|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Demon
When Abhorrent Overlord enters the battlefield, put a number of 1/1 black Harpy creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield equal to your devotion to black. (Each in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to black.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (32)||Caldazar , Fiolek , Wolfebladeelite , hwagner , sonnet666 , gildan_bladeborn , bradyofportdetroit , redlegs_17 , REV666 , Tiddilywinkus , ZombieFood , EliGjerdingen , pskinn01 , Lindough , Wolfninja , saj0219 , miracle , the.beanpole , Regulus1010 , Dr_Jay , thetechzombie , Riders_of_Brohan , MattN7498 , rakdos24 , golgarigirl , vashaclarens , Va1mar , shinobigarth , PTsmitty , Brandbrower21 , DrLitebur , Big-Foot|
Abhorrent Overlord Discussion
1 week ago
Good land ramp
Remove two counters and it's a power 1 or less creature that draws you a card!
Scry is almost carddraw!
Protection for your commander.
Good land to add
Makes daemons. Nice right?
Makes people think twice
you have a lot of black symbols
I think you might need more carddraw.I recommend 6-8 drawcards
one of the better draws
draws you a card every turn
multiple per turn if you're feeling it.
Drain a lot of people so you can fuel your carddraw
If you have too much mana, carddraw!
a really annoying card for your opponent.
Free token every turn?
Bring creatures back. then kill them, them bring them back!
bring big creatures back!
You like killing your own things right?
You can kill your own creatures and get carddraw
1 week ago
Considering your deck's theme, I'd suggest making the following cuts:
- Abhorrent Overlord; there are cheaper ways to generate tokens
- Blood Tyrant; nice creature but doesn't seem to fit in this deck's theme
- Malfegor; this fits better into a Nekusar wheel-deck
- Prince of Thralls; expensive to cast and most players will pay the three life anyway if they think you're getting something that makes you too strong.
- Rakshasa Gravecaller; too expensive CMC for what it does.
- Rune-Scarred Demon; tutoring is always nice, but there are cheaper ways to do this; consider adding Beseech the Queen instead.
- Sepulchral Primordial; nice but imho too expensive to cast for what it does.
- Triskelion; sure, it goes infinite with Mikaeus, the Unhallowed on the table. But every player in the world knows this and as soon as either Mikaeus or Trisk enters the field, you can be pretty sure every player using blue or red will have counterspells waiting for the other half of the combo. Even worse, opponents will often let you use your tutors to get the other half of the combo, and then counter your casting of the combo piece; which results in you losing your tutor for nothing.
As for additions:
- Burnished Hart and Solemn Simulacrum; much needed ramp for this color combination;
- Gravecrawler; bit expensive to buy, but very handy considering your sac theme;
- Cemetery Reaper; pours on GY-hate, gives all your zombies a bonus AND produces relatively cheap tokens, what more could you ask for?
- Lich Lord of Unx; nice token generator;
- Nightscape Familiar; nice, cheap utility creature that you can regenerate;
- Undead Alchemist; more GY-hate and another nice token generator to boot.
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet; one of the best creatures you could add, but he's a bit expensive ...
- Lord of the Undead; also a bit expensive, but the bonus and that recursion could really be worth it.
While we're on the topic of getting more bang for your buck, I'd also suggest getting rid of all of your sorceries, except for Chainer's Edict and Diabolic Tutor. In their stead I'd suggest some cheap counterspells and removal, Barter in Blood and some more zombie-token generator spells like Syphon Flesh and Dark Salvation. Also, add some more ramp if you can, like Commander's Sphere.
2 weeks ago
Alright, you have quite a bit of enter the battlefield triggers going on here. So maybe Panharmonicon? For recursion purposes Rune-Scarred Demon, Abhorrent Overlord and Disciple of Bolas are decent. And since you have token gen, consider cards to hurt your opponents with creature sac like Mind Slash, Attrition, and gravepact all give a large degree of control. Lastly, consider Hell's Caretaker.
1 month ago
Black Market, Falkenrath Noble, Flesh Carver, Loyal Cathar Flip, Maalfeld Twins, Murder Investigation, Pious Evangel Flip, Return to the Ranks, March of Souls, Nether Traitor, Phyrexian Plaguelord, Killing Wave, Spirit Bonds, Meekstone, Kjeldoran Outpost, Nomads' Assembly, Sidisi, Undead Visier, Martial Coup, Secure the Wastes, Adarkar Valkyrie, Archdemon of Unx, Ophiomancer, Stronghold Assassin, Carrion Feeder, Mortician Beetle, Army of the Damned, Abhorrent Overlord, Requiem Angel, Cauldron of Souls, Call to the Grave, Vampiric Rites
2 months ago
So I agree with kham in that you're a little ramp light, but that's fine. If you are willing to make some cuts, there are some very obvious non-Bo's in your decks which can be replaced with cheap ramp. You have several token creators, so Virulent Plague isn't the best in your deck. Replace it with Cultivator's Caravan or Darksteel Ingot for some early ramp. Indulgent Tormentor is a good card, but not really needed because you seem to be a sacrifice deck and he makes your opponents sack creatures rather than you. You can replace him with Hedron Archive or Dreamstone Hedron very easily. Some other cards you could cut for better ones include Cartouche of Ambition and Painful Lesson, and you could replace them with more important cards like Zulaport Cutthroat or more ramp like Charcoal Diamond. This will make your deck slightly more consistent and help you get your fatties like Mikaeus, the Unhallowed and Abhorrent Overlord much faster. Hope this was helpful in some way!
3 months ago
Awesome!!! I have a Sheoldred deck thats very similar. I call mine "Shelly" lol. Abhorrent Overlord is pretty cool. I've found that getting Chainer, Gray merchant, and a sac outlet lets you set up massive "chains" sac the merchant then bring him out with chainer rinse and repeat. +1 for joining the dark side.
3 months ago
Yeah, I agree- I much prefer synergies than just the "good stuff". What do you think about Cathars' Crusade? You flicker any of the token generators (Captain of the watch, for example) and your whole board gets 3 counters each? Or maybe you flicker an Abhorrent Overlord with some devotion? esp at the end of turn before yours... And since all the tokens come in at the same time, they all see each other to trigger off one another...
could be pretty good.
3 months ago
As long as you're doing monoblack with lots of black devotion and Swamps, I would also recommend Korlash, Heir to Blackblade, Nightmare, Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Nightmare Lash, Squelching Leeches, Abhorrent Overlord, Erebos, God of the Dead, Mogis's Marauder, and Sanguimancy.
I think you would have a lot of success in this deck if you made it a little more Voltron-y around Drana. ★★★☆☆ Let me know what you think of the suggestions. Good luck.