't helpful unless you have something to search for with it, which you don't. You really don't want any lands coming in tapped that aren't creature lands.
3 days ago
Adding another Urborg would help, I do have a limited budget though, Maybe I will throw in 2x Tolaria West, which I have.
1 week ago
max hand size
gy to lib
1 week ago
It's not that I can't see having 3 mana in turn 2 is nice, and only possible with birds. But that is the only time where Birds of Paradise is preferable to land. Topdecking the parrots a couple of turns later, and it's a horrible card (where a land instead would be good, since it would trigger landfall).
The problem with Steppe Lynx is that it doesn't have evasion in any way, and I doubt that you can keep the pressure up with landfall (if nothing else, you run out of lands at some point). And that means opposing mana dorks, pyromancer tokens, and other rabble is going to chump block your Steppe Lynx and tell it to have a snickers, until it has cooled down, and is 0/1 or 2/3. Of course Rhonas the Indomitable can give it trample, but by the time you can do that, you have played most of your lands, and we're back with to snickers-munching lynx. But maybe it's really down to you seeing landfall as a midrange-strategy, and I'm considering it more of a creature-combo-strategy, playing a bit like infect (fast, very big creature, that stops being big at all pretty fast). It's fairly easy to build 8 power or so on a Steppe Lynx, and Rite of Consumption is one way of getting something out of the overgrown cat. If you don't go for a couple of very burst-y turns, I don't think Steppe Lynx is a good card, though.
Oh, and you could also use Tolaria West. It can tutor up Summoner's Pact, which can then find the creature you really want to find (as long as it's green creature). It can also find any utility lands you might want.
1 week ago
1) Engineered Explosives is good in the current meta with death shadow decks running around. it is also really good against burn, affinity, zoo, and decks like that. also good as a 1 for 1 to get rid of a pesky Search for Azcanta Flip or Pithing Needle. I do, however, run River of Tears and Gemstone Caverns to get it up to 2 counters. Worst case scenario you can discard it to thirst for knowledge if it does absolutely nothing. Overall I like it, but it may be better in the sideboard.
2) Gifts Ungiven I have found to be REALLY good. You can do it on your opponents end step if they don't do anything relevant to tutor up Tron (usually something like Expedition Map, missing Tron land(s), Tolaria West, and an interaction spell). It can also be used to get a couple threats (usually something like Torrential Gearhulk, Wurmcoil Engine, Treasure Mage, and Mindslaver) either of those 4 can be interchanged with a map that will turn into an Academy Ruins depending on how pressured you are. Those are the combinations i usually get, but if I'm in a pinch i can use it to fetch up 4 interactive spells to keep me alive.
2 weeks ago
Thanks for the comment elfric!
Scrap Trawler and Myr Retriever were better when I had the artifact lands in the list. I think they could possibly become Serra Ascendant, Shimmer Myr and/Or Sun Titan. They are still great value though so I'm going to test my options before choosing. Trading Post is a great card for once you establish board control, I think it is worth the slot as every ability is relevant. Killing myself with Mana Crypt has happened and the life gain can be crucial late game.
Entomb is fantastic here, it finds combo or stax pieces and can be cast in response to Silas's trigger or at the end of my opponent's turn. Imperial Seal I considered, but at sorcery speed I had 5+ better options in esper and I went with those.
The deck has 2 tutor lands, 7 tutors, 3 fetches and Artificer's Intuition. I don't think that would be considered light on shuffle effects? Tolaria West might be better as a basic but tutoring for ramp/shuffle or more importantly Pact of Negation is worth the slot if it stops an opponent from winning next turn imo. Artificer's Intuition is one of the best cards in the deck, discarding stax pieces into ramp or finding Aether Spellbomb/Nihil Spellbomb/Pithing Needle wins games. I have beat some fairly tuned decks to death with aether spellbomb especially.
Chain of Vapor is great imo. cEDH deck at trying to go off T2-T4, one CC disruption is necessary . Generally I don't see people sac a land but if they did and returned a stax piece to my hand unless they are still winning that turn they are either helping the other two players on their turns or passing to me and I will replay the card and they will still be one more land behind if I put out a tax card.
Hope of Ghirapur seems really slow/bad to me. I mean T2 it might stop on player from casting spells but there are better cards imo. I'd rather run something like Orim's Chant personally which can stop a multitude of decks from going off.
Mishra's Workshop would be great here if we had the 2cc ramp package of signets/talismans. Colorless mana is a non issue from my experience with the deck as it is and it's extremely important to fix colors by T2. Inventors' Fair will probably come out for the same reason.
Board wipes seem useless against most of the cEDH decks I'm seeing, I'd rather run more single target removal that will take out a combo piece without destroying my board. Cataclysm is the closest thing to a board wipe in the deck, but it allows me to save Silas and Tymna which creates a good spot to win from.
Dunno about ravager yet, it's a test more than anything but it does get turned off by Cursed Totem which is one of the strongest cards in the deck. So we will see.