|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Wurm
Whenever Engulfing Slagwurm blocks or becomes blocks by a creature, destroy that creature. You gain life equal to that creature's toughness.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (14)||Pelli , Epidilius , Fineontheoutside , Cazaz0816 , sonnet666 , ChrisH , Kleptozaniac , PTsmitty , slemulv , switchkill65 , ZombieFood , Antiat , FoamEagle , metljoe|
|Want (9)||TheDriveBy , Gypsyhatten , Bluewolf_Sun , LePtitNabot , Sovraznik , XBlaze , kaiser1245 , GTarrant , TheHorgle|
Engulfing Slagwurm Discussion
1 week ago
- I actually do have Savage Lands in the deck... Just not on tapped out, so good catch on that one.
- I re-examined Endless Whispers and decided it NEEDED to go in, I forgot the trigger is not a "May" effect, so it can have a bizarre impact on the game. It would make games with creature sac-heavy decks quite unusual.
- I cannot possibly remove Titania's Song It is way too fun in this artifact-light deck to turn everyone's artifacts into no-ability agents of damage-dealing or using this enchantment as artifact removal - either way I'm happy. It also is an incredibly dopey-looking piece of old-school MtG art :)
- I like the ability to suspend Search for Tomorrow for .. but for a similar base cost cultivate does give me better future oomph & this deck won't worry about too many cards in hand, so I probably will make that switch.
- Depending on how it plays out in a larger group I may end up putting more removal in, however I'm not especially concerned with this deck on strategy locks, even this: Peacekeeper won't kill me considering all the oddball groupslug I have thrown in. My other consideration is additional card-draw: Enchantress's Presence could do some real work in here considering I end up running almost as many enchantments as an enchantress deck.
- Last cards I keep going back & forth on are Engulfing Slagwurm Hypergenesis and Frenzied Fugue - Fugue is such a pet-card for me & it hits PERMANENTS so stealing planeswalkers for an extra round does have its appeal.
1 week ago
NOTE: The Cards at the front of each suggestion are the cards you should put in, not take out.
You should probably switch out Gruul Turf for Stomping Ground. Gruul Turf sets you a turn or two behind, which is not good for an aggro deck. Why are you running 4 Azusas when she is legendary? The most I'd run is three, as you can only have one out a time. How are you going to get creatures in the grave for Ghoultree? Also, have you considered the Arbor Elf and Utopia Sprawl combo? The best manabase I think for this deck would look this this:
I think that this manabase, esp. with Azuza, is very good, allowing you to get your big guys out quickly. However, I think you could change your creatures as well. There are two ways you can do this, you could either go wide (lots of creatures) or the grow big (a few huge creatures). I have provided cards for both of them
I put the Nissas in here because her Elemental making ability can come in handy while trying to cast Ghalta or for extra mana (untapping the land with Sprawl)
So, not much change, but that little change makes a lot of difference. Also, Lightning Bolt needs to change. You need something that can kill something, no matter the size. Good Luck!
3 weeks ago
You could swap out the instants and sorceries so Vaevictis has a higher success rate.
Engulfing Slagwurm is great to block any troublesome creature, or attack with it and force opponents to block. Flameblade Angel burns opponents when they attack or block you. Hornet Nest can give you lots of deadly tokens when opponents attack you. Dinosaurs with enrage like Polyraptor, Ripjaw Raptor, and Silverclad Ferocidons could be helpful.
Similarly, Phyrexian Obliterator, Vengeful Pharaoh, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, and Dread, with the Pharaoh being great to sacrifice to Vaevictis since it comes back, and Mikaeus bringing almost all your creatures back again. Vigor just protects all your creatures from combat damage and makes them even bigger.
1 month ago
2 months ago
Executioner's Capsule would be nice to be able to return, but I just can’t get past that “nonblack” condition.
Sylvok Replica feels like a distraction, but I’ll think about it.
Mindslaver tooooo expensive.
Nemesis Mask This one I’ll really consider. The permenance is really nice, however, the draw back is that it’s much slower to use. Definitely will think about it though.
The last two, I’m not really looking for board wipes. I’m looking for ways to take advantage of Deathtouch. Those sort of have a Deathtouchy thing going on, but the trade offs are probably too much. Dead-Iron Sledge will kill whatever it’s attached to, and Engulfing Slagwurm is just too much mana.
3 months ago
Novablast Wurm is super tough to get out onto the battlefield no matter what corners you cut with ramp. I actually suggest trying just Green/Black and not worrying about White so much. I'd also suggest some dual lands to smooth out the mana needed for spells:
Some other Wurms worth considering are:
- 1x Sifter Wurm, some life gain.
- 1x Engulfing Slagwurm, also for life gain.
- 1x Elderscale Wurm
- 1x Bellowing Tanglewurm
- 2-3x Ravaging Riftwurm, scary early game, useful late game.
With the Wurm theme less feels like more. I don't think Greater Sandwurm is particularly mean or scary or overly useful (since you can play a cheap green tutor rather than the 2 mana cycle cost to help thin your deck).
If there's ever a time you feel like splurging, Wurmcoil Engine is hands down my favorite Wurm card and probably one of, if not my favorite Artifact Creature in Magic. Super scary and good at all points of the game.
Hope some of this was useful!
3 months ago
Hi, just wanted to point out that you can't trap opponents into fighting Grothama, since the ability specifies "may have it fight", so if you cast something to make Grothama indestructible they can just choose not to fight. If there are multiple fights you can wait until before the last one to cast your trick so you at least kill a few creatures, but opponents can also respond with removal. Card draw is really the best thing to do with Grothama.
3 months ago
You're not utilizing Glissa, the Traitor's full potential. Consider replacing Murder with Executioner's Capsule and also add Sylvok Replica. Whenever a creature dies you can return an artifact, and this gives you a suite of removal for many different types of permanents. Mindslaver if budget allows.
Also, replace Lure with Nemesis Mask for the same effect, which is reusuable after the creature dies, but that only applies to the amount of combat damage you are able to apply at any given time. If you're looking for board wipe efficiency, consider Engulfing Slagwurm and Dead-Iron Sledge. Remember, they don't say combat damage... just "blocking or blocked".