|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Zombie Troll
Discard a creature card: Put a +1/+1 counter on Loleth Troll
: Regenerate Loleth Troll
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (26)||DarkMagician , bakeraj4 , xpsychovampx , GoldGhost012 , mcstang1986 , buildingadeck , bradyofportdetroit , rikertchu , redlegs_17 , tragic_slip , ZombieFood , NOGzFTW , YossarianLives , , LoneCrusader399 , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , Friedrice24 , dplerner , frederiklw , TheDuggernaught , mziter501 , philktoken8998 , thetechzombie , golgarigirl , rakdos24 , Pylioz|
Lotleth Troll Discussion
2 days ago
Thanks for posting on / upvoting my Meren primer, really glad you liked it :) Just following up with you to see if there are a few ideas I can help with - trying to stay in tune with your current deck flavor, and keep all the suggestions pretty cheap :)
- Acidic Slime - How often do you find you target lands with him? I always thought he was a little steep for the effect, and something like Sylvok Replica did 95% of the job for 60% of the cost
- What's your experience with the "pump" creatures like Bloodthrone Vampire, Lotleth Troll, etc.? I find that even with recursion engines, it's hard to have enough cards to actually feed them well enough... maybe it would be more useful to use these slots for more utility creatures (removal, ramp, etc.) and then....
- ...look at something like Beastmaster Ascension to go alongside Dance of Shadows! Seems like your wincon is a big alpha strike with creatures, so this might be a great alternative/addition. Note that Beastmaster Ascension gets the counters upon declaring attacks, so if you swing with seven creatures in one combat, they will all get +5/+5 that combat.
- Focusing on strong wincons like that would also let you turn Mortician Beetle into Elves of Deep Shadow (of course, I don't see many creatures in my playgroup so maybe I'm undervaluing that card)
- Scavenging Ooze sticks with your pump-to-win theme but adds some targeted graveyard hate
- To help speed up card draw - how about Fecundity? I assume you're playing more creatures than your opponents (and have recursion!) so this can help speed up the mid-game slog that usually happens in B/G. Foster is another option, but a little slower.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip - I have no experience with him, but maybe this would be a good place for him
- Manglehorn is just so good as removal, and to slow down your opponents
- From Beyond seems a bit slower than Awakening Zone in an opening hand for a similar effect
- Cryptolith Rite turns everything into Birds of Paradise!
- Maybe Bone Shredder over Nekrataal?
- What about something like Doomgape as a swing-in fatty over Scourge of Nel Toth? Both seem combat-focused, but Doomgape gains you life and is harder to block
- How often do you use Altar of Dementia? Would something like Ashnod's Altar be more useful? Probably comes down to whether you need ramp or card draw more at that stage of the game.
- Ghirapur Orrery might be interesting tech to play with, but depending on your playgroup it could go either way. Never used it personally but it seems like it could be fun
- Aluren is on the steep side of "budget" but would be SO GOOD HERE (assuming your opponents aren't heavy on the creatures too, it's symmetric!)
3 days ago
Ok from the original rendition I have removed;
--Added Plainswalker--Ob Nixilis Reignited
-Removed Instants-Executioner's Swing
--Added Instants--Ready / Willing
4 days ago
Of those, Pox is the one on my "Maybe's" list, and I'm seriously looking for a way to fit it in because it's just so good! As for the rest, they generally fall into the following categories:
Too slow and/or too expensive: Blood Artist (no combo in the deck, doesn't affect the battlefield at all), Black Market, Bontu the Glorified (tries to do too many things, but does none of them very well), Lotleth Troll, Deadbridge Chant, Deathreap Ritual
Re: Westvale Abbey Flip - colors are too important the first few turns, so we can't really afford any colorless lands unless their activation rate is extremely high or utility is essential to deck function. The distinction is NOT whether a land is good, but rather whether it's necessary to win. I've lost a lot of games being stuck on colorless lands that were "good" but only that.
4 days ago
how come no Blood Artist, Black Market, Bontu the Glorified, Lotleth Troll, Spore Frog, Mesmeric Orb, Pox, Deadbridge Chant, Deathreap Ritual and Westvale Abbey Flip all of these are cheap and super strong in meren with the exception of 2 deadbridge and black market are both really good though.
2 weeks ago
Varolz, the Scar-Striped is really squishy in Modern. Lotleth Troll already gets every possible piece of removal your opponent has thrown at it, trying to piece together the whole combo gets kind of clunky in Modern.
I'd honestly go either all-in on Death's Shadow or all-in on Zombies, but not try to do both.
Here is a good budget version of B/G Zombies to get you started. It's a bit out of date because it doesn't have Dread Wanderer listed, but you'd just swap out Diregraf Ghoul for them. You'd also want Fatal Push over Go for the Throat and Dismember.
1 month ago
1 month ago
zephyr_chang I worked on an abzan list before this and had 4 companies. It felt pretty bad splashing for just one card, so I put in 1 Lotleth Troll, but the splash still didn't feel worth it. Really interested in your take of the deck to simply drain the opponent out rather than swing in for damage. Have you had any success with the deck? I would probably still keep some of the lords because baron makes it hard to attack and lord allows me to return stuff from my graveyard, but I will definitely test out your take of the deck with seer.