|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||None|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Each player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. For each creature card put into a graveyard this way, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped.
Dread Summons Discussion
2 months ago
Buried Alive , Dread Summons , Altar of Dementia , and Entomb could be good options to help fill graveyards with targets for Scarab or to help find cards that reanimate themselves, like Gravecrawler. Speaking of Gravecrawler, if you wanted an infinite combo, you could run Phyrexian Altar to combo with Gravecrawler and Diregraf Captain/Altar of the Brood/Plaguebelcher.
I'd probably cut Mastermind's Acquisition unless your playgroup is OK with you pulling in cards from outside of the game or a "wishboard".
I'd also cut Doom Blade for Fleshbag Marauder , to help you interact more against hexproof/indestructible creatures. Plus, it's a zombie. You might also want to run a bit more manarocks to ensure you can play your more expensive spells or get more Scarab activations per turn cycle.
Overall, the deck looks pretty good and I've been considering building Scarab for a while, and this is pretty similar to what I'd build.
3 months ago
I would add cards that give you advantage through all the sacrificing and creature removal you have going on. Dark Prophecy would be my first add, and you might be able to pretty easily trade for a $3 Midnight Reaper , being from a currently printed set, and if Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos are too pricey, Butcher of Malakir and Grim Haruspex could be good substitutes, especially since you have the means to reanimate him after a wrath. Black Market is a pretty unique effect, although Revel in Riches is a good win-con, if not as powerful on the mana-source side.
I would also look into adding Bojuka Bog . You might also want a little mill to speed things up, since you're light on win conditions. Dread Summons is a good late-game punch, while Ghoulcaller's Bell could be a good turn-1 play for a deck without a lot of early plays. It That Betrays could be a good win condition, too, if you're forcing sacrifices.
As for cuts, I don't think you have enough demons to consistently turn on Mark of the Oni . I would reconsider Ashes to Ashes , since you want reanimation targets, not to exile creatures. Mortuary Mire is a little weird, since you like to play things on the cheap from the yard, if anything, it's working backwards against what your deck wants to be doing. Wanderer's Twig and Traveler's Amulet . I feel like I'm missing something, but it makes no sense to me. Armillary Sphere , less so, but I would run Myriad Landscape and Isolated Watchtower first.
3 months ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
3 months ago
Dread Summons ought to be in here, as something that ticks both the zombie box and the milling box.
3 months ago
I think those are some really nice cuts, can't agree with you more except for one. Call to the Grave I would play, it's a decent card wich put's pressure on your opponents. Instead I would take out Geth, Lord of the Vault . If you don't have the money for Damnation then the more expensive Life's Finale is alright.
Things to cut for your counterspells, Dread Summons yes, Dark Salvation yes, Living Death no. The last one is really to good to cut, especially if you gonna keep your opponents graveyards empty of value with your commander. Grimgrin, Corpse-Born I would cut as well, since he wants to sac stuff, but your ethernalized creatures will be gone forever if you sac him to grimgrin. If you really need a sac outlet I would go for Yahenni, since she can survive boardwhipes.
Other slot's im not so sure about are: Midnight Reaper and i'm sorry Bontu's Monument The monument does not provide any bonus in activating your God more than once, only provides a discount on casting spells. A true mana rock would be a better choice for this slot, since it can be used for both! Mind Stone for example. The lifeloss the monument gives, your commander will provide as well. Don't forget about Paradox Haze wich gives you 2 upkeeps ;)
Hope this helps again! And you know where to find me if you want to discuss some more! :)
3 months ago
Ripwater, I Made some changes (and future changes) to the deck, but i still want to add a section of counterspells and might cut Dread Summons , Dark Salvation , Living Death and some Zombie (maye Rot Hulk , Grimgrin, Corpse-Born ? I should run at least 4 I believe.
3 months ago
Training Grounds is an auto include. You should not doubt about it.
Some cards I would add are:
- Paradox Haze This card speeds up the killing
- Negate Keeps away spot removal like Path to Exile
- Cryptic Command Multifunctional Counterspell
- Mystic Confluence Multifunctional Counterspell number 2
- Countersquall Dimir counter for noncreature, again protection for your god
- Disallow Wide counter and counters activated abilities
- Entomb Dumb any bomb in your graveyard and reanimate it
- Vampiric Tutor Toolboxing
- Demonic Tutor Toolboxing
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth / Cabal Coffers
- Necropotence Best card draw black has to offer. Especiialy Necropotence will refill your hand for maybe 4-5 life
- Vedalken Orrery / Leyline of Anticipation 2 allstars in scarab god. Makes your turns the following, draw and pass turn. Play everything before you take your turn. Most importantly keeps your mana open to target cards in the graveyard of opponents
- Consecrated Sphinx Not a zombie but too good to ignore.
- Damnation / Life's Finale / Decree of Pain / or any boardwhipe really. You need to fill up them graveyards!
- Phenax, God of Deception Filling up them Graveyards!
- Crypt Ghast Insane amount of mana, gives you more activations on your God
These are just some suggestion (I know they can be a problem budgetwise).
Things i would cut:
4 months ago
For lands, Cabal Stronghold doesn't make any sense. You're running 7 Basic Swamps. If you wanted to put in Cabal Coffers with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth , that could work, but I doubt you want to put your money there. Cascading Cataracts, Waterveil Cavern, Survivor's Encampment, Shimmering Grotto, Rupture Spire, Guildmage's Forum, and Gateway Plaza should be the next to go. You're running a 2-color deck, so you don't need such bad fixing. I'd also lose Everglades.
Nighthowler is the only really bad creature that I see, although you'll probably want more if you're on the self-mill plan. Triskaidekaphobia and Tree of Perdition are cute. I don't think I would run that, but if you're going to, run Clutch of the Undercity and Dimir House Guard to tutor up the pieces.
Spinal Embrace is a cool card, but it's pretty inefficient. For that kind of mana, you could be running Kindred Dominance , Crux of Fate , Deadly Tempest , Decree of Pain , Extinguish All Hope , or Life's Finale (I would go with this one, given your commander). Cancel is a no-go. Counterspell , Negate , Swan Song , Countersquall , Dissolve , Arcane Denial , Disallow , Sinister Sabotage and Dream Fracture should all be in the deck before Cancel.
Tome of the Guildpact is pretty bad in this deck. If you want rocks, you should be running Sky Diamond , Charcoal Diamond , Coldsteel Heart , Mind Stone , Thought Vessel , and Talisman of Dominance before you touch that or Darksteel Ingot in a 2-color deck. If you're looking for card draw, Phyrexian Arena , Syphon Mind , Fact or Fiction , Tidings , Sign in Blood , and Night's Whisper are all better.
If you wanna mill, Altar of the Brood , Mesmeric Orb , Dread Summons , Sphinx's Tutelage , Psychic Corrosion , Traumatize , Patient Rebuilding , Memory Erosion , and Whetstone are all more powerful than Millstone (though I do appreciate it's OG status).
If you want to see what other people are playing in their Scarab God decks, I recommend checking out the EDHREC page for him.
Dread Summons occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%