Creature — Kavu
Kicker (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.)
If Untamed Kavu was kicked, it enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Untamed Kavu Discussion
1 month ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
5 months ago
I'm working on a similar concept (I splash black, but then you have to pay for the mana base). For yours, after playtesting, I 100% wished that the Arboreal Grazer were Llanowar Elves every time, so I recommend swapping +2 for -2 to get 4 elves in there. The Voracious Hydra is one of the most powerful cards in your deck, I would recommend +2. My initial build had a bunch of Gargos, Vicious Watcher also, and I found that he was hard to play along side the rest of the deck, so I would -2 him for the other hydra. It was very rare that I ever got to keep a Gargos out long enough to draw into a Voracious. Usually I already played the Voracious, or they kill the Gargos before I can play with it or draw a Voracious.
I would consider Bounty of Might as a 1 or 2 of. It provides three separate triggers to your rhino and for your Season of Growth . The deck's problem is that it runs out of steam fairly quickly, a normal green problem. You need late game items to get back into it. Perhaps +2, and -1 Gargos, -1 Giant Growth.
Good luck, I love the way the concept is moving. If interested, I can give you my black options for the deck which smooth out the curve and add a lot of durability. I ran yours against mine and mine won 2/1 for whatever that is worth.
8 months ago
Murphy77 Great points! This was an early brew, I actually ended up cutting Pelt Collector as well as going down to 2 banners, mostly as a stall breaker. The version I've run recently really uses Greenwood Sentinel or Untamed Kavu along with Blanchwood Armor to make 5 power on turn 3. That or just a Steel Leaf Champion . I also haven't looked at it since WAR came out, so my concoction is behind a bit.
10 months ago
If budget isn’t an issue, trade out Untamed Kavu for a playset of Tarmogoyf , one of the best green creatures ever printed. You could also be running some fetches and shocks: Stomping Ground and Wooded Foothills would be in your colors, so a playset there might be good.Finally, because Phoenix in the Ice (Izzet Phoenix) is really good right now, you could run Scavenging Ooze in the maindeck. It’s a super good value creature that hates on graveyards and also helps in burn matchups.
1 year ago
dalew Yes i did. Last night was my last game with it. I did end up 2-2 in the deck in 4 rounds of magic. I might do some changes since both my losses were a close fight against jeskai control but have won against a golgari midrange and a selesniya stompy. Deafening Clarion is the one card that separates us against other aggro decks. We got main board sweeper that benefits our creatures as well. I just end up losing to a niv mizzet backed up with Dive Down (stupid diving, fire-breathing dragon) and a niv mizzet luckily top decking a Syncopate. :/. But overall, the deck feels great. I did update the deck and change Untamed Kavu and replaced it with a main board Savage Stomp for some added spot removal because of some realizations last night lol. The deck is legit and is waiting for a Stomping Ground. Can't wait for the next set to release. :)
1 year ago
1 - Drops :: Old-Growth Dryads???
1 year ago
I would put Vine Mare in the sideboard, together with Lightning Mare and exclude Spit Flame and Fight with Fire. As for your instants, I would exchange the Shock cards for Lightning Strike and put the others in the sideboard as well. Other creatures to consider would be Grunn, the Lonely King, Skizzik, Untamed Kavu, or Verix Bladewing. What would work well would then be the enchantments Sarkhan's Unsealing and Colossal Majesty. Maybe not all the creature cards are preferable in your deck but it was just some examples :) Imo more creatures, since that's the best thing with green! I'm no expert though so take it with a pinch of salt