|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Rise of the Eldrazi (ROE)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Search your library for up to four land cards with different names and reveal them. An opponent chooses two of those cards. Put the chosen cards into your graveyard and the rest into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Realms Uncharted Discussion
1 day ago
Thanks for checking out my list!
- By running pretty much all of the non basic tutors (though I do want to swap out Realms Uncharted for an Hour of Promise so I'm not giving any choice to an opponent), grabbing Cradle isnt hard. From there mana isnt a huge issue unless wraths are a thing, which in my typically 1v1 meta isnt really. In multiplayer I could probably swap some of the artifact hate out (relying on the other 2 players to help on that front), to include some of the heavier hitting ramp spells.
- Kinda the same. Since my combos unfortunately need a lot of slots, I've had to cut somewhere. 37 lands is still plenty. Getting screwed doesnt not happen, but its not frequent. At least from my experience. Maybe variance will rear its head and I'll get my comeuppance with a long streak of being screwed.
- I do plan on getting a Taiga in the near-ish future, funds are a thing at the moment though. This is my actual paper list, one of the big reasons why I havent posted it to that tapped out tier list as an example to bump them up to tier 3. I understand the combo is janky and too slow for high end play, but from my experience the tier 4 description that starts with "weak" doesnt apply either. If cedh fast combo decks are defined as turns 3-5 wins, this deck is easily in the 5-7, sometimes 8 range. Thats not weak, its just not the strongest either. On the times I have done multiplayer the deck has done surprisingly well even at tier 2 tables (even before I got my cradle), but I also understand variance from meta to meta is a thing so I'm not aiming exceptionally high on that front. 3 feels right, but again this deck isnt technically fully optimized.
- Vesuva is in the side board, and I have used it. It does find a place in the deck, right now the Stage is doing a bang up job for me though.
- Yes, as explained in one of my sections the wilds and expanse are place holders for the big daddy fetches. Again, funds.
- Ghost Town... I see that as using Gruul Turf's slot as it bounces itself, even though you run both (you run more lands in general). But the turf generates more mana and its colored, so imo its better. I'd need to playtest to change my mind on that. Maze of Ith... my typically 1v1 meta is against another combo deck, Arcum. Arcum doesnt attack, so thats probably maybe board material and meta dependent. Homeward Path is nice though. Worth considering if I get into more multiplayer games against more control decks or that surprise blowout in red. Wasteland... I have Strip Mine, currently dont feel like I need the redundancy. I feel a lot of these may be meta considerations to be honest.
Looking at your list, your average cmc is much higher. That may be where your mana concerns for my deck come from. It may not seem like much, but the difference between 4.1 and 2.71 is absolutely monstrous; even at the 3.2 my deck once was at I felt it was way too slow, and even though Hour of Promise is better than Realms Uncharted part of me really loathes the idea of increasing my average cmc by even that small amount.
You also seem to have gone for a much stronger land destruction package, presumably to slow everyone else down so your average cmc isnt as big a hurdle. I've thought about going that route too, but decided to make the janky combo as good as it could be. I just dont have the space to do a land destruction/control package proper imo.
Again, thanks for stopping by!
1 month ago
Tree of Perdition would do that. Actually all cards that set a player's life total to a certain low value are kinda fun ways to win. I mean you don't really win on the spot but dropping from 40 to 10 life in the early game is still bad for them.
A really cool way to win would be to go to 0 life yourself, prevent losing, then exchange your life total with someone else's. This can be done with Lich and then Soul Conduit or Repay in Kind. The BBBB of Lich are abit tough in a 3 colour deck, but with Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and stuff like that you can probably pull it off in a casual meta. Another way to go to 0 life and not lose would be Phyrexian Unlife and cards that generate a lot of value in exchange for life, such as Necropotence or Ad Nauseam.
The only problem is that this colour combination has no really good commander that does something for such a strategy. There are only 5 legends in GBW, maybe your best choice here will be Doran, the Siege Tower.
1 month ago
DudelRok: Thanks for taking time to look at my deck, I am always open to new suggestions. I'll talk a bit about each of the cards you recommended for the list.
Drownyard Temple is useful but there is no need for it in the deck. It can give you value in grindy games, but this is a fast combo deck so a colorless land that doesn't ramp you and isn't part of the combo is not worth it.
Helldozer is about as casual a card as they come. Anything over 3 cmc has to be game winning or a combo piece to be worth including in the deck. Definitely not worth it.
Bitter Ordeal is a decent wincon for the deck. Due to the nature of the combo though, we only need a single sorcery speed wincon and I think Praetor's Grasp is the best card for the slot. It has the most utility outside of the combo and can randomly mise games against certain focused combo decks (like other Gitrog decks). You could definitely run Bitter Ordeal instead, but you probably don't want both.
Retreat to Hagra is a terrible card and not a strong wincon. This style of card does nothing to help the combo and is completely unnecessary to win once the combo is going. Because the combo draws your entire deck, you don't need much wincon redundancy and there is no need to run wincons that are not good on their own.
Last Laugh see Retreat to Hagra
Realms Uncharted is a card that has seen play in the deck before. It is a decent tutor for Dakmor Salvage but it costs 3 mana. It is nice that it is an instant, but I have found that there is no need to be running any of the 3 drop tutors (except Praetor's Grasp which is a wincon). In the more midrange version of the deck this card is a powerhouse. It is by no means a bad card, I may even put it in the maybeboard so people know it is worth considering.
1 month ago
punkrawkmonkey I hadn't thought about including Tooth and Nail. While it's clearly a great form of tutoring and cheating, I'm not sure I need it already having Survival of the Fittest or that what I would take out for it. On the other hand, this would be a backup if my Buried Alive gets countered one way or the other. I'll consider getting this.
LVL_666 Razaketh, the Foulblooded certainly caught my eye when HOU came out. He could potentially be a replacement if a big threat like Avenger of Zendikar, Terastodon, etc. wind up not working out. I haven't had much of an issue with sacrificing creatures due to my meta, my opponents tend to be doing it for me most of the time. So, that would seriously hamper him.
freakingShane That's a lot of helpful information! Thank you!
I defintitely want to get an Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers in there. I would take out a swamp for Urborg, easy enough, and a forest for the Cabal Coffers. I could make these part of a 'Birthday gift' to myself.
I had no idea about the Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord combo with Phyrexian Devourer and the stack. Going to have to explain that one to the playgroup once I pull that off. I will add him back in it's just a matter of what to take out now.
Realms Uncharted another card I didn't know about. Out of all my matches so far I've used Life from the Loam only once. Perhaps it was because I wasn't aware of this combo. Up until this point I was considering removing it.
Smokestack and the stax element was something I was considering as well. Awakening Zone, Pawn of Ulamog, Avenger of Zendikar, and any creature brough back EOT with Meren would make this pretty good. I have a sealed From the Vault Annihilation on my bookshelf that I may have to open up.
Yahenni, Undying Partisan would really have staying power. I could take out one of my artifact / enchantment removal creatures for him.
- zaerox12345 You're absolutely right. I got jaded from one of my earlier games where Scourge of Nel Toth was cheated in to win the game for me. Otherwise in hand it's a 7 CMC 6/6 with flying. Nothing to special considering it would not be the target of an early Buried Alive and provides no ETB effect. Good call here.
2 months ago
Other recommendations I have (I know, I should seriously stop, haha) are:
- Timepiece lets you get more self mill, but can respond to Bojuka Bog-effects, whereas Elixir is really only used in response to GY hate
- Might be good, as it can fetch up and immediately put out Mike & Trike
- Paired with Life from the Loam there are no drawbacks
- Could be good, if you have money to throw around (mainly referring to you, Demonic Tutor and Yawgmoth's Will...)
- Both provide levels of stax effects that could be incredibly useful, plus Smokestack, itself, is somewhat of a sac outlet that could help to add experience counters if needed
Board wipe after playing him, sac one of your creatures, he survives then potentially takes out one player in one swing
Additionally, he's just good and can be used as a sac outlet too
+1 for the name, description, and song. And again, I am terribly sorry for all of this and I will leave you alone now, haha.