Breath of Darigaaz
Kicker (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.)
Breath of Darigaaz deals 1 damage to each creature without flying and each player. If this spell was kicked, it deals 4 damage to each creature without flying and each player instead.
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Knights vs. Dragons (DDG)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Breath of Darigaaz occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Breath of Darigaaz Discussion
1 month ago
You should def get rid of Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, it's real bad bro :(. Also Savage Twister is not bad but I feel like you could get more asymmetrical effects like Breath of Darigaaz, Mizzium Mortars, Bonfire of the Damned.
I feel like you might enjoy some ETB damage enchantments like Impact Tremors, Pandemonium, etc, or some red wheel effects, to make sure you draw enough. In general though, I've learned a lot from your synergy and your card choices seem very apt for a budget deck. Your mana seems pretty balanced too. Nice deck!
2 months ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
4 months ago
Magebane Armor would make a good combo with Pariah's Shield . Other than that I don't often have issues with Torbran dying to my own sweepers, due to his effect's asymmetrical nature. Pyrohemia and Breath of Darigaaz are the only two of my own spells that I can remember killing Torbran.
I experimented with Flame Fusillade while I was first putting the deck together, and I wasn't impressed. If the deck was more focused on making lots of tokens, I could see it working.
4 months ago
Okay, I love the flavor of the deck. I think the damage aspect could still be improved, but I also think it's very hard to focus. So, I apologize for throwing all of these options at you:
Curse of Bloodletting
(I think this would stack),
Claws of Valakut
Jaws of Stone
Breath of Darigaaz
Ashling the Pilgrim
Koth of the Hammer
As for cuts, I (without thinking very much and just reacting to a first read through) am leaning towards: impact tremors, stolen strategy, vicious shadows, war's toll ( I don't think this will stack with mana barbs and burning earth, but I could be totally wrong), red elemental blast, sarkhan the masterless, and ugin the ineffible.
9 months ago
I also suggest considering the following cards: Fault Line , Sulfurous Blast , Volcanic Fallout , Acidic Soil , Breath of Darigaaz , Cave-In , Cerebral Eruption , Earthquake , Flamebreak , Kaboom! , Molten Disaster , and Steam Blast .
1 year ago
Mindus_Dew I haven't been able to play EDH all semester so nothing definitive, but I've swapped out Marble Diamond, Fire Diamond, Mizzix's Mastery, and Breath of Darigaaz for Deafening Clarion, Boros Locket, Dawn of Hope, and Risk Factor. Hoping to improve draw and cut under-preforming/situational cards.
DespairFaction awesome! Was it an exact copy of this list or some changes? If so, what changes?
You will see in the changes mentioned above 3 new ways to potentially draw cards. So I have been working on that.
Pyramid doesn't do enough. Tutor too expensive(I've basically stopped buying singles), inferno too high CMC. Maybe Treasure map though.
Thanks for the comments, please continue the discussion!
1 year ago
+1 from me! I love Gruul decks lol
1 year ago
Rabid_Wombat good question! Let the discussion begin!
I've seen them but haven't spent the time to evaluate all of them.
I like Boros Locket as a replacement for one of the diamonds maybe.
Integrity / Intervention gets the same Lightning Helix deal at a worse cost, and has some added flexibility of being a pump spell. My problem is my Sunforger package is already to full and I don't see any obvious replacements.
Chance for Glory is straight awesome but not for this deck. I can see it becoming a wincon in another Sunforger themed deck.
I wish Justice Strike did the damage not the creature :(
Maybe Crush Contraband over Wear & Tear? What do y'all think?
My initial thoughts. I'll have to see how pre-release goes if I want to get any of them. Anyone else who has any thoughts feel free to jump in!