|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Martyr of Sands
Creature — Human Cleric
(1), Reveal X white cards from your hand, Sacrifice Martyr of Sands: You gain three times X life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||Supremespeed , Doom_of_Valyria , dplerner , electrolynx , Psycheretic , slemulv , Mortiferus_Rosa , that_guy_43 , NorthernCrow , LoneCrusader399 , PerfectDisguise|
|Want (5)||sttmccln , EdenGardenz , hlnrog001 , holy_cow_2 , capriom85|
Martyr of Sands Discussion
3 weeks ago
Looks like a solid foundation for a Martyr Proc or Soul Sisters style deck, which is among the more legitimately competitive lifegain decks. That deck uses Proclamation of Rebirth to recur Serra Ascendant and Martyr of Sands, and Ranger of Eos and Squadron Hawk to keep cards in hand for those massive heals.
Core Set 2019 brought Resplendent Angel, which seems like a solid inclusion in any deck that gains a lot of life. If you include her, maybe Shalai, Voice of Plenty as protection and Lyra Dawnbringer to buff your new angels and give them lifelink? If not, Angel of Invention has lifelink, buffs all your creatures, and puts some 2/2 Servo bodies on the battlefield.
As a dedicated lifegain deck, you actually have a ton of options.
4 weeks ago
Shalai, Voice of Plenty is more of a sideboard card in my opinion to start and even then I would only personally run it as a one-of there. The list you have here is very much somewhere between the decks I mentioned earlier, taking some things from martyr proc and some from B/W tokens. My first suggestion though is to drop the soul sisters plan. It may seem weird I know but personally I have always found it much too slow for modern and they likely don't sit around long anyway, in their place I would run 4x Martyr of Sands, 2x Cast Down, 1x Wrath of God, 1x Oblivion Ring, and 1x Damnation. This is also assuming Shalai gets moved to the side. Ajani's Pridemate can also go with this setup, in it's place 1x Timely Reinforcements, 1x Gideon of the Trials, and 2x Sorin, Solemn Visitor can come in. The plan should be to gain enough life quickly to beat down with ascendant but to that end have a ton of removal characteristic to midrange to help this plan.
1 month ago
FadingLight Hey! I would be happy to, I am really busy with work so sorry if it takes a while but I am more than happy to. As for this deck, my problem with it is it is somewhere between Martyr of Sands + Proclamation of Rebirth and traditional B/W tokens. What is the plan, token aggro, or white control, this will help inform any suggestions I make.
1 month ago
I will definitely play some Path to Exile because having no removal at all is risky business. I might also play more Ranger of Eos or Archangel of Thune than Serra Ascendant, who is really only played in Soul Sisters lists if there is some number of Martyr of Sands as well. Should probably also trim the 4 Legion's Landing? My personal opinion. Cheers!
2 months ago
Soul Sisters isn't quite Rush and it can act like swarm if it has to. Usually it hits with 6/6 Flying Lifelink Turn 2 or swings with a 5/5 Ajani's Pridemate Turn 3 depending on the initial draw. Whitemane Lion shouldn't really be considered as a creature. Its more like a White Swan Song except I get the 2/2. It and Brave the Elements are there to dodge removal and the lion also has good interactions with Oketra's Monument and Soul Warden during the opponent's end step. Archangel of Thune is outside of my curve but if I add in another couple of lands it might be a good finisher.
I've tried using a fourth copy of Martyr of Sands. Its good as 4-of in Martyr Proc, but Soul Sisters style decks have less gas so its a dead draw after turn two.
The Arid mesas are strictly there for thinning the deck. Originally it would have been 4 x Flagstones of Trokair, but the current Legend Rule only destroys 1 not both so its the same net. They can probably afford to go.
Good Catch on the Lone Rider Flips I don't remember why they were there originally. They're a nonbo with Honor of the Pure and I've never actually sided them in since I built this deck. Rest in Peace is sounds like a pretty good call too depending on the meta. Guessing its to hose Grim Lavamancer, Snapcaster, Tarmagoyf, and Delve?
2 months ago
I'm not sure if Soul Sisters is meant to be a swarm and rush type of deck, which looks like what your deck is shaping up to be (with Oketra's Monument and to a lesser extent Whitemane Lion, as well as Brave the Elements). If you are looking to go large, you can consider some copies of Archangel of Thune and then just scrap the whole Monument/Lion package altogether.
I would also suggest, since you are playing Martyr of Sands in the first place, just play 4 copies of her. You always want the best possible chance to see her early. Ajani's Pridemate is likely to be your biggest beater too, so you should also play 4 of him. You can consider some copies of Auriok Champion as a better Soul Sister and she is much cheaper now too.
Not really sure why you have two random fetchlands in the list as well? Also, I think you can take out the 4 Lone Rider Flips in the sideboard because in what matchup do you think they fare better than any of your existing creatures, and what would you take them out for? I would rather you put in some Rest in Peace or something, you don't have any graveyard hate at all.
2 months ago
2 months ago
I like the way you categorize the two subarchetypes here. With the HEAVY caveat that I don't have that many reps with the deck yet, here are a few thoughts:
- Something to keep in mind when deckbuilding is that each non-White card we add to the 75 reduces the value of Martyr of Sands by 3 life, which in turn reduces the value of Serra Ascendant.
- For this reason, Rule of Law might be worth looking at vs. Damping Sphere, and Runed Halo (thought it's super-pricey) or additional Nevermores vs. Sorcerous Spyglass. There are obviously other tradeoffs in the cards too, so I'm not sure what would be best for your playstyle/meta/75. But it's maybe something to think about :-)
- I was running 3x Surgical Extraction in the side for a while and it saved my bacon a number of times. But I recently switched to Rest in Peace ... partly because it's a White card, but also because it barely hurts us post-board (since opponents almost always bring in Gravehate against us, making Proclamation of Rebirth dead in hand anyways). Here too, I'm not really recommending RIP over Extraction (especially since Extraction vs. Tron is sooooooo good); just throwing out some more thoughts ...
- A few other points on the Gideon package: The Gideons are very strong vs. Wrath effects and Planeswalkers (which can be a struggle otherwise). Also, Gideon of the Trials' Emblem can help vs. some Combo decks.
- Speaking of 'Walkers: I've tried Hex Parasite and it's very strong, but it suffers sometimes as a non-White card too. I'm on Flash-flyers lately, and Restoration Angel is my current favorite ... Archangel Avacyn Flip was good but a little too cute, and though I love Aven Mindcensor's effect I like Resto's bigger size.