Creature — Snake
Flash (You may cast this spell at any time you could cast an instant.)
When Mystic Snake enters the battlefield, counter target spell.
|Have (5)||metalmagic , firemind12 , fourcleftcandles , DoctorDax ,|
|Want (2)||heavydutymechanic , ComradeBrain|
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||None|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Rare|
|Time Spiral "Timeshifted" (TSB)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Mystic Snake occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
GU (Simic): 0.74%
Mystic Snake Discussion
4 days ago
Creatures are generally small, which would not be a problem if you can keep the opponent's board clear through bounces/counterspells/removals. Problem is, you only have 4 bounces Brazen Borrower, 3 counterspells Mystic Snake, and almost no removal (other than Ice-Fang Coatl, and I don't think you are running enough snow permanents to activate deathtouch all the time). So it might be tough to get through once opponent lands a blocker or two. You will need your draws to line up very nicely. Theoretically you can return some cards to your hand with Whitemane Lion and Quickling and Jeskai Barricade to cast them again, but that would be turn 3 at the quickest, and sets your tempo back.
I also don't think Omen of the Sea is strong enough for Modern outside of a control shell. Maybe you should play some 1-CMC cantrips instead? The 2-drop slot is too crowded and you have no 1-drops, which is also quite odd for a tempo deck.
5 days ago
Ramp to four then tempo is good, but you need to either get value from all your lands and dorks, build reliable 2 for 1, or draw more cards.
Some of that can be handled by sideboaeding - heal 6 is a 2 for one against burn for example, but a clear plan for big, low cost creatures and go wide stats is a must; bounce effects like Evacuation will shine here as they also let you reuse snakes.
1 week ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.
1 week ago
1 week ago
I can definitely see the value Sundial of the Infinite would add, CivilizedSin. Would help me keep the tokens from Flameshadow Conjuring, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and Mirror March rather than losing them at the end of a turn. If I had something obvious to take out, I might consider it but I'm not sure if I want to make room for a combo that only works with so few cards. Though it would be hilarious for the effect of a Craterhoof Behemoth to stick around on all my creatures :D I'll keep Sundial in the back of my mind for future updates.
Thanks Forceofnature1! I hadn't done much to Riku in a while but wanted to add an Agent of Treachery and got inspired to re-evaluate a handful of other cards, too. I think you're right about Mystic Snake, I kind of forgot about that snek but with the flash/instant speed options to copy creatures, he'd be a great target. I'll have to Ponder what to take out to make room for him.
2 weeks ago
Forgot to add in Capsize and Venser, Shaper Savant as win cons with infinite mana and infinite bounce (in regards to Venser). Bouncing everyone right out of the game. Also Venser is a good "counter spell", much like Mystic Snake and Frilled Mystic.
2 weeks ago
Solid update. I am back to re-tooling Riku and I like your "I have answers for the boardstate" setup.
The only thing I would think to add would be Mystic Snake. I love Glen Elendra but you have so many copy effects sitting around that landing a mystic snake would be a fun counter/threat potential. Especially with kiki jiki in play.