Liliana of the Veil
Planeswalker — Liliana
+1: Each player discards a card.
-2: Target player sacrifices a creature.
-6: Separate all permanents target player controls into two piles. That player sacrifices all permanents in the pile of their choice.
|Have (8)||, CompleteWaste , lorddarkstar , dexxter7 , CampbellStev , TrystonSpencer , NapoleonBonaparte , gildan_bladeborn|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Liliana of the Veil Discussion
6 days ago
TransMarx Thanks for the thoughts! This is a different direction than what I've been going in, but I'll give it a try and see if it works better.
I've never dropped below 3 Archon of Cruelty , that thing is insane when you don't pay full price. I've been looking for replacements for It That Betrays (killer with haste, vulnerable without it), and both Ashen Rider and Terastodon were on the short list. It's probably time to make that change.
Bone Shards is great and worthy of at least a sideboard slot, if not main deck. Liliana of the Veil comes down when this version of the deck wants to be dropping its finishers, but I'll try it alongside your suggested line. I tried Unmarked Grave for a while, but there was only enough space for so many MV2 graveyard fillers, and Collective Brutality and Thrilling Discovery did enough in initial testing to make the cut. I'll revisit it, since it will help reliability, but in the end it's a one-trick pony. If Dark Ritual ever shows up in Modern (not gonna happen), Unmarked Grave would be jammed in immediately.
6 days ago
reanimator is a tough build rn, as dredge is a forever staple to the format (always middle of the pack at the least, and top tier when new tools are printed) every deck will just have great sb options against you even if you pop off game 1, secondly in modern you kind of need your deck to be doing a few things to be viable. Can't just go ALL IN on one strat, the more diversified your play style and more modular your deck the better it holds up in a format with many answers.
my suggestion would be stretch the deck into a midrange/reanimator style deck for reanimator targets I'd stick with Archon of Cruelty as a 3-4 of and add a singleton of Terastodon and maybe an Ashen Rider essentially all your reanimated creatures have to DO SOMETHING as soon as they hit the board.
but yeah got to diversify the deck to do more than one thing, get some just solid value out of everything that is played and like honestly no more than 3-5 reanimator targets MAX.
1 week ago
Played a quick game against W/B Pox Reanimator. I don’t even know if the deck was going heavier on Pox but it had Liliana of the Veil , probably as discard outlets.
They led on a pair of Inquisition of Kozilek and Liliana of the Veil to strip me. I was able to hold out long enough to get Gideon, Ally of Zendikar to threaten Lili. They continued stripping me down to top deck mode. I managed to pull Gideon of the Trials to to get an emblem before being taken down. Middle Gideon held down the fort for a couple turns and the opponent ate up their Lingering Souls . I got out Castle Ardenvale to help with the Smallpox . They got out a Priest of Fell Rites and I followed up fortelling Doomskar . We went a couple turns with a Knight Ally token and Priest trading blows with Castle providing blocks for Priest. They got a Smallpox to eat some board and eternalized Priest to get Archon of Cruelty to kill my token. I stupidly forgot about my Doomskar for a turn but was kinda hoping for a Path to Exile or Solitude but I ended up blowing it up on the next hit. They followed up with a Persist and I pulled a useless Stoneforge Mystic .
That was a slug fest as they stripped my hand, I deployed threats, they are my threats and got out a big boi with me blanking on removal. I should note that I had a Path earlier in the game but between double Inquisition, several Liliana activations, and Smallpox , I had lost it before it was relevant. We’ll played, opponent.
2 weeks ago
I'd also cut down some on the lands, 25 is overboard for a midrange deck like this. You could probably get by with 22-23.
2 weeks ago
JacenSolo29 as far as the next update goes, I’m waiting to see if there is anything else that drops from MH2, but I think we have the complete list now.
My first impressions are:
1) Faithless Salvaging - this works better than Thrill of Possibility since it can be cast on an empty hand and the rebound can’t be caught by hand disruption. Instant is nice if we really do want to cast on opponent’s end step. Then, if we draw an instant, we can cast with rebound on the stack to get full value.
2) Prismatic Ending - I personally really REALLY like this. Great against aggro, Humans, Jund, Ponza, Death's Shadow (minus Gurmag Angler ). See (https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/home/is-prismatic-ending-the-new-swords-to-plowshares/)
3) Damn - again, LOVE IT! Definitely love the versatility, but I don’t know if it would replace Dreadbore (hits PWs), Fatal Push (instant and cheaper), or Engineered Explosives (can be triggered at instant speed and can be cheaper). Definitely a consideration for spots that previously included Damnation or Wrath of God .
4) General Ferrous Rokiric - I personally really like this. Immune to most removal (specifically EFFICIENT removal) such as Lightning Bolt , Path to Exile , Fatal Push , and Cryptic Command bouncing it. If you play a lot of multicolor spells, like Kolaghan's Command , Kaya's Guile , Kaya, Orzhov Usurper , Nahiri, the Harbinger , Dreadbore / Terminate , and Lightning Helix , then you definitely benefit from having this.
5) Dragon's Rage Channeler - this has a Magmatic Channeler feel to it and couples well with the graveyard-centric focus. If you opt for utility ARTIFACTS, like Mishra's Bauble , Damping Sphere , or Engineered Explosives , ENCHANTMENTS, like Blood Moon , or PLANESWALKERS, like Liliana of the Veil or any of the previously mentioned PWs, then you have an even easier time to activate Delirium. You do have to attack every turn, but having flying as evasion is really nice. Surveil is good if we start running more Flashback spells, like more Lingering Souls or Smiting Helix .
7) Obsidian Charmaw - OMG there are SO many Tron hate cards in this set, and I LOVE it. If Tron or Eldrazi Tron get more popular through all the hate from this set, then this would be great to add create a clock.
8) Vindicate - old EDH tech being added to Modern. I like the idea of destroying anything, but sorcery speed and 3 cmc, with everything else that has come into the game (and power creep), makes me unsure of its power. Could be what we need, but 3cmc is already crowded in the list.
9) Flame Blitz - UW/x, Jund, and maybe Tron typically run more PWs, so if we forgo running PWs, ourselves, then this serves as an extremely cheap PW hate card. Cycling is nice if we draw it and the opponent has side boarded out a majority of their PWs.
10) Harmonic Prodigy - if we bring back Young Pyromancer , add in Dark Confidant , and focus on Prowess, then I think this would rather have a home in a Feather, the Redeemed /spell-slinger deck. Still, it would be ok here, with the high spell count we run.
11) Sanctifier en-Vec - I don’t think we want to use this... definitely expect it in Burn or D&T lists against us.
12) Dauthi Voidwalker - now THIS we can use. Basically Sanctifier en-Vec , but unilateral hate and can help against Dredge or other recursion based decks. I like that we can sac on targeted removal and cast one of their spell(s). can conflict with our spells, but we are usually ok. If we get Blood Moon ed, we can usually laugh it off and power through it.
13) Bone Shards - in the primer, I’ve indicated that Mardu Pyro has different variants (spells/grave, PW, and Aristocrat/tokens). I feel this would slot nicely into an token deck, along with Village Rites , Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger , and Afterlife creatures.
14) Fury - at first glance, I’ve been conflicted. Seems ok as protection from aggro strategies, but I wish it had either 1 more toughness, did more damage, hit players, or cost less. It just seems... meh... I’m skeptical, but I’ve definitely been proven wrong before, so I’ll keep my mind open.
15) Mine Collapse - great if we run a bit more heavy on lands and run late. Too bad it doesn’t hit players though... a common theme from cards this set.
16) Arcbound Whelp / Esper Sentinel /Knighted Myr - another idea that has come to fruition from this set is Mardu Affinity. No, we won’t tech for Hardened Scales , but the removal suite that we run, in addition to these new artifact creatures (and lands!) is tempting enough to test some brews.
I hope this gives an idea of what we could change for the deck. The list was roughly done in the order of what we would tech in to the current build, but anything is possible! Let me know what you all think.
Edit: some of the cards (Knighted Myr, Mine Collapse, and Bone Shards) did not have the links set up in TappedOut as of the time of this post, so I do apologize for that.
4 weeks ago
Finally, I'm not sold on having Liliana of the Veil in your deck. She is very powerful in 1v1 magic but drops in power when you have multiple opponents. Her plus ability is powerful but often you will find that you are helping your opponent with an ability like that. If she was played in a deck with more of a discard theme, then that plus ability would be a lot better. Her minus is removal, but your one opponent gets a choice and they will always choose the best options for themselves. Her ultimate is very powerful, but it also only hits one opponent.
I also have a copy of Liliana of the Veil and don't run her in any of my black decks. I even have reanimator decks and don't feel as if I can justify running her.
4 weeks ago
Ramp (12): Kiora, the Crashing Wave , Nissa, Who Shakes the World , Teferi, Temporal Archmage , Astral Cornucopia , Chromatic Lantern , Sol Ring , Circuitous Route , Cultivate , Explosive Vegetation , Kodama's Reach , Oath of Ajani , and Harrow
Card Advantage (11): Ajani Unyielding , Jace, Unraveler of Secrets , Jace, the Mind Sculptor , Kiora, the Crashing Wave , Liliana, Dreadhorde General , Tamiyo, Collector of Tales , Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , Teferi, Temporal Archmage , Vraska, Golgari Queen , Toothy, Imaginary Friend , and Tezzeret's Gambit
Removal (12): Ajani Unyielding , Liliana of the Veil , Liliana, Dreadhorde General , Liliana, Waker of the Dead , Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , Ugin, the Spirit Dragon , Vraska the Unseen , Vraska, Golgari Queen , Vraska, Relic Seeker , Assassin's Trophy , Fierce Guardianship , and Path to Exile
1 month ago
I’m not too familiar with the deck but I think Liliana of the Veil would be good here.
She’s really expensive though so maybe that’s why you didn’t include her.