Creature — Elemental
Kicker (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.)
When Thicket Elemental enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, you may reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. If you do, put that card onto the battlefield and shuffle all other cards revealed this way into your library.
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis (DDR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Thicket Elemental occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Thicket Elemental Discussion
10 months ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
1 year ago
@Sinkandswim - ahh.. i see.. it does feel underwhelming during turns 6 onward due to lack of card draw.. i'll see what i can do.. thanks for the comment!
@antlers12 - hmmm.. she is a good planeswalker for this deck! another possible redundancy for Soul's Fire and/or Fling ! However, she's still expensive.. I may pass for now, maybe wait next year when M20 rolls out of standard format.. Thanks!
@joratos801 - Territorial Allosaurus costs too high of a kicker spell at 7 CMC for a creature that can fight another creature and it's only a 5/5.. Thicket Elemental is not great. As much as it is a kicker spell, the ETB effect is minimal, when i want to cast my creatures to get the kicker cost.. I have already considered Deathforge Shaman and Torch Slinger , but ultimately removed them for better efficient kicker spells.. The casting cost for both is high for a couple of burn or possible removal of a X/2 creature on the battlefield.. But thanks anyway for the suggestions!
@hopito - Are you sure you're talking about Strionic Resonator or Illusionist's Bracers ? lol. but that card is interesting.. It can help burn each opponent twice for 2 mana, but it is still 2 additional mana along with more mana from kicking spells.. I might revise the deck to include a lot of ramp so that I can accommodate that, but thanks for the suggestion!
1 year ago
1 year ago
I'm curious on what I should replace those cards with. I definetely want more consistency with a few cards, like Larger Than Life but also some removal, which would help this deck out tremendously.
Thanks for any help!
1 year ago
Maybe add more ways to get lands into grave. I like whisperwood as a subtle way to do that. It and all the token generators work well with sac outlets
1 year ago
I would get rid of the Bioessence Hydra is only worth it with a lot of Planeswalkers. I would add in instead Pir, Imaginative Rascal and his buddy Toothy, Imaginary Friend . Also Sphinx of the Guildpact has nothing to do with your strategy better add Thrummingbird . Thicket Elemental is also something to consider to get rid of and instead run Vigor . Omnibian is also something i wouldn't run --> Deepglow Skate is better. Bloom Hulk also is not really something you would want to run Inexorable Tide is miles better.
1 year ago
Embodiment of Fury + Embodiment of Insight
Furnace of Rath to replace Gratuitous Violence for mana efficiency
2 years ago
I'd drop Mossbridge Troll since you only have 2 creatures with 10+ power and not many ways for +1/+1 counters.
You have plenty of mana ramp, so I would personally throw in a Thicket Elemental with kicker to cheat another creature to the battlefield.
I also think a must for this deck is Tooth and Nail , ESPECIALLY since you already have a Concordant Crossroads . If for whatever reason you don't have your Crossroads out you can just TNN Surrak, the Hunt Caller + anything else to have it attack that turn.