Creature — Human Wizard
Kicker (1)(Red) (You may pay an additional (1)(Red) as you play this spell.)
When Verduran Emissary enters the battlefield, if the kicker cost was paid, destroy target artifact. It can't be regenerated.
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Phyrexia vs. The Coalition (DDE)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Verduran Emissary Discussion
6 months ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
1 year ago
I have really enjoyed seeing you play your deck on MTGMuddstah. Have you considered Comet Storm, Canopy Surge, and Molten Disaster? It seems that Hallar is really good at nuking all opponents, so effects like these three can hit all of your opponents while also triggering Hallar, plus they can usually survive the Disaster, too.
Goblin Ruinblaster, Joraga Warcaller, Overload, and Verduran Emissary are all strong kicker cards that seem worth testing as well. I love the strategy of focusing on +1/+1 counters and just using the good kicker spells, but maybe you could swap out some of the more situational cards, like Unstable Footing and Sporeback Troll?
Great deck, love the strat.
2 years ago
A few suggestions:
Shape of the Wiitigo is quite expensive for what it does
Primeval Bounty expensive card for what it does
Primal Vigorchances of you casting this, then passing and letting your opponents use it first are high, imo.
Death's Presence you don't have that many creature to benefit from this.
Ashling the Pilgrim seems like a weak board wipe. Might be okay, though, but expensive.
Jugan, the Rising Star is just kinda bad, and you can do better for 6 aman
Rage Forger1 damage across 2-3 creatures won't make a big difference, even if it's across a few turns.
Soul's Might I don't think this is good.
Verduran Emissary Scrounging Bandar Keldon Overseer Fungal Behemoth Citanul Woodreaders Burst Lightning seem okay, but work nicely with what you're trying to do. Maximising on kicker is the way to go, imo.
Rishkar's Expertise goes in almost every green deck. It's crazy good, especially with a giant commander.