Creature — Vampire
Sacrifice a creature: Bloodthrone Vampire gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Zendikar vs. Eldrazi (DDP)||Common|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Common|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Common|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Common|
|Rise of the Eldrazi (ROE)||Common|
|Promo Set (000)||Common|
Combos Browse all
- Blade of the Bloodchief + Bloodthrone Vampire
- Blood Artist + Bloodthrone Vampire + Gravecrawler
- Blood Artist + Bloodthrone Vampire
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Bloodthrone Vampire Discussion
MindAblaze on None
2 months ago
My first magic experience me and my two buddies were baked out of our trees, and it was Shards of Alara block. My buddy had a couple Shards decks built up, Naya Godsire, Jund Hellkite Overlord and Grixis Prince of Thralls and they all used the same mechanic with Demon's Herald et al. I honestly don’t remember the rest of the decks at all but by the end of the night my buddy was on top of the fridge taking a picture of the battlefield littered with these three clunky beginner decks. There’s a reason I value my Japanese foil Godsire so highly.
Bloodthrone Vampire was the centre of this janky aristocrats deck I built during Zendikar/Scars of Mirrodin for the Mirrodin Besieged Game Day, my first real build for a tournament. I remember running out the first day Rise of the Eldrazi was out between (or possibly instead of attending) my uni classes to specifically buy a playset of these vampires. Anyway, the deck also starred Abyssal Persecutor and Sarkhan the Mad, but the real power came from Act of Treason and the vampire. I stole just enough wins in a pre-Batterskull CawBlade world to Top 8 and still have my Black Sun's Zenith promo to show for it, which is another one of my favourite cards.
2 months ago
You are going to need more than 12 lands. Whenever I build a deck, I always start with 40 lands and then for every 3 pieces of ramp, which for a mono black deck would be a mana rock or swamp doubler or ritual spell like Dark Ritual, I remove a land.
Please retune the deck with 12 non-land mana sources and 36 swamps for starters and you can think of non-swamp lands you want to include later.
My suggestions for those sources are any 12 of the following, depending on your budget:
Songs of the Damned
Cabal Coffers <- could replace a swamp
Pristine Talisman <- defiantly want that
After that you've got the commander, which takes up 1 card slot, so that leaves you with 51 cards to choose from.
I see the bare beginnings of either an aristocrats or a reanimator deck. In my opinion you should push more for aristocrats. It can draw you tons of cards and gain you quite a lot of life. There's no harm in keeping some reanimation spells in there though.
You want a good number of sacrifice outlets. I haven't heard of what a hard number should be so I'd shoot for at least 5. Here's a list of some that I remember off hand:
Infernal Tribute <- has a funny synergy with Spine of Ish Sah
Altar of Dementia
Disciple of Griselbrand
Lampad of Death's Vigil
For this strategy you'll need recurring creatures or token generators
Bridge from Below
Open the Graves
Blood Artist is a staple
Plunge into Darkness is something you might want for the pure lifegain of 3 per creature you sacrifice. Not sure that you want to use the "exile a bunch of your deck" too often.
Shadows of the Past
and so forth. I'd look through some already built aristocrats decks to see exactly whether you want to take that strategy.
Oh yeah, for utility lands I'd choose any of the following within your price range:
Geier Reach Sanitarium
4 months ago
Dictate of Erebos is another Grave Pact. Triskelion is infinite with Mikaeus. Ashnod's Altar and Nim Deathmantle go infinite with Wurmcoil Engine and are just all around excellent to have. They also go infinite with Mikaeus and Kokusho, the Evening Star which is another all around good card in general for this deck. Bloodthrone Vampire is another excellent sacrifice outlet. Also High Market deserves a land slot.
Excellent first draft.
4 months ago
Alright, so i have some spare time currently and will try to give you some more advice.
Dead Man's Chest - Funny card, but not really on theme with your deck as far as i can see
Path of Bravery - Does to little imo, but i have never seen it in play, so it may overperform
Skymarcher Aspirant - Even if you have ascent, its only a 2/1 flyer for one mana
Paladin of Atonement - Same reasoning as for Path of Bravery
Bloodcrazed Paladin - The fact that it does not have trample makes it a lot worse than one might think
Queen's Commission - Not a bad card, but one of the weaker ones imo
I think you are running too few sacrifice outlets, especially since you are a vampire tribal and need creatures to die for your commander. You already have Yahenni, Undying Partisan, but there are also Viscera Seer, Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar, Altar of Dementia, Blood Bairn, Anowon, the Ruin Sage, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Indulgent Aristocrat, Voldaren Pariah Flip and Bloodthrone Vampire (No particular oder, but free sac outlets like Viscera Seer are great!)
I really like your deck idea and think that you already are on a great way. If i were you i would abondon the life gain theme and focus more on being an aristocrat deck since your commander heavily suggest you to do so (and also because it is really powerful), but i guess lifegain is more flavourfull with Vampires :)
Good luck with your deck!
6 months ago
6 months ago
Red_X I made some changes inspired by your comment, I think I may be missing something as it still takes until about turn 8 to reliably win on one turn and it's with less damage. to defend some of my original List however, Risen Reef because it is an enter the battlefield effect combos nicely with Journey to Eternity Flip or Supernatural Stamina and being able to play the land directly seemed to bring more benefit than Elvish Visionary and the splash generally had no downsides. Blisterpod and Risen Reef would often allow me to play Liliana, Dreadhorde General on turn 4 or 5. I do greatly agree with Blood Artist, Bloodthrone Vampire, and Immortal Servitude. I'm working on bringing the deck from a more casual speed to a competitive modern speed, and would love to be reliably going wide with tokens by turn 4 in order to rogues passage Bloodthrone Vampire for lethal on turn 5. I also have an attachment to Parallel Lives but it does often slow me down, do you know of a card with similar effects (maybe Sifter of Skulls) but is actually cheaper and legal in modern?
6 months ago
So, I have a few critiques of the deck if you're trying to make it competitive. If this is just for fun with friends or you don't want to get other cards, feel free to ignore all of this.
1) Why Arboreal Grazer? You only run 22 lands so it's often dead, and I think it would often be better as a mana dork or something else.
2) Risen Reef seems strange to me. I don't think it's bad, but once again you only have 22 lands and it's your only elemental, so it's almost always a 3 mana Elvish Visionary that makes you splash for blue. If you had more elementals or more lands it might make sense (and I don't think you need more lands)
3) Liliana is way above the rest of your curve here. You're only going to be able to cast her on turn 6 less than half the time (assuming you've drawn at most 2 extra cards and your 6th land wasn't a tap land), and she's not enough to get you back into the game after a board wipe, which is what you want planeswalker to do in this type of small creature deck.
4) Parallel lives is a win more card and is going to be stuck in your hand or slow you down most of the time. It only works with Blisterpod, Liliana, and Hangarback Walker, and the third one is the only time it's relevant (at which point you should porbably just max out on hangarback walker and find something else)
5) You're not playing enough copies of your best cards and/or you don't have a great way to utilize them. Bloodghast can be really good for the deck, but not when you're casting it for and when you only have one of them. If you want to run it, self mill or discard is a much stronger enabler, and would set up one of my later points. Additionally, you're playing only 4 copies of your best win condition, when you could be playing 8: Blood Artist. You may only want 6-7 total copies, but blood artist also pings your opponent for their creatures dying, which helps when you're chumping against aggro. Bloodthrone Vampire can be copies 5-8, or just a better version, of Nantuko Husk for combo turns, although that extra point of toughness does matter if you're playing against a lot of Jund/prowess.
6) Have a way to just win the game. Changing up the mana base may be worth it to play Rally the Ancestors or Return to the Ranks, or you can just play Immortal Servitude without changing anything (Bloodthrone vampire, zulaport cuthroat, and blood artist all come back from an immortal servitude on 2). That lets you pay 5ish mana to bring back multiple drain/gain effects, a number of creatures (possible drawing extra cards if you bring in things like Elvish Visionary), and a sac outlet, and then dome your opponent for 8+ damage in one turn.
7) Night's whisper is a little strange in a deck trying to get a critical mass of creatures. Something like Elvish Visionary will probably suit you better. Supernatural Stamina similarly feels out of place, since you want to use all your mana each turn and often would prefer another creature to bringing back one that's about to die.
Feel free to use all of these suggestions, none of them, or pick and choose. I like where you're going with the deck, I just think it's a bit unfocused right now
6 months ago
TallKanz211 hello, to better explain the Ad-Naus/Grace combo, you cast Naus holding priority casting Grace, which means your opponents cannot interact. Once you draw your deck, you should be at 1 life. Then you can play out all the rocks in your hand and simply cast Sickening Dreams for the win. If that isn't available due to what transpired throughout the game, i.e mill, exiled cards, etc., you can win via infinite life getting infinite +1 counters on your commander or Carrion Feeder/Bloodthrone Vampire by sacing Leonin Relic-Warder from his death trigger on Animate Dead(this is infinite etb's) and move all of them to The Ozolith just to feed it to Walking Ballista and burning the table. Honestly, this might be better with Blood Artist and co, but I am testing for now.
You also have access to infinite mill using your altars and Leonin Relic-Warder.