Each player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. For each creature card put into a graveyard this way, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped.
|Want (2)||Lastexile0 , mattilainen|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||None|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Dread Summons occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Dread Summons Discussion
3 months ago
If I don’t discuss a card, it’s because that card didn’t feel like a card I’d want to play, or I didn’t think it was a viable commander. If I miss any really good options for my commander or leader, please let me know.
Adun Oakenshield TL?
Gyrus, Waker of Corpses TL???
Xira Arien TL?
Honestly, looking through this list, most of these cards don’t appeal to me. That said, there were a few that could work if I really felt that I needed to go with Jund. First, Gyrus, Waker of Corpses is really interesting to me as a leader. I could use it as my commander, I guess, but it just isn’t that interesting as an effect to me. I want my commander to have more of an impact on the game than being big, and allowing me to reuse creatures for a turn. I like how it allows me to essentially dash in creatures from my graveyard, retriggering any enter the battlefield effects they may have, and another cool feature that Gyrus, Waker of Corpses has is that it doesn’t really lose value when I recast it from the command zone. I’d much rather spend 9 mana on an 9/9 than spend 12 mana on a 6/5 that’s only really worth 6 but I’m looking for a bit more in a commander, especially since I’ll probably be able to shuffle my graveyard into my library multiple times throughout the game. If I were to use a Jund commander, Gyrus, Waker of Corpses is there, but I know that there’s better commanders for me to choose from. As a leader, however, Gyrus, Waker of Corpses seems awesome. For one thing, he kind of breaks the 3 mana limit by having X in his cost, and bringing cards back from the graveyard is much more useful in a format that doesn’t have any Twilight's Call or Aphetto Dredging in it. For now, I think I’m going to move on, but I may come back to him later when I’m searching for my leader.
Kresh the Bloodbraided intrigues me. I can just imagine… Kresh the Bloodbraided is on the board. I also have a Dread Shade , and a Urabrask the Hidden out. My opponents have full boards with 4+ creatures each; the collective power of all my opponents’ creatures is something like 45. It’s my turn. I draw. GASP! In my hand, I now have Plague Wind . I cast it. SUDDENLY, all of my opponents’ creatures are gone except for one Seraph of the Suns (dang) and I have a 44/44 legendary human warrior, my 3/3 shade, and a praetor that makes all my opponents’ creatures enter tapped. Those are the kind of game-changing plays that I like. Kresh the Bloodbraided is definitely an interesting commander, but I really doubt that I’ll be using him, because besides Plague Wind and In Garruk's Wake , there aren’t any cards that really use him to his full potential. Unless there’s some way to destroy a lot of creatures in a short amount of time, he’ll never get very big, because a 10/10 is a threat that most players can kill and will kill before it becomes much bigger than that. So, Kresh the Bloodbraided just won’t be a very good commander 97.9% of the time (I calculated it) and, in the other 2.1% of games, I have the potential to dominate for a few turns until someone kills Kresh the Bloodbraided through literally any means other than damage, because Jund doesn’t have any decent counterspells besides Avoid Fate , and Regenerate isn’t a very good answer to Murder .
I like the sound of Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire , but without much mill in these colors (besides Altar of the Brood , Waste Not , and Dread Summons , but 3/99 cards isn’t enough to make a mill deck), I don’t see much of a reason to play it. Sure, if one of my opponents plays a Sensei's Divining Top , I can get rid of it and hope that they don’t draw their Paradox Engine , but aside from getting rid of douchey cards I don’t see much of a purpose in playing Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire .
This concludes my exploration of Jund commanders, and since the only options for a Jund leader, besides Gyrus, Waker of Corpses , are Adun Oakenshield and Xira Arien , I don’t think I’ll be using these colors unless I decide to use Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder as my commander, and Gyrus, Waker of Corpses as my leader.
5 months ago
Welcome to building commander! I'd recommend 2-4 more lands for one thing. a personal favorite is Temple of Deceit , strictly better than Salt Marsh . if price isn't too much of an issue, also look at Morphic Pool
To support your zombie theme, some cards I'd look at are Endless Ranks of the Dead and Ghoulcaller Gisa to generate more tokens, Graveborn Muse and Undead Augur for card draw, and Noxious Ghoul as a potential one sided board wipe. You can also go with generic tribal stuff like Kindred Dominance
To get the most out of the activated ability on your commander, maybe look at a mill sub-theme with cards like Undead Alchemist , Lich Lord of Unx , Dread Summons , and Stitcher Geralf . You probably won't kill anyone with mill, but it will load the graves with useful cards.
9 months ago
Buried Alive , Dread Summons , Altar of Dementia , and Entomb could be good options to help fill graveyards with targets for Scarab or to help find cards that reanimate themselves, like Gravecrawler. Speaking of Gravecrawler, if you wanted an infinite combo, you could run Phyrexian Altar to combo with Gravecrawler and Diregraf Captain/Altar of the Brood/Plaguebelcher.
I'd probably cut Mastermind's Acquisition unless your playgroup is OK with you pulling in cards from outside of the game or a "wishboard".
I'd also cut Doom Blade for Fleshbag Marauder , to help you interact more against hexproof/indestructible creatures. Plus, it's a zombie. You might also want to run a bit more manarocks to ensure you can play your more expensive spells or get more Scarab activations per turn cycle.
Overall, the deck looks pretty good and I've been considering building Scarab for a while, and this is pretty similar to what I'd build.
10 months ago
I would add cards that give you advantage through all the sacrificing and creature removal you have going on. Dark Prophecy would be my first add, and you might be able to pretty easily trade for a $3 Midnight Reaper , being from a currently printed set, and if Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos are too pricey, Butcher of Malakir and Grim Haruspex could be good substitutes, especially since you have the means to reanimate him after a wrath. Black Market is a pretty unique effect, although Revel in Riches is a good win-con, if not as powerful on the mana-source side.
I would also look into adding Bojuka Bog . You might also want a little mill to speed things up, since you're light on win conditions. Dread Summons is a good late-game punch, while Ghoulcaller's Bell could be a good turn-1 play for a deck without a lot of early plays. It That Betrays could be a good win condition, too, if you're forcing sacrifices.
As for cuts, I don't think you have enough demons to consistently turn on Mark of the Oni . I would reconsider Ashes to Ashes , since you want reanimation targets, not to exile creatures. Mortuary Mire is a little weird, since you like to play things on the cheap from the yard, if anything, it's working backwards against what your deck wants to be doing. Wanderer's Twig and Traveler's Amulet . I feel like I'm missing something, but it makes no sense to me. Armillary Sphere , less so, but I would run Myriad Landscape and Isolated Watchtower first.
10 months ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
10 months ago
Dread Summons ought to be in here, as something that ticks both the zombie box and the milling box.
10 months ago
I think those are some really nice cuts, can't agree with you more except for one. Call to the Grave I would play, it's a decent card wich put's pressure on your opponents. Instead I would take out Geth, Lord of the Vault . If you don't have the money for Damnation then the more expensive Life's Finale is alright.
Things to cut for your counterspells, Dread Summons yes, Dark Salvation yes, Living Death no. The last one is really to good to cut, especially if you gonna keep your opponents graveyards empty of value with your commander. Grimgrin, Corpse-Born I would cut as well, since he wants to sac stuff, but your ethernalized creatures will be gone forever if you sac him to grimgrin. If you really need a sac outlet I would go for Yahenni, since she can survive boardwhipes.
Other slot's im not so sure about are: Midnight Reaper and i'm sorry Bontu's Monument The monument does not provide any bonus in activating your God more than once, only provides a discount on casting spells. A true mana rock would be a better choice for this slot, since it can be used for both! Mind Stone for example. The lifeloss the monument gives, your commander will provide as well. Don't forget about Paradox Haze wich gives you 2 upkeeps ;)
Hope this helps again! And you know where to find me if you want to discuss some more! :)
10 months ago
Ripwater, I Made some changes (and future changes) to the deck, but i still want to add a section of counterspells and might cut Dread Summons , Dark Salvation , Living Death and some Zombie (maye Rot Hulk , Grimgrin, Corpse-Born ? I should run at least 4 I believe.