|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015||Mythic Rare|
|Born of the Gods||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Champion of Stray Souls
Creature — Skeleton Warrior
, , Sacrifice X other creatures: Return X target creatures from your graveyard to the battlefield.
: Put Champion of Stray Souls on top of your library from your graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||buildingadeck , mcstang1986 , Forkbeard , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Nemesis , Dr.Jackel , ZombieFood , CampbellStev , sonnet666 , failurechild88 , rockleemyhero , Kvothe1115 , pskinn01|
Champion of Stray Souls Discussion
2 weeks ago
The deck seems pretty solid. I think it has a few too many spells near the top end and would some more value creatures lower but overall seems like a great job! Meren is a lot of fun and powerful. Your style of play is a little more stax heavy which some people may not like, but good decks should be able to deal with it. If you feel like it gets too powerful, take out 1-2 (not all) cards that make your opponents have to sacrifice their creature
These cards are a little bit more expensive but I think they are all excellent pick ups and will help bring your deck to a new power level. They are also likely going to keep rising in power as well. I think your deck needs a better early game ramp package because a Meren on turn two or even 3 is backbreaking. All decks should have graveyard hate or board wipes to stop opponents who may be ahead of you.
High Market A good way to stop your opponents from exiling something. If they were to exile with Anguished Unmaking or Reality Shift use this land's effect in response and goes to graveyard instead of exile.
Deathrite Shaman A great way to stop other graveyard shenanigans.
Phyrexian Arena One of best draw spells in format. Drawing two cards while your opponents only get 1 puts you so far ahead. The life you lose is not important at all in our 40 life format.
Animate Dead Really good recursion spell that is usually used to grab something from an opponents graveyard.
Demon of Dark Schemes Board wipe on a creature that can also reanimate is very good.
Gray Merchant of Asphodel This card wins games and can help you when you are in a losing situation.
Beast Within One of best removal spells in the game.
Dread Return Great recursion spell that can be used twice.
Temple of Malady Good value card that gives you colors and helps get away cards you don't want at the top of your library.
Bojuka Bog Need to be able to stop other graveyard decks your opponents might be doing.
Elves of Deep Shadow the lifegain doesn't matter and being able to give you another color is soo good.
Scavenging Ooze Need to be able to stop other graveyard decks your opponents might be doing.
Spore Frog Good way to stop other creature decks that are faster than yours.
Shaman of Forgotten Ways Both a good way to ramp and also can be a win con if opponents have no creatures.
Victimize Great recursion spell in case Meren is not in play.
Viscera Seer Great sac outlet that also helps you draw to something useful.
Cultivate Great ramp card that also replaces itself.
Kodama's Reach Great ramp card that also replaces itself.
Black Sun's Zenith board wipes for when you are behind
Crux of Fate board wipes for when you are behind. This one is bad, but very cheap.
Life's Finale board wipes for when you are behind
Decree of Pain board wipes for when you are behind
Birthing Pod Helps you deck progress it's board state while adding to Meren's experience counters
Cards I would remove are ones that are less synergystic with the theme of your deck and/or have very little utility other than being big beaters.
Champion of Stray Souls Not a bad card, but I think it is a win more card. If you want to bring back creatures I would recommend Chainer, Dementia Master over this one as it costs less mana to cast and use its ability. But not bad.
Satyr Wayfinder Creatures that cause you to overextend into your graveyard. not bad but better ways of getting lands.
Caller of the Pack Creatures are just big beaters but have no value.
Scourge of Nel Toth Creatures are just big beaters but have no value.
Banshee of the Dread Choir Creatures are just big beaters but have no value.
Wretched Confluence Too costly for it's effect
Cloudthresher Not a good way to get rid of fliers
Bonehoard Better options to cast at 4 mana
Dread Summons card seems good but never works out in practice. Cannot use multiple times and only gives you a few zombies.
Corpse Augur better options to be playing at 4 mana
Phyrexian Plaguelord Better options to be playing at 5 mana.
Diabolic Servitude I think Animate dead is better. Cheaper to cast, and does not exile.
Powerful cards that are sweet to trade for (as in will always have value for a commander player imo). However these are over 5 bucks in some cases and may be better to trade up or I don't think are going to rise up in price in the next few months.
Birds of Paradise one of the best one drops you can play.
Avenger of Zendikar closes out many games very quickly.
Overgrown Tomb Great land that helps give you your colors and when you eventually get fetch lands you can find it. That being said, Windswept Heath can grab this for you and was heavily printed. Lands are always good things to pick up as they keep their value compared to any other card as they are used in every format.
Grave Titan One of the best 6 drops of all time
Panharmonicon Good in any deck that Enter the Battlefield effects
Leyline of the Voidcreatures in black in the 6-drop spot.
Toxic Deluge One of the best board wipes. Cheapest in converted mana cost and life is not important for how much damage it will usually save you from.
Sheoldred, Whispering One This creature is such a house. Hurts opponents and helps you.
Buried Alive a great tutor effect for your deck as your graveyard is an extension of your hand.
Noxious Gearhulk A pretty decent way to gain life and stop opponents
Erebos, God of the Dead Allow for a way to stop opponents life shenanigans and draws cards.
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet is another way to stop graveyard shenanigans of opponents. He cost a lot because of standard so I would wait until he rotates.
3 weeks ago
Alright here is a ton of cards that seems to fit the theme. Some are definitely better then others I'm just giving a list of cards. Some of these cards are not budget
Hope you find something useful within all these!
1 month ago
This deck looks like a great place for Abhorrent Overlord (high devotion to black and you love sac fodder), Bloodflow Connoisseur (it doesn't seem like you have a ton of always-usable sac outlets), Champion of Stray Souls (you have lots of sac fodder and lots of things you will want back), Doomed Necromancer (again, sac fodder that can get you back your good stuff), Fell Shepherd (an aggressive way to get all your non-token sacs back), Pawn of Ulamog (every nontoken sac should get you a token sac!), Phyrexian Soulgorger (the sac is supposed to be a drawback for an absurdly costed card, but for you it is another plus), Reaper from the Abyss (some free targeted killing every turn, hopefully not just on your turns), Skirsdag High Priest (who doesn't love free demons every round?), Tar Fiend (a huge creature that wipes your opponent's hand? yes please), and Killing Wave (you like sacrificing your stuff, they hate it).
I figure most of the times I get suggestions I only like a couple of them, so here's everything I could think of that would play nicely with what you're doing!
1 month ago
My Pheres-Band Raiders is enchanted with Hopeful Eidolon and Ghostblade Eidolon, power and toughness each 7. My opponent is blocking with Champion of Stray Souls whose power and toughness are each 4, Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord whose power and toughness are each 5, and Rot Shambler whose power and toughness are each 8. That is the blocking order she is choosing in hopes that my Pheres-Band Raiders will die before it deals enough damage to her Rot Shambler to kill it. Will either of the first two blockers do ANY damage to my creature, or will the first strike kill both of them before either of them deal damage and she's killing them unnecessarily?
2 months ago
Fun cards yet budget:
- Hermit Druid. Mill yourself big time.
- Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder. very budget, very nasty.
- Hornet Queen. smile widely, everytime you find her in the graveyard. 1/1 flying deathtouch is GOOD, and a wipe delivers 5 counters for Meren.
- Smothering Abomination. draw!
- Wake the Dead. boom
- Sell Mike and get Cauldron of Souls. More synergy with +1 giving creatures, and spent the rest of the budget on Massacre Wurm and It That Betrays
Cards to cut:
2 months ago
- I think its important to keep in mind that you want your creatures to pull double duty. Angel of Invention, for example, makes tokens and buffs your team.
- Iroas, God of Victory: You turn your creatures sideways more than I do. Menace would be pretty good for your commander.
- Brutal Hordechief: Just really dumb in your deck.
- Eternal Witness: Replace Den Protector with this.
- Avenger of Zendikar: Token deck stable.
- Angel of Invention: Makes tokens and an anthem on a stick.
- Dragon Broodmother: Cause this is a dumb card.
- Oracle of Mul Daya: Cause ramping is for cool kids that play .
- Wood Elves: Its wood elves.
- Grave Titan: Its the king of zombies
- Armada Wurm: ETB 5/5 wurms seem good.
- Catacomb Sifter: This is ok as a low-end token generator and scry provider.
- Chancellor of the Forge: triple might be tough to handle. This could be good if you have a good reanimator package. Up to you.
- Cultivator of Blades: Once again, a creature that encourages turn your creatures sideways. I really like this card for your deck cause its ETB token creator or an anthem creature.
- You have Whip already, so why not just continue to abuse your graveyard?
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier: Sac a token to tutor seems dumb. Its even better if you keep reanimating it.
- Viscera Seer: Saccing stuff is cool
- Sadistic Hypnotist: Sac outlet and hand disruption.
- Rakshasa Gravecaller: Makes tokens and can send a creature to the graveyard. This one is ok, I guess.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa: Most ETB token creatures lose their value after they hit the field. Why not sacem to make more tokens.
- Slate of Ancestry: A wheel that depends on the amount of creatures you have seems pretty good. Also, if youre animating, you have no problem send cards to your graveyard.
- Key to the City: Unblockable for Tana, the Bloodsower and discard outlet.
Instants and Sorceries
- Vampiric Tutor or Sidsi if you want to abuse tutors.
- Chord of Calling: Youll have plenty of creatures for convoke.
- Buried Alive: Depends on how deep you go into the reanimator plan.
- Parallel Lives: Bruh..you need this. Use this instead of Primeval Bounty. I was unimpressed with the results of bounty.
- Cathars' Crusade: Cause why not?
- Intangible Virtue: Cause tapping tokens is for losers
- Xenagos, the Reveler: Its like having Gaeas Cradle.
- Dragonmaster Outcast: In EDH, he seems very fair and isnt very good until later. Even then, this deck is capable of much sillier plays.
- Norin the Wary: Nahonly good if hes the commander.
- Korozda Guildmage: Too slow, in my opinion.but what do I know
- Thelonite Hermit: and two turns, you make 4 saproliing tokens with a conditional anthem. Also, not good with Whip or Panharmonicon.
- Obzedat, Ghost Council: Go away, ghost dad. Youre drunk and dont belong here.
- Wolfcaller's Howl: Better ways to make tokens.
- Congregate: You have Whip for lifegain.
- Exsanguinate, Lavalanche, Sram's Expertise, Worm Harvest, and Increasing Devotion: You want to abuse ETB and none of this help that plan.
- Conjurer's Closet: Ive fallen out of love with this card. Its slow and doesnt feel strong at .
2 months ago
I've been looking at building an Ishkana deck, too. I was looking at mine from more of an online place, budget-wise, but I checked out the differences between our decks, and I think there are quite a few budget cards that would help: Tree of Tales and Vault of Whispers both net two types when milled. Vessel of Nascency was a standard in Standard Delirium, since it immediately puts and enchantment in your graveyard. Syphon Mind and Harmonize are both great value cards. Millikin is a great fit in Ishkanah decks, since it can ramp, chump to put two types in the graveyard, and mill, all on its own. Commander's Sphere is the same. It can ramp you from 4 to 5 mana and cycle to fuel delirium as early as turn 4. Foul Renewal should be pretty powerful in this deck, and I had Sight of the Scalelords and Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper for the same toughness reasons. Finally, the piece of tech I'm proudest of is Champion of Stray Souls. If you're already milling creatures into your graveyard, then sacking 3 1/2 spider tokens for 3 real creatures is fantastic, especially since you can let Ishkanah go to the graveyard be be re-risen with fresh tokens. If you move away from budget options, I also think Buried Alive is a good choice. Choosing Arachnoid, nyxweaver, and a fattie, you get Delirium and a reanimation target. I also included a land tutor package. Here's my full list: Spiders.
2 months ago
@HOPMONSTER, yup alot of these cards were in my Fat Bottomed Girls (Liliana Reanimator) deck, which housed nearly all of the reanimation spells. alot of these got trimmed down to to add better support for Volrath the Fallen himself ( Whispersilk Cloak, Lightning Greaves, ect).
-Palace Siege is cool and has good utility with the life gain/loss
-I NEED A Sidisi, Undead Vizier
-Champion of Stray Souls is interesting... if he was legendary, hed be a great recursion/reanimator general but i dont want him in my deck, his abilities are too expensive
ill take these under consideration, thanks for the advice and if im missing something with combos and whatnot, let me know :)