|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Dormant Volcano enters the battlefield tapped.
When Dormant Volcano enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you return an untapped Mountain you control to its owner's hand.
: Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Dormant Volcano Discussion
6 months ago
try using Dormant Volcano instead of haveing twenty two mountains u could drop it to around 18-16 and it will work for u because u run artifacts
8 months ago
- Quest for Pure Flame (building it up is really easy and busting it makes Purphoros even scarier for a turn)
- Firecat Blitz (cast it the first time to take someone out an flashback it to end the rest of the table)
- Elemental Appeal (9 mana for 14 damage after someone has cleared the board isn't too shabby)
- Grinning Ignus<- please add this ( + to get it started, for each time you want to do it again and you have a neat mana dump for Purphoros)
- Emrakul's Hatcher (nets you 4 creatures and mana refund)
- Skittering Invasion (same idea, with Purphoros out it's a neat 10 damage spell that offers mana refund)
- Orochi Hatchery (dump some mana in it and you are good to go)
- Trading Post for the goats mostly
- Spawning Pit recycling tokens is good for the environment.
- Portcullis locks the battlefield with 2 creatures total (note that it still allows ETBs to happen before exiling the cards, so it basically works as a shell until someone destroys it... and you get the ETBs once more)
Clear a board
- Magmaquake (boardwipe at instant speed... requires a lot of mana, but it shouldn't be too hard)
- Sudden Demise (allows you to get rid of those pesky hexproof shenanigans)
- Boompile (unreliable? Yes. But scary nevertheless. Might stop/slow down people from building up a mighty boardstate)
- Dormant Volcano (neat artwork, nice effect)
- Khalni Gem allows you to replay 2 lands (consider it a 2 mana investment since it costs 4, but gives 2 back immediately)
- Burnished Hart is underrated.
- Choose three: Hedron Archive, Commander's Sphere, Mind Stone, Worn Powerstone, Sol Ring
- Hoarding Dragon (4/4 flying for isn't bad. And if/when it dies you get the treasure)
- Staff of Nin (an old favorite of mine and allows you to ping some damage)
- Avaricious Dragon (just don't cast it when you have a full hand and you should be fine with a 4cmc 4/4 flyer and some extra draw)
- Loreseeker's Stone (drawing 3 for ~ is quite good)
What I don't like/What to cut
- Dragon Mage
- Goblin Chirurgeon (you'd be better off with a
- Goblin Sharpshooter
- Goblin Warchief (cost reduction part is fine, but he isn't all that useful otherwise)
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser (i don't see you dealing with combat damage all that much)
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker is great, really, not indispensable for its price.
- Knollspine Dragon (IMO it's a terrible card for its mana cost and effect... and 4+USD? WTF)
- Magus of the Wheel
- Lightning Crafter
- Warchief Giant (yes, myriad is great, but he's so fragile...)
- Anger of the Gods (great card... in other formats)
- Mana Geyser (temporary mana isn't that good unless you have some place to dump it...)
- Goblin Bombardment isn't good enough
- Possibility Storm (? Is it there just as a disruption tool?)
- Battle Hymn (same thing as mana geyser. Even worse considering it depends on you having at least 3 creatures to generate any mana)
- Seething Song
- Smash to Smithereens (the damage is neglectable IMO. I'd rather go with Smash simply because it draws you a card back)
- Elixir of Immortality (is this even necessary here?)
- Vedalken Orrery also not needed IMO
10 months ago
Deck looks really good at a glance, have pretty much all the staples. Crucible of Worlds for all the fetches. Since you've included Wildfire I don't know how you feel about Strip Mine, Wasteland, hell I might even include Ghost Quarter, could even target myself. Maybe Dormant Volcano and Jungle Basin and Gruul Turf, lose some tempo but gain a card.
Uhh, I'm done ranting. Calming Verse
10 months ago
10 months ago
A great way to avoid getting mana screwed, and creating some ramp which is always welcome in a red deck, is Armillary Sphere, Expedition Map, Traveler's Amulet and such. Also I don't think you really need Arcane Lighthouse in this deck, but Dormant Volcano or Temple of the False God might be welcome. Also take out the darksteel citadel, and add another mountain (Both Valakut and Spawn of Thraxes love mountains)
What Caldera Hellion does is getting rid of creatures (and tokens) of your opponents while the Broker doesn't add much to your meta. Obviously you play the Caldera when you don't have your commander out: it's a red wipe on a stick so to speak.
11 months ago
Hello! I saw your post on my page. To be honest, it's hard to evaluate a deck without a good description. I can give some general advice about playing mono-red, but without some more info I can't really give specific advice.
Direct damage in red is HARD. For creature removal, you could go with Skred if you move all of your lands to Snow-Covered Mountains. Extraplanar Lens and Blood Moon are fantastic in mono-color as well. Weakstone and perhaps Static Orb or Winter Orb could lock down your opponents while you try to draw into enough burn to close out the game?
You aren't playing Vandalblast or Descent of the Dragons or Mogg Infestation or Past in Flames, all of which surprised me. They're powerful red spells that often can close up a game when played at the right time.
You're kind of weak on draw. Mind's Eye and Scroll Rack are your best colorless options probably, and red is the color of Wheels. Try Wheel of Fortune and friends: they're what make my Judgment Day: Avacyn the Purifier EDH deck tick (comments and +1s appreciated!).
Happy deckbuilding! :)
1 year ago
Shared Animosity, definitely.
Mutavault doesn't seem so good here, it's technically another goblin creature, but meh. don't like Dormant Volcano either. Having basic mountains aren't too bad in this kind of pure red deck. Hmm... Go through your land again. There's some non-basic lands you don't really need. Myriad Landscape is recommended.
Blood Moon works! Especially with goblin king. But even by itself, it slows your opponent's down greatly!
As always, I'd recommend my home boy Purphoros, God of the Forge for that extra win.
1 year ago
Had a testing day yesterday, updated the deck list, these are the changes:
- Ingot Chewer
- Flametongue Kavu
- Dormant Volcano
- Pristine Talisman
- Fire Diamond
- Ruby Medallion
- Unstable Obelisk
- Myr Sire
- Past in Flames