|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Dormant Volcano enters the battlefield tapped.
When Dormant Volcano enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you return an untapped Mountain you control to its owner's hand.
: Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Dormant Volcano Discussion
3 days ago
I'd drop some of the following lands just for more basics: Dormant Volcano, Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Smoldering Crater. I'll understand if you keep the Urza lands, but I'm not a huge huge fan. You could consider also adding Arch of Orazca, and Maze of Ith.
Just as a start.
1 week ago
replace your tap lands with bounce lands. i wish there was a landfall commander in three colors, because then you could trigger landfall as many times as you're allowed to drop lands with burgeoning it's hard to hit every land drop, but with bounce lands, you can trigger landfall and get a land back in hand, without losing any tempo and gaining you card advantage. Gruul Turf Dormant Volcano Jungle Basin
1 month ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
3 months ago
Goblin Rabblemaster, Metallic Mimic, Obelisk of Urd, Goblinslide, Stoneforge Masterwork, Door of Destinies, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Chaos Warp, Cavern of Souls, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Homeward Path, Dormant Volcano, Smoldering Crater, High Market, Ruby Medallion, Thaumatic Compass Flip, Buried Ruin, Sea Gate Wreckage, Field of Ruin are some ideas to flesh things out a bit! +1
Keep in mind you can include cards you want but dont have (due to financial constraints) as a way to test them out and see if theyre even worth buying. To keep track you can also include them in the acquire portion (where you can decide whether Card is being put main or side or maybe board) that only you can see, and periodically you can click them to see the TCGPlayer price. Just a thought, I also sometimes put cards I dont own in mainboard (to playtest and avoid repeat suggestions) as well as maybeboard and in description note that cards in both spots arent yet owned.
4 months ago
Dinosaur Tribal is one of the more difficult decks to build and I have not built it myself, but if it runs anything like a Mayel Beast Tribal the only real glaring omissions are Defense of the Heart and Wild Pair to replace some of the more vanilla creatures like Bonded Horncrest
There are some other nice cheat and tutor cards Quicksilver Amulet, Rishkar's Expertise, Tooth and Nail, Natural Order, Deathrender, and Cryptic Gateway but a few land tutoring spells like Explosive Vegetation or Land Tax may work better with your commander.
With only 2 Basic Mountains in the deck, Dormant Volcano can be replaced with a basic land.
5 months ago
Seeing as your deck is budget, I'll try to keep the suggestions under $3. I just made a BoBo deck, so here's a few cards that have been great for me.
Swiftfoot Boots, Journeyer's Kite, and Firewild Borderpost are all amazing for BoBo as well, either putting him online faster, or giving more fuel and making it more consistant to cast your spells even with a land light draw if you're unlucky.
Soul's Majesty, and Rishkar's Expertise can both draw you a tonne of cards with BoBo, and the latter even lets you cast another spell for free. I also like Realms Uncharted, but it's better in my build than this one due to a higher non-basic land count. Any lands with Cycling are also great, as they can give you extra card draw if you don't need the damage, or need to dig for answers.
Keen Sense and Snake Umbra a sooooooo goooood in this deck, allowing you to draw a card anytime a land goes to the face of an opponent. These 2 cards are probably 2 of the most powerful effects in the deck, with the latter actually protecting BoBo as well.
Hope any of this is helpful, and doesn't break the bank too bad.
1 year ago
try using Dormant Volcano instead of haveing twenty two mountains u could drop it to around 18-16 and it will work for u because u run artifacts
1 year ago
- Quest for Pure Flame (building it up is really easy and busting it makes Purphoros even scarier for a turn)
- Firecat Blitz (cast it the first time to take someone out an flashback it to end the rest of the table)
- Elemental Appeal (9 mana for 14 damage after someone has cleared the board isn't too shabby)
- Grinning Ignus<- please add this ( + to get it started, for each time you want to do it again and you have a neat mana dump for Purphoros)
- Emrakul's Hatcher (nets you 4 creatures and mana refund)
- Skittering Invasion (same idea, with Purphoros out it's a neat 10 damage spell that offers mana refund)
- Orochi Hatchery (dump some mana in it and you are good to go)
- Trading Post for the goats mostly
- Spawning Pit recycling tokens is good for the environment.
- Portcullis locks the battlefield with 2 creatures total (note that it still allows ETBs to happen before exiling the cards, so it basically works as a shell until someone destroys it... and you get the ETBs once more)
Clear a board
- Magmaquake (boardwipe at instant speed... requires a lot of mana, but it shouldn't be too hard)
- Sudden Demise (allows you to get rid of those pesky hexproof shenanigans)
- Boompile (unreliable? Yes. But scary nevertheless. Might stop/slow down people from building up a mighty boardstate)
- Dormant Volcano (neat artwork, nice effect)
- Khalni Gem allows you to replay 2 lands (consider it a 2 mana investment since it costs 4, but gives 2 back immediately)
- Burnished Hart is underrated.
- Choose three: Hedron Archive, Commander's Sphere, Mind Stone, Worn Powerstone, Sol Ring
- Hoarding Dragon (4/4 flying for isn't bad. And if/when it dies you get the treasure)
- Staff of Nin (an old favorite of mine and allows you to ping some damage)
- Avaricious Dragon (just don't cast it when you have a full hand and you should be fine with a 4cmc 4/4 flyer and some extra draw)
- Loreseeker's Stone (drawing 3 for ~ is quite good)
What I don't like/What to cut
- Dragon Mage
- Goblin Chirurgeon (you'd be better off with a
- Goblin Sharpshooter
- Goblin Warchief (cost reduction part is fine, but he isn't all that useful otherwise)
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser (i don't see you dealing with combat damage all that much)
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker is great, really, not indispensable for its price.
- Knollspine Dragon (IMO it's a terrible card for its mana cost and effect... and 4+USD? WTF)
- Magus of the Wheel
- Lightning Crafter
- Warchief Giant (yes, myriad is great, but he's so fragile...)
- Anger of the Gods (great card... in other formats)
- Mana Geyser (temporary mana isn't that good unless you have some place to dump it...)
- Goblin Bombardment isn't good enough
- Possibility Storm (? Is it there just as a disruption tool?)
- Battle Hymn (same thing as mana geyser. Even worse considering it depends on you having at least 3 creatures to generate any mana)
- Seething Song
- Smash to Smithereens (the damage is neglectable IMO. I'd rather go with Smash simply because it draws you a card back)
- Elixir of Immortality (is this even necessary here?)
- Vedalken Orrery also not needed IMO