|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Dormant Volcano enters the battlefield tapped.
When Dormant Volcano enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you return an untapped Mountain you control to its owner's hand.
: Gain .
Dormant Volcano Discussion
4 months ago
This is a challenging tribe to build around. I would recommend checking out Saffron Olive's video on finding the competitive advantage of your tribe. Also, Tomer built a phoenix tribal deck for Commander Clash not too long ago. Watch the end to see how he wins, because it's pretty great.
In terms of specific cards, I think Mana Echoes would go well, since you need a lot of mana to enable phoenixes. Thundermaw Hellkite could be good. Lose Temple of the False God and Dormant Volcano , though, because those are awful cards. The former because it's useless as a 3rd, 4th, or 5th land, and the latter because it's just asking to be strip-mined and is both slow and makes colorless mana.
Finally, you might want to consider adding a second color. For example, in blue, you gain access to Favorable Winds , Gravitational Shift (It's freaking Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite in your deck), Sprite Noble , Stormtide Leviathan , Windstorm Drake , Warden of Evos Isle , Windreader Sphinx , Kindred Discovery , Call to the Kindred , Distant Melody , Mistform Warchief , Faces of the Past , Riptide Shapeshifter , Saheeli's Artistry , Sakashima's Student , Sakashima the Impostor , Metamorphic Alteration , Phantasmal Image , Clone , Quicksilver Gargantuan , Protean Raider , Mirror Image , Gigantoplasm , Stunt Double , Clever Impersonator , Dack's Duplicate , Phyrexian Metamorph , Coastal Piracy , and Bident of Thassa .
In white, you get Archon of Redemption , Energy Storm , Magus of the Moat (and Moat if you have unlimited money), Radiant, Archangel , Serra Aviary , Soulcatcher , Spirit of the Spires , Harsh Mercy , Shared Triumph , Kindred Boon , Mirror Entity , Radiant Destiny , . Going into Jeskai also gives you Teferi's Moat and Thunderclap Wyvern .
9 months ago
I see what you're going for, and I appreciate it. Here's some thoughts I had that might help:
First off, Chaos Warp is just really good removal, which this deck lacks at the moment.
As nice as Foriysian Totem is as a mana rock/blocker, I think Silent Arbiter would be a better option. It's great for slowing down the game when you need to slow it down, and you can just pop it with one of your artifact destroyers when it's your turn to go in.
If you can afford it, I'd cut Sokenzan Spellblade and replace it with Daretti, Scrap Savant. You have enough artifacts that I think it would be worth the slot. Hell, with the prevalence of artifacts, you could even run Hellkite Tyrant as a surprise, cheeky wincon for when you've not been able to properly set up your wall of attackers.
As amazing as Dualcaster Mage is, idk if he runs enough Instants/Sorceries for it to be worth it. Like yeah you can copy Starstorm or Chain Reaction for the big boy damage, but you could produce a similar result (with repetition even) by running Pyromancer's Goggles. Like yeah you could copy Scour from Existence or Wild Swing as well, but idk.
In my opinion, Dormant Volcano is always a bad land. Mathematically, the benefit of DV is the same as if you ran another basic land. However, I think this deck is actively hurt by its inclusion. You use Snow-Covered Mountain for triggering so many different effects like Goblin Charbelcher and Glacial Crevasses so having to sacrifice one for a land that doesn't even come in untapped is just not good.
Overall, solid list! I like the strategy.
10 months ago
I think your deck relies too heavily on Omnath’s Landfall ability to make elementals, so I would recommend taking out some of the ramp spells and artifacts and putting in a few more elemental creatures and elemental generators. I would suggest:
Additionally, these would increase the or enable the damage dealt by Omnath’s abilities:
You have a lot of ramp spells, but there are defiantly some better ones you might want put in instead of the some of the ones you have are:
Bounce lands and sac lands would work really well here as well:
I would also recommend:
1 year ago
I'd drop some of the following lands just for more basics: Dormant Volcano, Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Smoldering Crater. I'll understand if you keep the Urza lands, but I'm not a huge huge fan. You could consider also adding Arch of Orazca, and Maze of Ith.
Just as a start.
1 year ago
replace your tap lands with bounce lands. i wish there was a landfall commander in three colors, because then you could trigger landfall as many times as you're allowed to drop lands with burgeoning it's hard to hit every land drop, but with bounce lands, you can trigger landfall and get a land back in hand, without losing any tempo and gaining you card advantage. Gruul Turf Dormant Volcano Jungle Basin
1 year ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
1 year ago
Goblin Rabblemaster, Metallic Mimic, Obelisk of Urd, Goblinslide, Stoneforge Masterwork, Door of Destinies, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Chaos Warp, Cavern of Souls, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Homeward Path, Dormant Volcano, Smoldering Crater, High Market, Ruby Medallion, Thaumatic Compass Flip, Buried Ruin, Sea Gate Wreckage, Field of Ruin are some ideas to flesh things out a bit! +1
Keep in mind you can include cards you want but dont have (due to financial constraints) as a way to test them out and see if theyre even worth buying. To keep track you can also include them in the acquire portion (where you can decide whether Card is being put main or side or maybe board) that only you can see, and periodically you can click them to see the TCGPlayer price. Just a thought, I also sometimes put cards I dont own in mainboard (to playtest and avoid repeat suggestions) as well as maybeboard and in description note that cards in both spots arent yet owned.
1 year ago
Dinosaur Tribal is one of the more difficult decks to build and I have not built it myself, but if it runs anything like a Mayel Beast Tribal the only real glaring omissions are Defense of the Heart and Wild Pair to replace some of the more vanilla creatures like Bonded Horncrest
There are some other nice cheat and tutor cards Quicksilver Amulet, Rishkar's Expertise, Tooth and Nail, Natural Order, Deathrender, and Cryptic Gateway but a few land tutoring spells like Explosive Vegetation or Land Tax may work better with your commander.
With only 2 Basic Mountains in the deck, Dormant Volcano can be replaced with a basic land.
Dormant Volcano occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%