|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Mythic Rare|
|Avacyn Restored (AVR)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Bonfire of the Damned
Bonfire of the Damned deals X damage to target player and each creature he or she controls.
Miracle (You may cast this card for its miracle cost when you draw it if it's the first card you drew this turn.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (20)||, Vasbear1 , golgarigirl , tragic_slip , DrPopular , asceveris , pokemate0 , cburns , Nemesis , philktoken8998 , failurechild88 , jrschnoebelen , 2austin5 , pskinn01 , the.beanpole , Swamy , bakeraj4 , rockleemyhero , MattN7498 , Spinalripper|
|Want (5)||bradyofportdetroit , Bovine073 , Nemesis , darthnuchi , Gabeph|
Bonfire of the Damned Discussion
6 hours ago
Bonfire of the Damned is amazing in this deck
17 hours ago
I like Courser of Kruphix too, but was wondering what the main reasons are against it? Since you're the only one I see playing it.
How are the 4x Tireless Tracker working for you? I currently run 2 myself.
I've noticed your list favours early consistency (more 3/4 drops, less 5+) above drawing into a bomb/threat (titan or dragon). Have you had any trouble late game, trying to top deck a threat/bomb? How do you like the balance you have? I'm assuming the Courser and Trackers help to draw through the deck faster to offset the lack of threats (as well as the one-of Command).
3 weeks ago
Thanks much for the kudos, and you've very welcome.
One of the blessings and the curses of Ponza though, is that there isn't really a stock list ... you know how on a "normal" deck you tweak the sideboard almost every week based on the expected match-ups? Well, Ponza is like that, but across the whole deck! So while I'm super-pleased (and frankly a little intimidated) that you chose this deck as your starting point, please understand that you're probably going to be tweaking the deck a LOT as your meta and playstyle change.
Thanks again and draw well!
4 weeks ago
I would add in Braid of Fire and Vedalken Orrery. Vedalken Orrery is just a good card overall to make your sorceries be able to do more. Braids of Fire can be sweet with Vedalken Orrery as extra mana, plus Hammer of Bogardan could be brought back in the upkeep, cast in the upkeep, and brought back depending on how much mana is on it. Also, any spells with X in the cost become significantly better if you can cast them in your upkeep with Vedalken Orrery. I also don't see Bonfire of the Damned, I feel like that is a great red card to have in a burn type deck. I understand you are going somewhat chandra tribal here, but Satyr Firedancer is another one I feel like could be a great addition.
A decent tutor for your deck could be Gamble. It will backfire occasionally, but it's one of the only thing red has as a decent tutor.
I also want to let you know that Chandra, Roaring Flame Flip cannot kill anyone with commander damage. The 21 damage rule has been changed to only be COMBAT damage. Unless Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip attacks someone for the damage, you still have to damage them equal to their life total.
1 month ago
I don't really like DJ West's list at all. It seemed severely subpar for a Ponza list and felt kind of clunky. I'm certainly on board with cutting Bonfire of the Damned, and, in fact, I cut it a few weeks ago in favor of two more Trinisphere in the main deck. I have to say, Trinisphere in the main has been incredible. Sure, it's a dead card after #1, but the same can be said for Blood Moon, and Trinisphere can create just as hard of a lock. Like Blood Moon, it limits unprepared opponents to 1 spell a turn (or 2 late in the game), but unlike Blood Moon, people can't really play around 3-Ball. It has the chance of just hard locking opponents out, and is able to slow them significantly enough to close out the game with one or two fatties. I also believe that it makes late-game Stone Rains better, because it can hard-cut an opponent from 2 to 1 spells a turn, or 1 to 0.
Beast Within is a hard card to cut. I ended up doing so because I felt that I could deal with 'walkers well enough without them, and it hits all of the other issues without a problem and blocks big dumb creatures incredibly well. Its interaction with Kessig Wolf Run is also kind of sweet in that it can deal all but 1 of the damage straight to the opponent's face. I've not yet tested out P&K, but having played the card in Kiki-Chord, I can vouch for its efficacy. Right now, I've been playing more of a planeswalker heavy build that has been performing great. Garruk Wildspeaker is a card that I would highly recommend, since it allows for some insanely busted turn two and three plays, while also just allowing a win by -1ing three times.
Sorry about the ramble, just some of my thoughts on the deck recently.
1 month ago
First, thanks tons for asking for my thoughts! I feel like with you earning a PPTQ victory and me earning a PPTQ thrashing it should be the other way around! :-D Nevertheless, here's my $0.02:
- I've tested with both Ryan Shaner's R/G Monster Ponza and with DJ West's list, and while I really like the concept of trading meh spells for value Creatures, I've not been that impressed with the results. I'm certain part of that it the meta (mine is extremely wide, and their decks are tailored for a much more competitive meta), and part of it is my unfamiliarity with the deck (especially when it comes to mulligans). But I've seen a huge drop (10-15%) in overall win percentage when I play Monster Ponza.
- I know realBorborygmos would say something like, "YOU DON'T NEED ANSWERS IF YOUR OPPONENT'S DEAD, HAR HAR!", but I personally can't stand not having Beast Within in the deck, especially as an answer for Lili and Gideons. I'm currently on 2x in the main and 1x in the side, and that's been pretty much perfect for my meta.
- I see Bonfire of the Damned as kind of a necessary evil, and VERY meta-dependent. I'm currently on 2x in the main and 0 in the side. But I've run anywhere from 0-4x in the 75, as my meta has shifted around. 1x Chandra, Flamecaller in the main and 0-2x Anger of the Gods in the 75 help fill that role for me too.
- I personally love Courser of Kruphix lately, really like Big Chandra (tip o' the hat to for that), like Ma and Pa Nalaar (especially against Affinity), and pretty much hate Wurmcoil Engine (because it's even weaker than titan to Path).
- To make room for 2-3x Courser, I've been pulling out 2-3x Stone Rain. The idea is Stone Rain is great early, but meh late, wile Courser is good anytime. It's been working well so far, but I'm still deep in testing, so I'm not sure yet ...
Obviously, your mileage may vary. But thanks again for asking! :-)