Creature — Elemental
, Discard a land card: Living Twister deals 2 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker.
: Return a tapped land you control to its owner's hand.
Printings View all
|War of the Spark (WAR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Living Twister Discussion
1 week ago
Other notable cards could also be Borborygmos Enraged, Living Twister, Molten Vortex, Tectonic Reformation, and in this deck Dakmor Salvage would be a staple. Fetch lands are also good, they don't need to be the expensive ones but something like Blighted Woodland, Warped Landscape, and Myriad Landscape are very good budget options. Edge of Autumn, and Harrow are ones I forgot to mention as well.
1 month ago
Thanks for checking out the deck and for giving me some the tips! I gladly answer your questions:
- Tendershoot Dryad has been on the maybeboard for a long time, and I agree it would fit the deck perfectly. I really tried to add it, but I couldn’t find a good spot for it in the end :/. I kind of stopped trying after Field of the Dead satisfied my desire to add another token maker :).
- It is true that the deck wants to keep a low profile. However, that’s only until we are ready for a big explosive play! Omnath and baloth both provide that ability for explosiveness that I want with this deck. On average you should be able to get 2 lands out the turn you bring them out, which is already decent value if someone should indeed take it out. But their ceiling is pretty high combined with something like Scapeshift or Traverse the Outlands. So those 2 landfall creatures are not going anywhere :).
- I wrote about why I did not include Elvish Reclaimer in my M20 update. Short answer: it takes 3 turns before you can use the land you want, and that is too slow for what I want with this deck. I don’t think it compares that well with crop rotation, which gives you any land right now, untapped.
- Nissa's Pilgrimage is a bit too taxing for this deck as I only run 9 basics, and I don’t like that it doesn’t fix. In a similar vein, I valued Blighted Woodland over Myriad Landscape in this build, and there are no lands I want to cut for it atm.
- Castle Garenbrig is useful, but not necessary in this build. And unlike most other decks, every landslot here is super contested, so “useful” isn’t good enough to make the cut unfortunately :). Also, I don’t run that many creatures here.
- I don’t think Living Twister is all that good tbh. I agree that a commander deck should also function well without the commander, but that doesn’t mean it should always be able to do what the commander does. This deck has many paths to victory that do not require Mina and Denn.
- I got asked about Tempt with Discovery before. It is a fun card, but I personally don’t like that it is not reliable. Sometimes you might get lucky and get 4 lands, but most of the time I would get only one, ór my opponents do what they shóuld do and search for a strip mine and destroy the one land I actually wanted to get. The point is that there is no way to tell what you will get and I prefer reliability in my tutors.
- I used to run Kessig Wolf Run for a long time, but I removed it to test other lands. I assure you, the deck has plenty of staying power late game ;), but I agree it is a strong card to have access to. Maybe it will find it’s way back someday.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts! I’ve been thinking to add a section to the primer to talk about cards that I did not include. Maybe I will start that soon :). I will also have a look at your modified deck list at a later time.
1 month ago
HeyBeebles awesome deck and primer I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
I was thinking if the goal of the deck is to be unassuming would Tendershoot Dryad be a better fit than Omnath, Locus of Rage or Rampaging Baloths (I know blasphemous right) which are traditionally kill on sight targets for any land deck opponent. In addition the lack of haste or sac outlet enablers it feels like omnath is a sitting duck.
Another question would be why isn’t Elvish Reclaimer in the main board, yes it takes a turn to get going but a Crop Rotation effect is invaluable to up the consistency of the deck (especially during draw go turns)
Is there an argument to add Castle Garenbrig green ramp since most of your creatures are green, Living Twister a commander deck should be able to function without its commander and this mirrors M&D’s bounce ability, Tempt with Discovery vs Traverse the Outlands any land into play seems huge, Kessig Wolf Run Gives the deck late game staying power when even Dryad Arbor can swing for lethal
I’ve got an edited version on your list on my profile if you’re interested in taking a look
Thanks for the awesome deck!
3 months ago
I like Mina and Denn a lot, I play it in my Gruul Modern Landfall deck and it is fantastic, but I have mixed feelings about it here because it's not an elemental. Living Twister on the other hand is interesting, I'll give it a try.
3 months ago
4 months ago
Great suggestion; definite include!
7 months ago
Legendary_penguin_of_death - Thank you I'm glad you like it so much! I do think that is a good suggestion. I'm not entirely sold on Living Twister as I think the body is good but the abilities are a bit mana intensive at times. Chandra, Acolyte of Flame is a little more important as those 1/1's get me some great value out of Risen Reef and Overgrowth Elemental , but I can see cutting one of them to include Thunderkin Awakener s, which I will change in the deck to playtest.
You are right that with the shocklands, mono red will be a difficult matchup. The main reason I included Overgrowth Elemental was to put some lifegain in the deck as during playtesting a lot of people would kill the Risen Reef s and Omnath, Locus of the Roil s, and so I wanted to get some value out of that. Similar decks do not include Overgrowth Elemental and I've seen many play a full playset of Chandra's Embercat s instead. I have to continue to playtest to see how well Overgrowth Elemental works against mono red, but I may end up including some Healer of the Glade s. I used it in my initial iteration of the deck but I cut them after I realized Runaway Steam-Kin was an elemental.
Thank you for the suggestions and enthusiasm, I appreciate it!
7 months ago
This is a very good list! I had the idea of playing an elemental aggro deck in mind and this is the best executed version I’ve seen so far! Right down to the mana base everything seems just about perfect.
With those cuts you could add the previously suggested Thunderkin Awakener
One deck I worry about the matchup against is mono red especially with all of the shock lands this deck is forced to play. Nothing in the sb seems to be specifically devoted to this match up. Healer of the Glade seems like it should be some number in the sb as it more than completely negates the effects of over half the cards in their deck.