Creature — Viashino
(1)(Red), Tap: Destroy target artifact. Viashino Heretic deals damage to that artifact's controller equal to the artifact's converted mana cost.
Printings View all
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Viashino Heretic occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Viashino Heretic Discussion
1 month ago
A fun alternative to Smash to Smithereens is Viashino Heretic , which is repeatable and can deal serious damage potentially, as well as doing double duty as a blocker. I feel okay running 2 as main deck cards, since they aren't fully dead if the opponent has no artifacts, and they are a back breaker if they are using artifacts. Flame Rift is a very efficient damage dealer, and if you're going to win with a red deck, you're generally in the lead anyways, so the card is 4 damage that isn't targeted (and gets through hexproof players) for 2 mana, a good deal IMO.
Yeah, if your local meta is heavy on first strike, then Ball Lightning is a dead card generally, unless you can sucker them into attacking, or can burn their creatures. Regarding your land base, if it works for you then that's what you should use.
2 months ago
Hey, I like the new direction away from voltron. Nice Wheel of Fortune :)
I think you can push your deck further by adding disruption. When your General can make mana without needing lands then this gives you an effect that you should take more advantage of. Being only red means you don't have access to as many effects as decks with multiple colors therefore you want to slow down the multicolor decks.
Cards to consider adding:
- Blood Moon and/or Magus of the Moon : all mono red decks with as high of a budget as this one should play these cards.
- Price of Glory : land destruction that players have control over. Mana is made with Neheb during your turn and sorceries make up the majority of the spells here therefore this will disrupt your opponents much more.
- Smoke : underrated disruption in red. Other than Neheb you don't have a lot of creatures who want to attack.
- Arcane Signet
- Price of Progress : one of the best mana efficient burn spells in multiplayer Commander. Still does damage to each player with Blood Moon on the battlefield.
- Sulfuric Vortex : repeatable damage to opponents that doesn't cost you any mana. Good with Torbran, opponents take 4 each turn you take 2. Not letting white decks gain life is also helpful.
- Viashino Heretic : repeatable artifact destruction that can also do damage to the player.
- Shivan Gorge : repeatable damage to each opponent.
- Anger : with all the discard effects it's good to discard giving Neheb haste.
- Forgotten Cave : one mana to cycle.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Myriad Landscape
- Desert of the Fervent
- Bloodfire Colossus
- Syr Carah, the Bold
- Quest for Pure Flame
- Cryptolith Fragment
- Firebrand Archer
- Breath of Darigaaz
- Swiftfoot Boots
- Sword of the Animist
8 months ago
Alright so this is where things get difficult lol. Right now the deck has some semblance of agro and control but its currently being bogged down by things that don’t contribute anything or enough to warrant their spot. I’m going to suggest a lot of cuts and for each one I’ll offer a decent replacement that will not only make all of our lives miserable but also contribute to making the deck far more resilient and difficult to stop. Creatures to cut
- Aegis of the Gods
- Archangel of Thune
- Archangel of Tithes
- Baird, Steward of Argive
- Basandra, Battle Seraph
- Captain of the Watch
- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
- Firemane Angel
- Guardian of the Gateless
- Herald of War
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal
- Pyreheart Wolf
- Seraph of Dawn
- Soul's Attendant
- Tajic, Legion's Edge
Creatures to Add
- Alms Collector
- Aven Mindcensor
- Combat Celebrant
- Containment Priest
- Eidolon of Rhetoric
- Godo, Bandit Warlord
- Magus of the Wheel
- Mother of Runes
- Relic Seeker
- Samurai of the Pale Curtain
- Spirit of the Labyrinth
- Stonehewer Giant
- Sublime Archangel
- Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
- Viashino Heretic
Noncreature Spells to Cut
- Dragon Throne of Tarkir
- Elixir of Immortality
- Hedron Matrix
- Moonsilver Spear
- Power Matrix
- Tablet of the Guilds
- Worn Powerstone
- Celestial Mantle
- Ghostly Prison
- Gleam of Battle
- Holy Mantle
- Ordeal of Heliod
- Revoke Existence
- Safe Passage
Noncreature Spells to Add
- Boros Charm
- Crush Contraband
- Path to Exile
- Swords to Plowshares
- Smothering Tithe
- Aggravated Assault
- Open the Armory
- Reforge the Soul
- Steelshaper's Gift
- Coalition Relic
- Coldsteel Heart
- Fellwar Stone
- Gilded Lotus
- Sword of Feast and Famine
- Sword of the Animist
Now what these additions will do is smooth out your mana curve and make you come out swinging far more quickly in more consistently. The additions include another outlet to go infinite through Sword of Feast and Famine and Aggravated Assault . They also contain multiple ways to tutor up Helm of the Host and win. Combat Celebrant and Godo, Bandit Warlord each go infinite with helm and Godo will tutor for it himself and place it straight onto the battlefield.
We also tighten up your control package with cheap removal and creatures that limit what you’re opponents can do. I can provide more explanations in person if you like.
Remember these are only suggestions lol But if you try them I think you’ll like how much faster the deck pops off.
9 months ago
10 months ago
54 out of 100 foils, over half way there! People really shouldn't do this... lol.
I have some additional changes I'm thinking about too.
Amaranthine Wall has literally never come up in any game. I easily have over a hundred games with this deck... Indestructible just gets powered out by flicker unless I can make everything I have indestructible. Not sure what to replace it with...
Hoard-Smelter Dragon is one I am much more on the fence about but I'm thinking Viashino Heretic would be better for this deck. Kind of a toss up between the two... one takes more mana but the other requires tapping.
1 year ago
Alright can definitely give you some ideas than Salinas29!
Since you are playing in large pods some cards that can definitely help you would be:
- Neheb, the Eternal - Highly recommend this card!
- Etali, Primal Storm - In multiplayer pods this card is devastating!
- Vial Smasher the Fierce - Great card all around.
- Viashino Heretic - This is if you play in a artifact heavy meta.
- Twilight Prophet - Card draw and damage, love this card a lot.
- Lobber Crew - Decent effect if you have a lot of multicolored spells.
- Pyrohemia - Semi board wipe effect but also cost reducer for you.
- Pestilence - Black version of above one.
- Sunbird's Invocation - Extremely fun card to play with.
- Sarkhan's Unsealing - Can get really nasty real quick, plus low cost.
- Fiery Confluence - All modes are relevant in this deck.
- Angrath, the Flame-Chained - Control and reducer, a bit high on CMC though.
- Chandra, Torch of Defiance - An all star, ramp, reducer, and card draw.
Now for the big creatures that can provide additional utility effects, here are some cards that can be considered:
- Conduit of Ruin - Allows you to grab creatures and additional cost reducer.
- Void Winnower - Hate piece and a big filthy creature.
- Steel Hellkite - Beater that can destroy a lot of good stuff.
- Combustible Gearhulk - Card Advantage (CA) or cost reducer, win/win.
- Sandstone Oracle - Hand refill on a stick.
- Garna, the Bloodflame - Semi recursion in case of a boardwipe.
Importantly as well is to have some early game plan, ramp, CA, and utility spells. Here are some cards that can be also considered.
- Rakdos Charm
- Blasphemous Act
- Chandra's Ignition
- Go for the Throat
- Chaos Warp
- Reforge the Soul
- Phyrexian Arena
- Dark Ritual
- Culling the Weak
- Sol Ring
- Fellwar Stone
- Talisman of Indulgence
- Commander's Sphere
- Chromatic Lantern
- Mass Hysteria
The best route if you want to inflict a lot of pain is going for the big Eldrazis but I won't list them as they are quite expensive even after the reprint in UMA. If you can pick them up than definitely go for it! They are absolutely filthy creatures that would make people cry :3
Aside from that feel free to ask for any additional help, I love helping people tune their decks!
1 year ago
For a sac outlet maybe consider Phyrexian Altar over Altar of Dementia. It costs more, but the mana may be more important than the mill. Also Semblance Anvil may be good in your deck. Exile an artifact creature under it, an all your creatures and artifacts cost less.
1 year ago
- Dosan the Falling Leaf - prevents casting on other player's turns
- Gaea's Herald - creatures can't be countered
- Leyline of Lifeforce - creature's can't be countered
- Price of Glory - destroy all lands tapped on other player's turns
- War's Toll - inhibits control strategies
- Choke - islands don't untap
- Autumn's Veil - practically protection from blue and black for one turn for all creatures
- Hammer Mage - artifact boardwipe every turn
- Viashino Heretic - targeted artifact removal every turn
- Molder Slug - hurts them more than it hurts you
- Vandalblast - a staple and for good reason
- Wave of Vitriol - kills all artifacts, and enchantments for good measure. Also ramps mana
- Arbor Colossus - large body with reach that can kill a flier