Scourge of Nel Toth
Creature — Zombie Dragon
You may cast Scourge of Nel Toth from your graveyard by paying and sacrificing two creatures rather than paying its mana cost.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Scourge of Nel Toth Discussion
4 days ago
4 days ago
5 days ago
I would run some of the signets to ramp up mana quicker. And perhaps some dragon token generators
1 month ago
Thanks for posting on / upvoting my Meren primer, really glad you liked it :) Just following up with you to see if there are a few ideas I can help with - trying to stay in tune with your current deck flavor, and keep all the suggestions pretty cheap :)
- Acidic Slime - How often do you find you target lands with him? I always thought he was a little steep for the effect, and something like Sylvok Replica did 95% of the job for 60% of the cost
- What's your experience with the "pump" creatures like Bloodthrone Vampire, Lotleth Troll, etc.? I find that even with recursion engines, it's hard to have enough cards to actually feed them well enough... maybe it would be more useful to use these slots for more utility creatures (removal, ramp, etc.) and then....
- ...look at something like Beastmaster Ascension to go alongside Dance of Shadows! Seems like your wincon is a big alpha strike with creatures, so this might be a great alternative/addition. Note that Beastmaster Ascension gets the counters upon declaring attacks, so if you swing with seven creatures in one combat, they will all get +5/+5 that combat.
- Focusing on strong wincons like that would also let you turn Mortician Beetle into Elves of Deep Shadow (of course, I don't see many creatures in my playgroup so maybe I'm undervaluing that card)
- Scavenging Ooze sticks with your pump-to-win theme but adds some targeted graveyard hate
- To help speed up card draw - how about Fecundity? I assume you're playing more creatures than your opponents (and have recursion!) so this can help speed up the mid-game slog that usually happens in B/G. Foster is another option, but a little slower.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip - I have no experience with him, but maybe this would be a good place for him
- Manglehorn is just so good as removal, and to slow down your opponents
- From Beyond seems a bit slower than Awakening Zone in an opening hand for a similar effect
- Cryptolith Rite turns everything into Birds of Paradise!
- Maybe Bone Shredder over Nekrataal?
- What about something like Doomgape as a swing-in fatty over Scourge of Nel Toth? Both seem combat-focused, but Doomgape gains you life and is harder to block
- How often do you use Altar of Dementia? Would something like Ashnod's Altar be more useful? Probably comes down to whether you need ramp or card draw more at that stage of the game.
- Ghirapur Orrery might be interesting tech to play with, but depending on your playgroup it could go either way. Never used it personally but it seems like it could be fun
- Aluren is on the steep side of "budget" but would be SO GOOD HERE (assuming your opponents aren't heavy on the creatures too, it's symmetric!)
2 months ago
Ok, first off, your deck has 2 too many cards, you'll need to cut those. Secondly, I think you'll find you have too few lands to be consistent. Next, I believe there are better zombies. Here's a few. I don't know what your budget is, so some of these may be a bit pricey.
Other card suggestions.
Skullclamp If you have Gravecrawler, it's a 2 mana draw 2.
Dictate of Erebos A good way to keep opponents locked down.
Thornbite Staff Combined with Gisa, you can keep pumping out zombies at a MUCH faster rate
Coat of Arms The ultimate buff to a tribal deck.
Hope that helps!
2 months ago
punkrawkmonkey I hadn't thought about including Tooth and Nail. While it's clearly a great form of tutoring and cheating, I'm not sure I need it already having Survival of the Fittest or that what I would take out for it. On the other hand, this would be a backup if my Buried Alive gets countered one way or the other. I'll consider getting this.
LVL_666 Razaketh, the Foulblooded certainly caught my eye when HOU came out. He could potentially be a replacement if a big threat like Avenger of Zendikar, Terastodon, etc. wind up not working out. I haven't had much of an issue with sacrificing creatures due to my meta, my opponents tend to be doing it for me most of the time. So, that would seriously hamper him.
freakingShane That's a lot of helpful information! Thank you!
I defintitely want to get an Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers in there. I would take out a swamp for Urborg, easy enough, and a forest for the Cabal Coffers. I could make these part of a 'Birthday gift' to myself.
I had no idea about the Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord combo with Phyrexian Devourer and the stack. Going to have to explain that one to the playgroup once I pull that off. I will add him back in it's just a matter of what to take out now.
Realms Uncharted another card I didn't know about. Out of all my matches so far I've used Life from the Loam only once. Perhaps it was because I wasn't aware of this combo. Up until this point I was considering removing it.
Smokestack and the stax element was something I was considering as well. Awakening Zone, Pawn of Ulamog, Avenger of Zendikar, and any creature brough back EOT with Meren would make this pretty good. I have a sealed From the Vault Annihilation on my bookshelf that I may have to open up.
Yahenni, Undying Partisan would really have staying power. I could take out one of my artifact / enchantment removal creatures for him.
- zaerox12345 You're absolutely right. I got jaded from one of my earlier games where Scourge of Nel Toth was cheated in to win the game for me. Otherwise in hand it's a 7 CMC 6/6 with flying. Nothing to special considering it would not be the target of an early Buried Alive and provides no ETB effect. Good call here.
3 months ago
- Lord of Tresserhorn
- Crosis's Charm
- Grixis Charm
- Cruel Ultimatum
- Nicol Bolas
- Prince of Thralls
- Sedris, the Traitor King
- Sol'kanar the Swamp King
- Archfiend of Depravity
- Demon of Death's Gate
- Demonlord of Ashmouth
- Master of Cruelties
- Master of the Feast (this guy works with Nekusar)
- Rakdos, Lord of Riots
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded
- Rune-Scarred Demon
- Silent-Blade Oni
- Elbrus, the Binding Blade
- Dragonlord Silumgar
- Preyseizer Dragon
- Scourge of Nel Toth
- Vampiric Dragon
- Bontu's Last Reckoning
- Imminent Doom
- Kefnet's Last Word
- Hazoret's Undying Fury
- Neheb, the Eternal
- Refuse / Cooperate
- Torment of Hailfire
Some of these aren't super serious suggestions, but I think adding a few more Nicol Bolas cards from HOU would be cool. Also some of them may alternatively be good cards for your other deck.
3 months ago
So besides your commander you have only 5 cards that have blue in them. I would go mono black if you are not utilizing that color more with card draw, counter spells, control.
Dread Slaver is good in limited but not edh, it won't stay around long for it to take a bunch of stuff and also people wont mind taking the 3 to keep their dorks. you can replace it with a better beater/ blocker i suggest Scourge of Nel Toth
take out Disentomb and replace it with Reanimate to cut out the middleman, your hand. same goes for Raise Dead i would put in Animate Dead because it puts it on the field and can take from any yard. i would also cut Gravepurge and slot in Zombie Apocalypse yeah it is double the mana but you dont clutter your top deck and get all your guys out instead of slowly over the course of a few turns. remove Macabre Waltz for Dance of the Dead for the same reasons as Disentomb. another mass reanimate spell is Living Death my opinion would to remove Urza's Incubator for it.
to get into more blue take out Sanguimancy and add in Frantic Search for free card draw basically. also remove Underworld Connections for Rhystic Study. Life's Finale can be replaced with Cyclonic Rift. You already have Lord of the Accursed so Graf Harvest can come out for Lim-Dul's Vault to set up what you need. i would take out Liliana's Indignation for Traumatize indulgence is such abad mana sink you should add Dark Salvation as a mana sink and remove From Under the Floorboards. adding Traumatize works well with cards like Undead Alchemist so to slot him in remove Liliana's Reaver in addition to buff this little synergy remove Darkest Hour for Altar of the Brood to make tokens all night.
Haunted Fengraf is slow because you sac lands and you dont even get to choose you target i would replace it with Unholy Grotto. take out Leechridden Swamp for a swamp there are better ways to get to your opponents life with your mana. graveyard decks do not need Reliquary Tower.
i see you arent running the grimgrin-gravecrawler-diregraf captain combo, i would take out Jet Medallion for Phyrexian Altar to be able to kill the table. also for replacements for the captain remove Adaptive Automaton and Prized Amalgam (its slow) for Vengeful Dead and Plague Belcher
i would also try to find more slots for a for like 4 counter spells
you can check out my list for other combos http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rise-of-the-dark-realms-4/