Gaze of the Gorgon
((B/G) can be paid with either (Black) or (Green).)
Regenerate target creature. At end of combat, destroy all creatures that blocked or were blocked by that creature this turn.
Printings View all
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Gaze of the Gorgon Discussion
1 year ago
Love this deck... Thantis was a really cool card and I think this type of deck is the best way to play him.
1 year ago
Awesome deck, Damia is one of my favorite commanders. I specifically bought her in spanish because I feel like she just belongs in a south american temple deep in the jungle. I've been thinking about making my Damia deck less of a power deck and more flavorful and this has definitely given me some ideas. So here are some suggestions: Hedonist's Trove Gaze of the Gorgon (surprised that it wasn't already included) Mystic Snake Molting Snakeskin Also, just to remove some of the non-flavorful spots maybe you could add in some other cool looking half-beast creatures like Nighthowler that represent the children of Echidna (while she wasn't a gorgon she was depicted as being half-snake)
2 years ago
I think is a little bit slow, maybe you can replace Agent of Horizons for Llanowar Elves or something similar.
And maybe Blossoming Defense or Ranger's Guile for Gaze of the Gorgon and Mending Touch.
I think Apostle's Blessing can help, it protect your creatures and give them unblockeable when you need.
With Hidden Strings you can tap possible blockers or untap your own lands and you can play it again with cipher.
Other late games threats that you can consider are Living Hive and Stolen Identity.
3 years ago
Ah, I didn't even notice that lol. Maybe take out Aspect of Gorgon, Fog, Hornet Nest, Predator Ooze, Pharika's Mender, Gaze of Granite, Wasteland Viper, Archetype of Finality, Deadly Allure, and Gaze of the Gorgon, and add another Reaper of the Wilds?
4 years ago
Here are some pauper removal cards that would really help your deck from best to good. 1st place: Bone Splinters This card will demolish in your deck! It will kill so much the opponent will concede. Well, not really, but you get the point. You get to trade a scion with a giant creature. Awesome. 2nd: Gaze of the Gorgon This could really help by attacking with your spawns and then killing their bigger creatures. Finally, 3rd: Launch Party Although it is a lot more expensive, launch party does the same thing as bone splinters, but hits the opponent for 2. I guess it could help in a sideboard if the opponent is really overwhelming you with bigger creatures.
Yanu on Meren deck
4 years ago
Hello there,Personally I would cut
- Cloudthresher - he does nothing, except for killing flying tokens, only flying tokens
- Champion of Stray Souls - Sepulchral Primordial
- Deathrite Shaman - If you need ramp, make it as synergic with Meren as possible - Burnished Hart, Yavimaya Granger, Diligent Farmhand - all of these kill themselves, pumping your experience
- Great Oak Guardian - Craterhoof Behemoth
- Hag Hedge-Mage - This card isn't very good, especially in multiplayer pods
- Korozda Guildmage - This too
- Lotleth Troll - This card isn't really good in EDH
- Marrow Chomper - Green has better lifegain options, but life is not that important, you should scare away your opponents with giant creatures, so they dont attack you :)
- Mycoloth - Can be good in casual pools, but if you sacrifice your tokens to him and he eats a Path to Exile, you're in a very bad spot
- Pathbreaker Ibex - Craterhoof Behemoth
- Polluted Dead - Just nope.
- Reclamation Sage - If you want cards that kill themselves, there's Sylvok Replica and even Caustic Caterpillar
- Satyr Wayfinder - There are better ramp options
- Skullwinder - Why would you give anything to your opponents, when there is Reclaim, Restock and Noxious Revival?
- Spore Frog - While this can be useful in casual pods, it's always better to kill them before they can damage you :)
- Viridian Emissary - Look up to the Deathrite Shaman comment
- Wood Elves - If you plan on buying Overgrown Tomb it can stay, otherwise any of the Deathrite replacements or even Farhaven Elf is better.
From artifacts I'd toss:
- Thought Vessel - Reliquary Tower also does this, no need to duplicate
- Golgari Signet - If you have green, there's always something better than a signet
What should be instantly binned: (Get the pun?:D)
- Gaze of the Gorgon
- Golgari Charm - To protect your creatures, there are other options available, think Asceticism
- Grisly Salvage - If you wanna dig on a spell, try Hoarder's Greed or Dregs of Sorrow
- Tribute to the Wild - Since your general is all about reanimating creatures, keep this effect on a creature
What is this sorcery?:
- Barter in Blood - Black has plenty of removal that hurts your opponents more than you, In Garruk's Wake for example.
- Death Frenzy - Infest effects are generally bad in EDH
- Dread Summons - This card can be dangerous, as reanimation is popular in EDH, either be ready to purge your opponent's graveyards or bin it.
- Mulch - The effect is too weak
- Overwhelming Stampede - I prefer this effect on small Garruk
- Primal Growth - I would replace it with Far Wanderings, since it's all about graveyard sheaningans
- Sadistic Sacrament - Since you're gonna sac alot, try Bitter Ordeal
- Victimize - You already reanimate your graveyard, try stealing something from your opponents' (Rise from the Grave, Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead)
Now, for the replacements:
What I love about B/G decks, is the powerful package that Crop Rotation brings in: Mortuary Mire for returning a creature in a pinch, Glacial Chasm for protection, Blighted Fen for an edict, Bojuka Bog for instant graveyard purge to that pesky Mer... reanimator player and some other options.
And If you didn't fall asleep, don't forget the staples:
Tooth and Nail for instawins, Solemn Simulacrum for a birthing pod chain element and good value, Cauldron of Souls because in this deck, it's gonna be disgusting. Another good pod target would be Phyrexian Delver.
Remember to keep a few options for each CMC in the pod chain.